joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ILN, DTX, and PIT all had 500 mb heights of 599 dm at 12z. As far as I can tell, DTX or any of the previous stations around it have never recorded 600 dm. PIT had the one at 00z. ILN hasn't done it but DAY did once when it was in existence (6/15/78). It's only happened a handful of times anywhere in the Midwest in the past 55 years. It's a more common occurrence out west.

Stationary cluster just a few miles to my SE... no rain but good light show

Sent from my HTCONE 4 Beta

The coop observer very near me got 1.6" in about an hour and a half. Very warm and heavy rain with plenty of CtG strikes. Was not expecting that today.

It's still hot of course. Not summer of 2012 hot, but hot enough. 

I'm ready for winter.

You got that right. This summer feels quite cool so far compared to last year, even though it's only been near/slightly below average around these parts. Spring/Summer 2012 almost made me consider moving north. It was that bad here. Unfortunately, we'll be seeing quite a few more "2012s" in the next few decades than I'd like.

79/73 outside and the air is pretty stagnant tonight. Feels gross out! lol

Couple random pictures. First one is a jungle like ravine near the UW Milwaukee campus. Everything is growing really well!

You could really see the haze in the air, especially if you were viewing it from a high vantage point. Location Hoan Bridge, Milwaukee looking south.

The coop observer very near me got 1.6" in about an hour and a half. Very warm and heavy rain with plenty of CtG strikes. Was not expecting that today.

The air definitely had that "storm" feel to it, although relatively speaking, I was in the "screw zone." I imagine the rainfall rates under those cells were easily greater than 2" per hour with solidly tropical dewpoints up to 700mb.

But we look to do it all over again tomorrow it appears. If anything, I expect the air to be even soupier as the rain water from this evening goes through the evapotranspiration process.

The air definitely had that "storm" feel to it, although relatively speaking, I was in the "screw zone." I imagine the rainfall rates under those cells were easily greater than 2" per hour with solidly tropical dewpoints up to 700mb.

But we look to do it all over again tomorrow it appears. If anything, I expect the air to be even soupier as the rain water from this evening goes through the evapotranspiration process.

PWs are at around 2 inches across southern lower MI with little moisture advection occurring, so it probably won't change much by tomorrow. Currently 78/75 at DTW and 75/74 here. Just gross out.  Extremely moist ridge unlike last year's desert/drought-sourced specials, that's for sure.

The synoptic situation seems no more unfavorable tomorrow for Florida-like convection than it did today, but we'll see.

Archived