Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Storm Chasing and Media Coverage Ethics

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to respect Brandon, but not after this day. What they did was idiotic, dangerous, and just plain stupid. There was NO reason to be that close to a obviously multiple vortex tornado, that's unpredictable. He's already making excuses on the info for that video, saying chaser convergence prevented them from making a quick escape. Chaser convergence? I counted 3 vehicles counting his in that video. I hope he's happy destroying his brand new jeep for stupid ass video. And the Reed-like screaming was so fake its not even funny. Even when he thought they were "dying", he was still playing to the camera.This may finally be the day that causes regulation, somehow, in storm chasing. Yea, I know, most of them think cops can't regulate it. Most of them think they are invincible, and laws don't apply to them. The amount of chaser posts on FB that they got hit are ridiculous, at least 15-20 of them were hit. And almost all of them are blaming traffic, and can't own up that they were way too close to a very unpredictable tornado. I've only seen one say he admits he was stupid, and got too close. They are supposed to be out there to help people, or so they say. Well today, some of them were a big part of the problem. Like I said earlier, I could care less who I piss off with my thinking about this, I'm growing very tired of the holier then thou attitude by some in the chasing community.

it goes to the obvious fact there is great danger chasing, i guess its easier almost always to point the finger, in the heat of the moment , many storm chasers today were caught in the cross hairs you think they All had a death wish today or that the inherent danger of chasing was on full display thanks to the satelite tornado's catching many off guard? Im personally glad they are safe and in awe of the footage, and i think overall today the satelite tor's were the primary reason chasers "look bad" today

The fact that this guy in the video said "30 more seconds".... Says it all. They took a risk, and almost got killed. They either knew the risk and took it or or didnt know the risk at all. Either way, it was STUPID.. But whatever's, not my life they're gambling with.

1 line says it all in that video....

"30 more seconds"........ THAT'S THE PROBLEM..

Yes that either brings out the smartest  or the dummest in people.  In this case it was the latter of the two, he drove right into two debris streams.   If he didn't have the camera coming maybe he could have said they surprised him.

I used to respect Brandon, but not after this day. What they did was idiotic, dangerous, and just plain stupid. There was NO reason to be that close to a obviously multiple vortex tornado, that's unpredictable. He's already making excuses on the info for that video, saying chaser convergence prevented them from making a quick escape. Chaser convergence? I counted 3 vehicles counting his in that video. I hope he's happy destroying his brand new jeep for stupid ass video. And the Reed-like screaming was so fake its not even funny. Even when he thought they were "dying", he was still playing to the camera.This may finally be the day that causes regulation, somehow, in storm chasing. Yea, I know, most of them think cops can't regulate it. Most of them think they are invincible, and laws don't apply to them. The amount of chaser posts on FB that they got hit are ridiculous, at least 15-20 of them were hit. And almost all of them are blaming traffic, and can't own up that they were way too close to a very unpredictable tornado. I've only seen one say he admits he was stupid, and got too close. They are supposed to be out there to help people, or so they say. Well today, some of them were a big part of the problem. Like I said earlier, I could care less who I piss off with my thinking about this, I'm growing very tired of the holier then thou attitude by some in the chasing community.

I agree with you....while there are some chasers out there trying to protect the public (such as Jeff Piotrowski), the vast majority are simply trying to get "youtube famous" and get a million views.  it's all they care about, and it's pathetic.

I will say this about the chasers getting hit.  I don't know how common it is out there, but I don't recall the SPC having to re-issue a tornado warning for the same tornado very often.  I was watching TWC at the time, and the initial tornado warning pointed southeast toward Moore.  However, the tornado turned so much that, 10-15 minutes later, they reissued it pointing due east toward OKC.  (Correct me if I'm wrong about this.  I was half-asleep on the couch during this time.)

So, yes, they got too close.  However, it seems like this specific tornado didn't behave in a typical manner.  The guy needed to stay calm and was a bit of a ham, and the driver didn't quite know what he was doing, but I wouldn't put all the blame on them.

I will also say that today is the first day I can recall where the tv mets were actually encouraging people to outrun the storm.  Again, I live in Indiana, so I don't know if this is common out there, but that's something else I found odd.

Anyway, there's my two cents.

I wrote this about an hour ago on my personal Facebook. I've been chasing for a few years now and have had some scary situations in the past. Heck, I almost got run over by the Yazoo City tornado back in 2010. Tonight was easily the most terrified I've been on a chase. Is it true at least one OKC met told folks to drive south? Almost got me, my girlfriend, and hundreds of other people killed. Gridlock and panicked folks make for a dangerous situation. I went from chase mode to save my life mode. Every time I thought I was clear, a new circulation would develop and I'd have to start pushing my way through traffic again. I'm still shaking from the adrenalin and fear.

I don't know what happened with the chasers out west, but I was about 10 miles south of the circulation when all the chasers had their 'incident.' You would think OKC would have done great after May 20th. Today was a good example of all the WRONG things folks can do.

I wrote this about an hour ago on my personal Facebook. I've been chasing for a few years now and have had some scary situations in the past. Heck, I almost got run over by the Yazoo City tornado back in 2010. Tonight was easily the most terrified I've been on a chase. Is it true at least one OKC met told folks to drive south? Almost got me, my girlfriend, and hundreds of other people killed. Gridlock and panicked folks make for a dangerous situation. I went from chase mode to save my life mode. Every time I thought I was clear, a new circulation would develop and I'd have to start pushing my way through traffic again. I'm still shaking from the adrenalin and fear.

I don't know what happened with the chasers out west, but I was about 10 miles south of the circulation when all the chasers had their 'incident.' You would think OKC would have done great after May 20th. Today was a good example of all the WRONG things folks can do.

Glad you're okay. There is a lot of anger and outrage toward both some chasers (already visited in this thread) as well as what some local meteorologists did that nearly caused a disaster of epic proportions. I would hope things are seriously looked at after what unfolded tonight -- perhaps that's overly optimistic, but I can hope...

Really severe flooding ongoing in OKC...

If anything, seeing the results of the Moore, OK tornado may have scared the crap out of people and they fled in panic. (not to mention the met calling for people to get out of the way)

CNN is going to play it once more in a minute, they are rewarding this team a lot right now along with TWC.

The media is heavily to blame. They reward stupidity. Granted a lot of people chase too close but clearly today was not the day and people knew that ahead of time. But video has made a lot of schmuck losers famous so what can you do.

I echo all of this. My group basically broke off of everything after the initial El Reno/Union City disaster, but that was traumatic enough as it was. The traffic all around and even outside the metro area this evening was indescribable. On numerous occasions (US-81 from Union City to Chickasha, US-77 from Purcell to Norman, among others), there was mile after mile of bumper-to-bumper traffic in both directions. In other words, half the population of C OK were driving in circles, not even knowing where or why they were going. This is probably the straw that broke the camel's back for chasing in C OK. It hasn't been fun at all for years now, and today, it proved virtually impossible.

Regarding chasers who were hit NW of Union City -- I honestly can't point the finger at any of them for the incident itself, because we came a lot closer to real danger than I had anticipated before it was almost too late. But whoring yourself and your screw-up to the media afterward is simply nauseating, and is basically a choice to throw the chasing community (and any other meteorological affiliations you may have) under the bus. I won't comment any further or in any more specific terms because of my own affiliations and involvement in the field.

I had a very similar experience to David.  I've been chasing for 10 years now and it was the most disturbing chase I've ever been on.

Started way too close to the multi-vortex as it formed.  The circulation wrapped up and dropped S/SE so fast it was hard to believe, literally 2 or 3 minutes from seeing the RFD coming around to having multiple vortices on the ground less than 500 yards away.  Thought the action area was well to the northwest, but everything practically leapt south as it formed.  Had to flee south fast and got slammed by a very intense RFD.

Then it was a gut-wrenching trek through traffic as we ended up trying fleeing the tornado(es) through the OKC metro as apparently everyone in the metro decided to get in their cars and drive south and east.  Really afraid for a while.

Still difficult to really process what happened tonight.  Need a break from chasing.  Even more reason to stick to structure chasing.

Very sad for the people who were killed/hurt.  Hope we dont hear anything else on that front.

3EXthL4.jpg

tiNAfgg.jpg

Archived