Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - Onward Into Summer 2013

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they must be the only people who didn't see/hear the 8000 warnings, radio and TV broadcasts

As I said, they are nice but exactly the Einstein family.

Flood Watch canceled appropriately. Honestly thinking rain(outside of a few showers) is over for the day. Just checked PPL outage map most areas are back online.

Not storms but an area of steady rain is moving your way, although a lot of it is to your north. I think that actually may put the damper on any storms. 

Sun has been out an hour. Shouldn't that mean we'll get pretty violent t-storms later this afternoon as the front moves through? IE per predictions last night?

Seems like it would be to me, at least.

Would imagine. Be interesting to see. MD/VA/DE looks to be in some trouble. 

As I said, they are nice but exactly the Einstein family.

Not storms but an area of steady rain is moving your way, although a lot of it is to your north. I think that actually may put the damper on any storms. 

Would imagine. Be interesting to see. MD/VA/DE looks to be in some trouble. 

It's actually clearing a bit here now. Hell, the roads are dry ...

People are all saying "that storm wasn't bad" - I'm telling them to hold their horses.

BTW...we have neighbors who are nice enough but kind of seem like they about as sharp as a bowling ball. During our last severe t-storm back on 5/22, they left their west-facing windows open and from what they said, they had to clean up stuff blown off shelves, lots of rainwater, etc.

Guess what....they did it AGAIN. This am they were hauling stuff outside that was soaked and they said a bunch of stuff got broken. They also said they slept much of it and didn't wake up until it was too late. 

Not to make fun of them, but lol. 

This put a smile on my face. :) Not much more to add, if you can't say something nice ...

"Source: social media Remark: 59 mph wind gust at walker building on psu campus."

That sounds about right.  A period of several minutes of major gusts on top of very high sustained winds.  I was looking out the window (College Heights) when a big gust hit, and it took a large branch out on a maple that was too big for me to move.  This morning on Park Avenue a crew was directing traffic around an empty car with a blown out tire -- my guess is that someone didn't see a branch in the road during the deluge, ran over it, and did some significant damage.

I don't know how much it might have been hyped in the media, but it is definitely a storm I will remember.

Here we had lightning, thunder and a wind gust of 40 mph. A few areas had some hail. 

We did NOT have 100 mph winds. 

Thanks main street media for hyping and scaring the hell out of everyone for a normal June Severe outbreak.

Exactly man. Media around here was hyping the rain like nobodies business! An inch from a T'Storm in summer is not that unusual. Thank God though the 100mph derecho from hell never materialized.

"Source: social media Remark: 59 mph wind gust at walker building on psu campus."

That's impressive for State College. I remember only a couple of times when we had really bad squall lines and storms when I was up there. I remember once having quarter-sized hail briefly, but generally the storms formed on the ridges and didn't head into the valleys, or the subsidence due to downsloping from the Allegheny Front killed the activity off quick.

Here we had lightning, thunder and a wind gust of 40 mph. A few areas had some hail. 

We did NOT have 100 mph winds. 

Thanks main street media for hyping and scaring the hell out of everyone for a normal June Severe outbreak.

A large, rotten egg on the media's collective face... :lol:

There's a Post-Gazette article talking about how the storm was a simple June t-storm and people are trashing weather forecasters. Many in the media were hyping this, not the NWS. What the NWS was talking about happened. There were 32 storm reports in western PA yesterday, which is not a simple June storm. See: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=PA&prodtype=public#LSRPBZ

What's too bad is those media outlets that added to the hype are now attacking. It feeds the myth that weather forecasts are never right, and that in turn causes people to ignore warnings. 

There's a Post-Gazette article talking about how the storm was a simple June t-storm and people are trashing weather forecasters. Many in the media were hyping this, not the NWS. What the NWS was talking about happened. There were 32 storm reports in western PA yesterday, which is not a simple June storm. See: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=PA&prodtype=public#LSRPBZ

What's too bad is those media outlets that added to the hype are now attacking. It feeds the myth that weather forecasts are never right, and that in turn causes people to ignore warnings. 

Agree

Archived