Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - Onward Into Summer 2013

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Btw, also a bunch of flooding back in northeast PA. flood warnings in Luzerne/Lackawanna counties. My hometown of Nanticoke got hit with 2.5" within an hour in town, and just to the east near Alden Mtn and Nuangola and Mountaintop, over 3" per hour rainfalls according to radar out of BGM. Flooding also in Plymouth Twp, Kingston, mudslides near Pottsville, flooding attm in Scranton and most of Lackawanna county where rainfall rates of 1.5-2.2" per hour are still falling, at the time of this post. Just an absolute drenching still going on.

Nothing like a dip in the DNA soup that is flood waters around student apartments. 

Haha yea the comment section was flipping out about that. What a wild day. WTAJ actually had an interview with Garrett Bastardi in the 11pm news asking him about what he saw and if he was sure it was a tornado and whatnot. I don't really understand the debate about the videos. The Centre Daily writeup on the storms had an Accuwx meteorologist say this:

“I’ve seen video and pictures, but as far as I can tell, and, again that won’t be determined until we see damage reports, but in anything I have seen, there was not a tornado on the ground,” he said.

“There was some rotation in the clouds in Boalsburg heading out to Pine Grove Mills, but I haven’t seen anything yet to say a tornado has touched the ground.”

I mean what? Bastardi's video clearly shows pretty strong rotation with a funnel near the ground at the very least, but the very end of that video pretty much shows it on the ground IMO. There's also a second video shot near there that there isn't any doubt what it is, despite the video having pretty low resolution. 

<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=168803156626597" width="176" height="132" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Here's also Garrett Bastardi's video (right side up this time)

<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=537673086290158" width="226" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Should also note there's an hour difference in the times of these videos (I believe the other video was shot on 322.. I think.) Regardless, there was tornadic action in Centre County. I would expect the NWS to find evidence of such tomorrow if they go out to survey. The whole feature was fascinating to track through Centre/Clinton counties.. thats for sure. As I mentioned earlier, this was very reminiscent of what you would see on the northeastern quad of a tropical system's feeder bands. The result was much the same as well with quick spinups within this band that wrapped into the meso low. Tough situation to throw up a warning for too. 

now that the major shower/thunderstorm activity has moved out of the commonwealth,

here's the radar-derived storm totals for central PA via the CTP radar....

post-2758-0-95458500-1372401380_thumb.pn

and here's the totals for northeast PA extrapolations via the BGM radar.

post-2758-0-31195900-1372401354_thumb.pn

have a good night folks.

Oh boy do I have a treat for you guys. Was working in State College today and the severe thunderstorm that went through the southern part of town delivered one helluva barrage of wind driven quarter size hail. This was pretty close to AccuWeather headquarters. 

Oh boy do I have a treat for you guys. Was working in State College today and the severe thunderstorm that went through the southern part of town delivered one helluva barrage of wind driven quarter size hail. This was pretty close to AccuWeather headquarters. 

I can't recall the State College area getting this much severe weather. Crazy year.

It's nice to get some sun today and dry off a bit. The models are promising more rain though. The 12Z GFS text forecast for LNS today has measurable precip in each 3 hour time period from 15Z Sunday until 9Z Thursday! Apparently the GFS isn't quite sure what to make of this pattern except that it will be wet!

It's nice to get some sun today and dry off a bit. The models are promising more rain though. The 12Z GFS text forecast for LNS today has measurable precip in each 3 hour time period from 15Z Sunday until 9Z Thursday! Apparently the GFS isn't quite sure what to make of this pattern except that it will be wet!

We got .39 yesterday, and State College had some heavy downpours. It's insane, this pattern. The NWS State College AFD is kind of ominous. Heavy downpours will cause all sorts of issues.

My son works for the railroad. He is currently up at Beech-creek trying to rebuild the tracks. He said the destruction is unreal. People he has talked to said they got 5" of rain in an hour. Anyone confirm that?

I think that's the case, yes.

Man more very slow moving heavy thunderstorms in that region from State College to Lock Haven this evening. Near stationary stuff residing very close to the Beech Creek area that got hit very hard the other day.

We had some very impressive rainfall rates with that storm. Heavier than what I saw on Thursday. At one point the storm drain across the street was spewing water 2-4 ft in the air.

Archived