joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather Threat 6/17 & 6/18

weatherwiz

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest story for June 2013 is likely to be the +moisture departures.  

The longer range vision going forward looks to be one of drying and heat, to whatever extent... But the pattern is changing.  These cooler than normal thunderstorm times are about the part company with the area, and the new paradigm as outlined in the other thread may be a heat wave followed by alternating hot to normal ...or extended heat.   

Impress rains today -- nice way to end the pattern.  The change begins tomorrow and is full on by Sunday and Monday with ridge arrival and a more substantive expansion of subtropical ridging. 

Anyone know why so many phones went ballistic (text alerts etc) with the Flash Flood Warning today? New service by NWS / phone companies? Or just people using new weather apps? I ask because we've had plenty of prior warnings this year, including just yesterday...

Anyone know why so many phones went ballistic (text alerts etc) with the Flash Flood Warning today? New service by NWS / phone companies? Or just people using new weather apps? I ask because we've had plenty of prior warnings this year, including just yesterday...

Did you sign up? Obama phone?

Anyone know why so many phones went ballistic (text alerts etc) with the Flash Flood Warning today? New service by NWS / phone companies? Or just people using new weather apps? I ask because we've had plenty of prior warnings this year, including just yesterday...Did you sign up? Obama phone?

Lol

Never thought I'd miss my dumb phone

EAS alerts are now pushed to iPhones on AT&T. You can opt out of all of them (in settings) except for presidential alerts. 

EAS alerts are now pushed to iPhones on AT&T. You can opt out of all of them (in settings) except for presidential alerts. 

Gotcha, knew about the AT&T update but didn't realize it would include NWS warnings.

Clearly useful for Tornadoes.

But might need some fine-tuning or getting used to otherwise... people were seriously freaking out about the flash flood warning today lol.

Is that an app or an iPhone 5 thing cuz I didn't get any alerts on my iPhone 4.....didnt see anything in settings....didn't look that hard though.....is it location based? I was in Cheshire during the storms and can't remember if flash flood warning was issued there.....pretty meh actually

Is that an app or an iPhone 5 thing cuz I didn't get any alerts on my iPhone 4.....didnt see anything in settings....didn't look that hard though.....is it location based? I was in Cheshire during the storms and can't remember if flash flood warning was issued there.....pretty meh actually

I had one on my iphone 4...so it was probably based on location. I don't think that area had a flash flood warning.

End of June/early JUly could be pretty active svr wise.

Seriously though the set up does look pretty favorable.

gfsUS_850_temp_090.gif

gfsUS_500_spd_090.gif

You have heat building into the area beneath moderately strong WNW flow aloft. That's usually a pretty good recipe for some strong storms.

Jesus you guys are racking up the water. Makes my 4.1" this month look paltry...though we are around 10" since like mid-May.

I think that's the May-June pattern - NNE doused 2nd half of May, SNE drowned in June.  I've had 3.35" thus far this month, and just over 10" since it learned to rain last month.

Archived