• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Storm Chasing and Media Coverage Ethics

Gonna try to make this brief as possible as I hate these long responses in an old thread. So pardon if some of this comes off as rude, merely trying to be brief.

You'll have negativity issues. Need to speed time AWAY from this site. Take a few months and stop posting and reading. Doing so, and seeking out people with a positive attitude may change your mind on many of things discussed here. Some of it is frankly offensive because it lacks experience and perspective (even from those that have "been there").

Stop dwelling on the negative. If you criticize what chasers, media do that you percive is negative you must recognize the positive.

- the policeman who found the baby that was thrown from mothers arms and survived.

- the fellow residents that get in their boats to rescue citizens trapped by floods

- the firemen and police that dive into cold waters to rescue trapped people on ice covered rivers

- the rebuilding of an entire city after a devasting tornado

- the truck driver that survived being turned over.

It is great that everyone loves the meteorological aspects of weather and if that is the thrill you get, than by all means enjoy it. But remember, models, forecasts, etc. are done for what reason? It is the HUMAN factor. Media, including chasers oriented around the media do so to contribute to that factor. Death, injury, destruction is part of the human experience. When I head out and film severe weather (or a house fire, or other situation that isn't rainbows and unicorns) it is to bring a view that many may not related to well without bringing that experience.

I personally take a more hands-off approach when it comes to getting involved with severe events. Get in and get out. I don't need to get int he way of first responders. If I stay, it is only if I can document without interference.

My purpose is to bring as much realism to the the audience. Yes, ethics play a role and conveying a point may not require such an image. Othertimes it is EXACTLY what is needed. Who would argue the merits of the "Napalm Girl" image from 40 years ago. An absolutely volger image, but one of the most important images to come out of the Vietnam conflict. And you better damn well bet that image made money!

So remember that the HUMAN EXPERIENCE is a critical aspect of many chaser's mentality...even ethic...when out there and provide a significantly good contribution. I once was sceptical of "profiting" from the experience, but as Hurricane Charley and then many other experiences taught me, most residents are of the greatest appreciation for bringing the imagery that they would not see otherwise.

PS. I was actually re-writting an ethics page for chasers and those asking about chasing using many of the resources originally provided by Roger Edwards and Tim Vasquez and other sources but brought up to modern context, but with traditional ethics from those most respected in the chasing society. It'll be on my website soon, keep an eye out for it in the next week or so.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lolz.

I am incredibly grateful that I chased Yolanda.  To be able to document a truly historic event (one of the strongest cyclone landfalls in recorded history) and help people in need was double-awesome.  And I feel a sort of lasting connection to the Filipinos-- we've really bonded with the people there. Mark, James, and I will be returning to Tacloban City in February.

The sideline critics are flies in my ears.

Wow, that sounds great. I look forward to meeting you guys in person when you arrive. Be sure to give me a heads up. Not sure if you have checked you inbox recently, sent you a message a while back. 

• 1 month later...

Timmer brought the backwoods NASCAR set into chasing. They think its like hunting and beer drinking.

I'm willing to give Sullivan the benefit of being young and maybe not staying a douche.

I've seen a few conversations on fb relatively recently and this isn't the case. The guy thinks he knows everything.

Archived