12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
July Obs

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are probably talking about this one I catch on radar.

Yup, it was purty on radar, so nicely semi circular as it approached.  It was very pleasant on the lake, but the lightening chased us off after a couple of hours.  Saw some great cloud formations...mammatus into mares tales, but I'm not taking my camera out in the boat, so no pics...and no 20 lbs large mouth pics either, lol.   It waited 2 more hours to rain finally, and I only got .15.  T

Well, since horses are measured in "hands", maybe "fists" is a old measurement for hail..... just kidding

True enough but a "hand" as used in this way does have a specific value of 4".

Parts of a hand are given after the whole unit, following a decimal. 10.2 hands (can also be read as just Ten-two) means ten hands and two more inches. (4 inches x 10 hands equals 40 inches, plus two additional inches, so 10.2 is 42 inches tall). 10.3 would be 10 hands and 3 inches, forty-three (43) inches. There is no such thing as 10 hands 4 inches, as 4 inches would be an additional hand. However, even fractions of an inch can be listed, such as 10.3 ¾ hh. (Ten hands, 3 ¾" inches, or Ten-three and three-quarters: just ¼" shy of a full 11 hands.)

And now you know, the rest of the story.  Good day!

True enough but a "hand" as used in this way does have a specific value of 4".

Parts of a hand are given after the whole unit, following a decimal. 10.2 hands (can also be read as just Ten-two) means ten hands and two more inches. (4 inches x 10 hands equals 40 inches, plus two additional inches, so 10.2 is 42 inches tall). 10.3 would be 10 hands and 3 inches, forty-three (43) inches. There is no such thing as 10 hands 4 inches, as 4 inches would be an additional hand. However, even fractions of an inch can be listed, such as 10.3 ¾ hh. (Ten hands, 3 ¾" inches, or Ten-three and three-quarters: just ¼" shy of a full 11 hands.)

And now you know, the rest of the story.  Good day!

Good information....I really miss the Paul Harvey stories. So, we could consider the hail around 2 inches in diameter....seem reasonable to me.

Was out in the beech community near weaverville where they have had storms train over them the past four days. I had a softball game out there tonight and the gnats were the worst I have ever seen. I could see them swarming outside my car window before I got out. Needless to say the sky was just hazy then all of the sudden there was a massive clap of thunder and a downpour ensued. It took about a minute for a rriver to form over the infield. That makes like three straight weeks of canceled games. How much more rain can areas like this take? We have to be getting close to uncharted waters. There are sink holes all over the place and small mudslides it seems on every slope. I mean there is even a small mudslide right outside the main tunnel in Asheville. There are t storms in the forcast for the next 7 days, I really hope that doesn't verify.

Ya I am sure that does not feel to good.

Better today with more passing clouds to block to the sun. No storms nearby looks like the closest ones are down towards Topsail Island and ILM.

You are like a magnet for rain and storms out there Met, :lol:

currently mostly sunny and 81/67. Got to a high here in OBX of 88

Just had a  tropical deluge.  Got `1.1 in maybe 20 minutes.  I was walking across the yard and you could hear it coming, like a band of sleet in the leaves.  No scout drops, just the clouds bursting open.  The thing about these downpours is the tender grass shoots from the seed I put out to stop the wash out, got washed out :)  One day I had grass coming up everywhere, and the next it was scoured clean again.  I'd have had better luck trying to remember to turn on the sprinkler every day.  Not really complaining as much as rumination on how an inch spread out over 24 hours would please me even more, lol.  T

Just had a tropical deluge. Got `1.1 in maybe 20 minutes. I was walking across the yard and you could hear it coming, like a band of sleet in the leaves. No scout drops, just the clouds bursting open. The thing about these downpours is the tender grass shoots from the seed I put out to stop the wash out, got washed out :) One day I had grass coming up everywhere, and the next it was scoured clean again. I'd have had better luck trying to remember to turn on the sprinkler every day. Not really complaining as much as rumination on how an inch spread out over 24 hours would please me even more, lol. T

Lol, We had the same thing except our only lasted 5 minutes. Now just light rain. We have picked up 0.41 so far. That rain came down extremely hard. Had a wind gust of 41mph.

That storm east of Marietta and over TWC must be a beast.

Greensboro is getting hammered.  3" radar estimate of rainfall in the past 1 hour.  Storm is just sitting over them and amazingly shows no weakening. If anything, it has gotten stronger in the past 15 minutes.  Flood warning was issued about 30 minutes ago.

Meanwhile here, a few miles SW, it's a bright sunny afternoon.

Greensboro is getting hammered. 3" radar estimate of rainfall in the past 1 hour. Storm is just sitting over them and amazingly shows no weakening. If anything, it has gotten stronger in the past 15 minutes. Flood warning was issued about 30 minutes ago.

Drove thru that storm up around Danbury an hour ago. Very potent. Had it in 4wd from the deep water on the roads. Buses scrambling to pluck tubers out of the Dan River.

Greensboro is getting hammered.  3" radar estimate of rainfall in the past 1 hour.  Storm is just sitting over them and amazingly shows no weakening. If anything, it has gotten stronger in the past 15 minutes.  Flood warning was issued about 30 minutes ago.

NWS reports water rescues underway and multiple house fires due to severe cloud to ground lightning.

Back in NC for a week and already have seen 2 storms, both with impressive lightning. Have not seen too much activity this season on Long Island other than sea breeze convection away from my location. Hopefully will get some more storms before my trip is over.

Archived