Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July Obs

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Late today I walked near the Chattahoochee and it was quite pleasant for mid-summer. What made it extra pleasant was that the river was extra fast and high. Also, there was thick fog over the river making for some very cool scenery. I'm thinking this was possibly because some extra water was let out of Lanier. I wonder if that made the river colder than usual, causing the thick fog. When the wind was blowing toward me from the river, I could actually feel a very pleasant tiny bit of chill!

Should be a FFW for Guilford County coming any time now, it's been absolutely pouring here for over an hour and it's not like we've had time to dry out.  I have about 2" at my house but radar has estimated close to 4 in some locations and that's in barely more than an hour.

Had a nice lightning + thunder show pass through Florence, Alabama over the last hour or so.  Shortly before hitting us it had been SVR, but weakened pretty significantly.  Lots of noise and light and about .75" rain.

We soooo do not need more rain.  The Tennessee river is in flood stages across most of Alabama, it seems, and the spillways at the Wilson Dam are just plain spectacular.  My camera's battery charger is not with me, unfortunately, or I'd have grabbed a lot of footage of the dam with every spillway not merely open but water shooting out 30 feet or more before falling.  Incredible turbulence and water boiling and whirlpooling even in areas where we normally moor the boat and fish.  Driving over the dam was driving through mist, and the noise absolutely deafening.

SE of here, well east of Huntsville, there were funnel clouds sighted.  I don't know if anything hit ground there or not.

The fishing below the dam would be spectacular if it you could actually get up there in a boat (and somehow stay there against the insane whitewater).

Got a nice 1.3 yesterday evening, which puts me over 5 inches for the 7 day period.  Had lots of rolling thunder today, but only got drops here.  Ran into a ton of rain when I went to the grocery though.  Sure spotty around here...you either get hammered or the sun makes the 140 percent humidity torture.  

Nice narrative Sharon.... I enjoyed that read :) T

Winter is 163 days, 4 hrs and 44 minutes away :lol:  Fall is 73 days 4 hrs and 44 minutes away   :wub:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least all that moisture lead to a hell of a thunderstorm around 4. Torrential rains, frequent lighting and small hail fell near my location. I was in a movie, unfortunately, but I heard the rain for the first hour of the movie. Officially, we picked up 2.1", but would bet that we picked up close to 3" just north of there. LOVE slow moving thunderstorms. :D

1.55" last eve

Wow, that like octaquadzipples your recent totals.  I hope the woodland creatures didn't freak out :)

CMan!  In a movie, wow...you don't mess around getting a new start!!  So when do you head out west to LaLa Land :) 

Lots of clouds out there, so it ain't too bad, might go fishing later.  Looks like any rain should be past us in a few hours.  Unless radar starts bubbling thunder puppies here pretty quick.    T

Hey guys, my phone wont play the animation for the radar and my laptop is in use (movie) so can someone explain the movement of these storms? Im in fayetteville, are they moving towards ne? Already got a ton of rain, pouring now...

Can I get a "First World Problems!"?  Anyone?  Anyone?

3v5fx2.jpg

Sorry, man, that was too funny!   :P  :lol:

I took a walk for the third day in a row adjacent to the fog covered Chattahoochee River. Once again, I could feel the cooling influence of the river, and the fog spread out from the river especially after sunset. Very pleasant.

Tony, in case you read this, I wanted to know if the moles are ready for their trip to Savannah tomorrow. Are they still on schedule? If so, I need to get my butt down there. They would be totally lost without their gecko host.

Archived