• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

Well I know here there was a light lake breeze before the main slug of cooler air aimed down the lake from the northeast. What your seeing is two different marine air masses outlined by the NW to SE lake breeze front and the N to S boundary.

That cell in McHenry County looks intense. Can see the cloud tops from here clearly.

ah....gotchya thanks!  didn't get a drop here last night...so was hoping to squeak out some drops from this set of activity....now it may end up missing me to the west...lol

Edit:  some 65DBZ popping on that cell....gotta be some embedded hail in there

Edit 2:  BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

739 PM CDT SAT JUL 20 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN COOK COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS...

NORTHWESTERN DUPAGE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS...

KANE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS...

SOUTH CENTRAL MCHENRY COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS...

* UNTIL 845 PM CDT

* AT 736 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED 5 MILES SOUTHEAST

OF MARENGO...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

HAZARD...QUARTER SIZE HAIL AND 60 MPH WIND GUSTS.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been nearly two weeks since our last rain.  We had a decent chance today, but the line approaching CR has fizzled as the storms focus farther southwest.  Midweek was looking good, but that has been pushed well south now.  The Friday system has also been pushed south.  The latest Euro now has good rain next Sunday, but who knows if that will pan out.  At least the recent heat was modest so we haven't dried out too badly.  Aside from the lack of rain, most of the next ten days are looking pretty nice.

Clouds shading things a bit. Probably hit the high.

To all you guys in Illinois. I went through the terrific state of Illinois with the terrific 65 speed limits and terrific expensive gas. I went through Peoria on Friday when it was 96/69 (Heat index 101.5) (CAPE of 4000 J/kg) with 16mph wind. That's the hottest I have experienced with upper 60's dew points since 2006.  I have been at higher elevation with lower dew points for all days with temps over 96 that I've experienced since then.

To all you guys in Illinois. I went through the terrific state of Illinois with the terrific 65 speed limits and terrific expensive gas. I went through Peoria on Friday when it was 96/69 (Heat index 101.5) (CAPE of 4000 J/kg) with 16mph wind. That's the hottest I have experienced with upper 60's dew points since 2006.  I have been at higher elevation with lower dew points for all days with temps over 96 that I've experienced since then.

Sorry about that. We don't like the expensive gas either! (Actually I have the option of filling up in WI.) Can't do much about the speed limit. I like your mountain climate better than this one, especially the summer part of it. 

---

Lots of storms starting to sag into N IL. Some will likely follow the lake cooled boundary and curve to the southeast and head for Chicagoland and towards SW MI and N IN later. About to get hit by the first cell now.

MKX.N0Q.20130721.2110.gif

The Windsor Airport is at 10.3" of rain so far for the month of July, which is enough to place it in the #1 spot for wettest month on record. We still have another 10 days left to go in this month and it's not inconceivable that we could surpass the 12" mark given the way things have been going so far. Since June 1st, 16.4" of rain has fallen there.

Archived