joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Memorial Day Weekend Coastal/Snow

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whites will definitely get in on it, but it might take a little longer and the snow level will initially be higher. But I think as the storm matures, the snow levels could lower to below 2,000 feet even in N NH.

Thanks Will!

I'm heading up around 3 today and will update throughout the weekend. Hopefully with pictures to substantiate my outrageous claims. Enjoy the warmth on the Cape Rev Kev, too bad you're going to miss the mangled flakes on Mt. Tolland.

Thanks Will!

I'm heading up around 3 today and will update throughout the weekend. Hopefully with pictures to substantiate my outrageous claims. Enjoy the warmth on the Cape Rev Kev, too bad you're going to miss the mangled flakes on Mt. Tolland.

Hey 53F and a dryslot is beach weather, don't downplay Kevin's hype...break out the BBQs and swim trucks.

In all seriousness, the story of the whole weekend is going to be in NNE where a potentially historic snowstorm is going to occur. I'm getting more confident as we get closer. It would be prety wild if we managed to get accumulating snow as far south as the Berkshires and Monads.

Hey 53F and a dryslot is beach weather, don't downplay Kevin's hype...break out the BBQs and swim trucks.

In all seriousness, the story of the whole weekend is going to be in NNE where a potentially historic snowstorm is going to occur. I'm getting more confident as we get closer. It would be prety wild if we managed to get accumulating snow as far south as the Berkshires and Monads.

I had a dream that Gardner, MA got a coating this weekend...

This board would be going absolutely nuts had this been late April, but the fact that it's really a northern New England storm it's barely a thread. I've noticed this before during similar systems when I'm doing snow angels on the deck and it's a cold rain as nearby as Dendrite who is maybe 40 miles to my south and 500' lower in elevation.

From 2 days below normal? Doubtful. Monday is back to near normal and then the last 3 days roast

Wunderground shows BDL with -4 on Monday which, along with the cold weekend, would bring May to exactly normal.  Then Tues is at par, Wed-Fri warmth boosting the month nearly to +1.  That includes 90/70 for Friday, which I'll believe when it happens.  (The low, anyway - 90F high seems quite possible.)

Edit, for Jeff:  Coburn Mountain FTW!

53 lol

Wunderground shows BDL with -4 on Monday which, along with the cold weekend, would bring May to exactly normal.  Then Tues is at par, Wed-Fri warmth boosting the month nearly to +1.  That includes 90/70 for Friday, which I'll believe when it happens.  (The low, anyway - 90F high seems quite possible.)

Edit, for Jeff:  Coburn Mountain FTW!

Would not be the 1st time up there, And could look similar to this pic.............lol

CoburnMtn-1.jpg

Coburn1.jpg

12z GFS on board again. Not much change, Mid level fronto over NW flow in the lower levels.

Unbelievable...its so cold too. This might be snow in BTV, lol:

130524155142.gif

Keep in mind this is a midday sounding for late May at low elevation. :lol:

Well one historic day in most of New England but rapid improvement Sunday forward.

Yeah, I realize that most are snow endearing fan-favorites ...but, for me, the more fantastic story is that transition itself, from Sunday to next Friday...  Friday could easily exceed 90F.  

Regarding snow...NAM has Montpelier getting a foot of snow at least, that would be devastating with full leaves, higher elevation are not 100% leafed but are at least half way there

Pete's going to come in with reports of 3-6".

I would actually be surprised at this point if they didn't see at least flakes in the Berkshires...not sure how much it will accumulate as that will depend on how robust the deformation/CCB is that far south. The core ofit looks to be further north, but there still may be adequate forcing to produce some accumulations in the high Berkshires...we'll just have to see how things trend over the next 12 hours or so.

If there are those having trouble getting their heads wrapped fully around this potential... just go out to central New York.  They are mixing there now!  And that's not even in the mountains.  My friend IMed me, who lives in central NY ...ESE of the Finger Lakes, and said they have "little snow balls" bouncing off things.   She's aghast!  She was planning today to put in her remaining, less hardier plants, having been conned by recent warmth and humidity.  

That should serve as at least a partial insight/precursor physical indication of what is in store.  This cold insert/anomaly is impressive.  Once dynamics get involved and so forth, yeah...  

Also, even at Logan, the FRH grid has an interval of .11", with temperature profile of +3C, 0C, and -3C, for the 980, 900 and 800mb levels.  That would be 38F at the surface, with snow just off the deck given those numbers.   Pop your eyes and/or roll them if you like;  I am not making this stuff up!  That's what those numbers are -- period.  It (the model) may not be right, sure... but that is was that indicates.  You have a saturated column, precipitating, with NNW wind, and the warmest layer is the surface at just 38F.  

Moreover, if you assume the linear differential between ALB and BOS on that grid suffices reasonably for northern Mass, the ORH Hills and the Monads are snowing.  Sorry.   It just is what it is.  Again, this is not a subjective "want" talking, this is the proper analysis of what that particular model is outputting.      

Deformation Dandy.

I'm going to be surprised if winter storm watches do not go up for the Green Mts above 1,000 feet in the afternoon package...just so long the Euro holds serve, but I have no reason to believe it won't.

Look at that pocket of sufficient 100-850 thickness in a solid red contour...lol. Holy crap.

Yeah that's going to bring snow levels down to at least 1,000 feet and probably significantly lower...to like 500 feet I bet.

I'm going to be surprised if winter storm watches do not go up for the Green Mts above 1,000 feet in the afternoon package...just so long the Euro holds serve, but I have no reason to believe it won't.

Eventually you have to ride with the data given to you. This is incredible.

Archived