Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a big thunderstorm IMBY too, tropical feeling downpours. Somehow managed to make it up to 93F IMBY before the storm blew in, now it's an insanely humid 82.

It's amazing how the ARB-DTW corridor has been getting it good everyday this week (including michsnowfreak and the SW part of the city).

Next to nothing has happened on my side of town this week so far.

Temp/DP fluctuations due to storm interaction at a few select locations today...

ARR:

1:52PM - 94/73
2:52PM - 92/74
3:22PM - 90/73
3:34PM - 84/75 (0.08" Rain)
3:38PM - 81/73 (69MPH Gust/0.18" Rain)
3:52PM - 79/72 (0.36" Rain)
4:10PM - 82/75
4:52PM - 89/76
5:52PM - 90/75
6:52PM - 89/75

DPA:

1:52PM - 92/72
2:52PM - 89/72
3:52PM - 85/77 (0.07" Rain)
4:04PM - 82/75 (34MPH Gust/0.12" Rain)
4:09PM - 75/72 (0.43" Rain)
4:21PM - 81/70 (0.53" Rain)
5:52PM - 82/74
5:52PM - 87/76
6:52PM - 88/75

Skilling going with 97° now tomorrow. Compressional warming ahead of the front?

As myself and RC stated last night...

If things work out correctly (Limited cloud issues/no storm issues), Friday might make it up to 96/97. The combination of warmer UA temps, compressional warming ahead of the front and an already warm airmass might be enough to do it. ...Then add in that it's been a bit dry lately too.

This and southwest winds gusting to ~30 mph all factored in to why I went 96 for ORD/MDW and downtown on Friday. A few 97s are sprinkled in over the city in the P & C. After today hit 94 and 95 at ORD and MDW, feeling more confident in a few spots hitting the upper 90s on Friday if convection/cloud issues dont arise earlier in the day as you suggested.

Sent from my SCH-I535  4 Beta

I just don't have confidence that we'll see temps that high though, especially with the earlier front arrival/OFB/cloud/storm issues some of the models are now showing. ...In addition to the afternoon CU we've had to deal with. We'll see...

Well if there was ever a night where we might end up around 80 it might be tonight. Last ob was 86/73 at 10pm.

Isn't the all-time record high minimum temp at DTW 79 or so? Would be interesting to see if we could tie that or break it. I know in the city it has stayed considerably warmer before, I remember one night in the notoriously warm summer of 2005 it didn't drop below 82 degrees here in the city.

Low was 81° in downtown Chicago last night at Northerly Island.

Skilling going with 97° now tomorrow. Compressional warming ahead of the front?

That's crazy. I noticed in the forecast grids a lot of the urbanized areas of Chicago are only forecast to go down to the mid-80's tonight.

Isn't the all-time record high minimum temp at DTW 79 or so? Would be interesting to see if we could tie that or break it. I know in the city it has stayed considerably warmer before, I remember one night in the notoriously warm summer of 2005 it didn't drop below 82 degrees here in the city.

That's crazy. I noticed in the forecast grids a lot of the urbanized areas of Chicago are only forecast to go down to the mid-80's tonight.

MDW still at 86° right now. HI: 93°. Pretty much smack dab in the middle of the core of the UHI. 

Not doing too bad here either for being on the edge of the UHI; 84° still.

Was 80° here at 2 am today.

That mid 80s call seems too high at this rate. Those areas would only have to drop a few more degrees and it's not even 11 PM.

Archived