• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July. High summer 2013-a humid and warm start. Is big heat lurking? Banter ok here.

weathafella

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

should be a decent heat wave but IMHO this July has not felt like the warmest summer ever as some have suggested, high overnight lows is a bootleg way to set records.

It's not the intensity this year...agree temps have been warm but not spectacularly do. What sets this year apart is the high dews consistently mitigated occasionally by the BDF.

Have had 10 days here AOA 90 but you work here in the city so you know how that goes.

I do but it's only a couple days a week, thankfully.  Death Valley is an apt nickname when it comes to scorchers.  Next week should feature a few hot ones here.  It sometimes amazes me though driving home - it'll be 5-10° cooler there.

Is there a bootleg way to set cold weather records in the middle of winter ?

See January 2004.  Minima weren't all that low, but some windy afternoons were pretty tough.  Month's low for the Farmiington COOP was a relatively modest -18; they've touched -20 or lower in 50 of 119 Januarys there.  However, they recorded 7 days that month with maxima 3F or lower, including -8 and -6 on 14th and 15th, which are tied for 2nd/tied for 4th lowest maxima on record.  The cold invariably came with wind, which kept the maxima down but prevented radiational cooling at night.

Yesah............

• Today Mostly sunny, with a high near 80. Northeast wind around 10 mph.
  • Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 58. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
  • Saturday Sunny, with a high near 83. North wind around 5 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
  • Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 58. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
  • Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 87. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
  • Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 64.
  • Monday Sunny, with a high near 86.
  • Monday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 66.
  • Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 84.
  • Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 65.
  • Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 86.
  • Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 67.
  • Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 85.

See January 2004. Minima weren't all that low, but some windy afternoons were pretty tough. Month's low for the Farmiington COOP was a relatively modest -18; they've touched -20 or lower in 50 of 119 Januarys there. However, they recorded 7 days that month with maxima 3F or lower, including -8 and -6 on 14th and 15th, which are tied for 2nd/tied for 4th lowest maxima on record. The cold invariably came with wind, which kept the maxima down but prevented radiational cooling at night.

-8F for a max is impressive. Even for Farmington

I think I hit my lowest low (-18) during that month

We need to pool our resources and get John some new graphics software.

Lol - word.

Although, I hate upgrading because the very process of using the Internet for anything now is an advertisement trap, forcing your attention - and that's what hate.  The whole design of the Internet is turning into a metaphor for "Clockwork Orange".   Based on a petty greed-based industry of hollowness.   

You can't even click on an interesting news story at CNN without watching a commercial now.  They even drub up/invent these headlines just to con you into clicking a link, and when the video app launches, you find yourself instead hearing about some random dude's erectile dysfunction.  Gross!  

I don't want any part of the pettiness.   People think they have to make a f buck at every waking turn is just bogging the Internet down and making it unusable.  I have nothing against free-enterprise, but there is distinction between making an honest buck vs slowing progress down in the name of one's petty pursuit of pennies.    

Even youtube is doing it now.  

See January 2004.  Minima weren't all that low, but some windy afternoons were pretty tough.  Month's low for the Farmiington COOP was a relatively modest -18; they've touched -20 or lower in 50 of 119 Januarys there.  However, they recorded 7 days that month with maxima 3F or lower, including -8 and -6 on 14th and 15th, which are tied for 2nd/tied for 4th lowest maxima on record.  The cold invariably came with wind, which kept the maxima down but prevented radiational cooling at night.

I feel like low temps on radiational cooling nights is more bootleg to setting records than low max...probably because most of us are out during the day and feel the daytime highs. If BDL has a day where the high is 26F but the low is -5F and its very calm winds and clear skies...the daytime won't feel that cold. If they have a day where its 16/5 but windy...I feel like that is more "impressive" from a sensible wx standpoint. Both days would put up the same average temp, but I'm sure the latter would feel way colder.

Using our spread out network of first-order stations as a proxy for actual areal coverage of heat, 7/10/1936 clocks in as one of the hottest days ever with 84 of the 214 stations (39%) in existence at that time registering highs in the triple digits. Four days later was also impressive with 20% of all reporting stations at or above 105 for high temps. To put these historical distributions of heat in perspective, of the top 20 days since record keeping began, only 8/2/2011 makes it from the last few decades. '34, '36, and '54 had some truly widespread scorching days across the country and accordingly dominate the top 20.

Lol - word.

Although, I hate upgrading because the very process of using the Internet for anything now is an advertisement trap, forcing your attention - and that's what hate.  The whole design of the Internet is turning into a metaphor for "Clockwork Orange".   Based on a petty greed-based industry of hollowness.   

You can't even click on an interesting news story at CNN without watching a commercial now.  They even drub up/invent these headlines just to con you into clicking a link, and when the video app launches, you find yourself instead hearing about some random dude's erectile dysfunction.  Gross!  

I don't want any part of the pettiness.   People think they have to make a f buck at every waking turn is just bogging the Internet down and making it unusable.  I have nothing against free-enterprise, but there is distinction between making an honest buck vs slowing progress down in the name of one's petty pursuit of pennies.    

Even youtube is doing it now.  

Download Adblock

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en

I didn't include a link for IE because, well, you shouldn't use IE.

Using our spread out network of first-order stations as a proxy for actual areal coverage of heat, 7/10/1936 clocks in as one of the hottest days ever with 84 of the 214 stations (39%) in existence at that time registering highs in the triple digits. Four days later was also impressive with 20% of all reporting stations at or above 105 for high temps. To put these historical distributions of heat in perspective, of the top 20 days since record keeping began, only 8/2/2011 makes it from the last few decades. '34, '36, and '54 had some truly widespread scorching days across the country and accordingly dominate the top 20.

I'm surprised July 1995 didn't make it on there...though perhaps there was too much troughing on each side of that mega heat ridge "ruining" the arial coverage of it.

Oh I have adblockers.    I'm talking about the actual content being led off by an ad, at the source.  different.   

I'm surprised July 1995 didn't make it on there...though perhaps there was too much troughing on each side of that mega heat ridge "ruining" the arial coverage of it.

7/28/1995 comes in at 81st place list which is very impressive since we're talking about 40,000+ days of history. Half of the days in that July are ranked in the top 7% of hottest days.

Oh I have adblockers.    I'm talking about the actual content being led off by an ad, at the source.  different.   

I might be misunderstanding you, but you're referring to the ads that are now typically included at the start of most online videos? If so then you can block those ads. I haven't watched an ad on ESPN, Youtube, Yahoo etc in months. If you're referring to something else then I apologize.

I might be misunderstanding you, but you're referring to the ads that are now typically included at the start of most online videos? If so then you can block those ads. I haven't watched an ad on ESPN, Youtube, Yahoo etc in months. If you're referring to something else then I apologize.

No, I'm probably wrong then...  I just threw my hands at it 6 mo ago in disgust and didn't look into it any deeper. 

There's different kinds of adblockers.. I was talking about the kind that comes with Chrome or Firefox ...etc.  But I wasn't aware there were those that blocked the youtube and CNN streaming.   I'll have to check those links you gave.

Archived