joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July high heat WX disco

CapturedNature

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't see 95F on a N wind often, but here we are.

HVN SA 1753 AO2A 65 SCT 10+ 204/95/65/0105/

It did this on May 25th, I think it was 2010... The highs were in the mid to upper 90s on a N wind.  Then, MCS came down from the NNW later in the evening.   

Who was it that had 100F at BDL yesterday or today? Ouch. MOS munching FTL.

You'd think that MOS would somehow have enough thermodynamics/physics in it to know that Tolland lapse rates are only a theoretical concept and not reality.

There are absolutely no support for temperatures near 100° yesterday.

In fact, I went with 94°F (for average high of DXR/MMK/IJD/BDL) with my 9 a.m. forecast. MOS guidance had 95°F at MMK from 06z Monday and higher numbers, I'm sure for BDL.

Yesterday's inland CT highs:
DXR: 91°F

MMK: 93°F

IJD: 92°F

BDL: 94°F

Avg: 92°F, so I was actually 2°F too high. A far cry from the stations and forecasters screaming 95-100°F.

The 850mb temperature was about 17°C, which based off of my research yields an approximate high of 91° at DXR given the conditions observed. You can tack on about 2°F for stations like MMK/BDL. I saw no reason to go above the low to perhaps mid-90's for yesterday.

People collectively in a tone of celebrating some kind of cooler edge to the day ... meanwhile, today has edged now to be the hotter of the last 3 for several interior sites in this heat wave.  

Btw, ORH is now 89 ; I think they have a decent shot at putting up a 90 on the 6-hourlies.

Still, I think the ownership of any bias should really go to the MOS, which has routinely busted too warm during all three of these heat waves thus far. 

Scott and I were discussing the WAR [probable] correlation there - 

scooter

Blue Hill does it too for their manual observations. When I observed there (and still observe on occasion) it caught me by surprise but it was cool to learn and actually put to use. This was their 1:00 PM EST observation in SA code:

BHO SA 1755 50 SCT 80 SCT 30 205/89/67/3209/014/ FEW MDT CU AND CUFRA

ALQDS ACCG DSNT S THN K LYR DSNT ALQDS HAZY WND 29V35/ 8/260 58008 10090

Archived