• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Onward Into Summer 2013

Hello folks. Looks like weather action is about to pick up. We got severe storms possible Saturday and Sunday and then models showing tropical system being drawn into a trough next week could provide severe weather and heavy rain. Lets get this baby rolling. Hope everyone joins me over at our FB page. www.facebook.com/hwpcwx we are up to over 4,000 fans now :) 

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day3prob_0730.gif

To be in the 30% area at day 3 is impressive... though it always feels like when we are given a high % chance it winds up a bust...

Seems like the kind of setup that is most impressive for the Lower Susquehanna Valley...SPC says: 

..NORTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC STATES AND NEW ENGLAND...

A MID/HIGH LEVEL SPEED MAX IS EXPECTED TO SHIFT NORTHEASTWARD OVER

THE NORTHEAST STATES/NEW ENGLAND ON THE PERIPHERY OF AN UPPER TROUGH

PIVOTING OVER ONTARIO/QUEBEC AND THE GREAT LAKES REGION. WHILE

SHOWERS/SOME TSTMS MAY ACCOMPANY THE COLD FRONT EARLY

SUNDAY...POCKETS OF STRONGER DESTABILIZATION ARE PROBABLE AHEAD OF

THE FRONT...ALTHOUGH WEAK MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES MAY TEMPER THE

OVERALL DEGREE OF DESTABILIZATION. EVEN SO...MLCAPE ON THE ORDER OF

1000 J/KG OR GREATER WILL BE SUFFICIENT FOR STRONG/SEVERE TSTM

DEVELOPMENT AND INTENSIFICATION INTO THE AFTERNOON.

AS STORMS MATURE...STRONG DEEP LAYER SOUTHWESTERLY

WINDS...ACCENTUATED BY AS MUCH AS 35-50 KT BETWEEN 2-6 KM...WILL

SUPPORT THE DEVELOPMENT OF ORGANIZED/SUSTAINED CLUSTERS OF STORMS

INCLUDING BOWS. DAMAGING WINDS WILL BE THE PRIMARY HAZARD...ALTHOUGH

SOME SEVERE HAIL/PERHAPS A TORNADO THREAT MAY EXIST AS WELL.

This morning we had a 100% chance of severe storms. It won't even rain now apparently. Why the major bust?

Did you notice that SPC shifted the slight risk to the east at 1630Z?

We ended up with some decent rain from a discrete that popped up, and some brief gusts, but not much more.

BTW, KCCX has been down since about 1830 last night due to hardware failure. It's expected to be back up sometime today.

Same here canderson, we had a 90 percent chance of storms and it was sunny out most of the day. No way to explain it other than a failed forecast.

This morning we had a 100% chance of severe storms. It won't even rain now apparently. Why the major bust?

We really need the rain. Looks good for later this week, though. 

Did you notice that SPC shifted the slight risk to the east at 1630Z?

We ended up with some decent rain from a discrete that popped up, and some brief gusts, but not much more.

BTW, KCCX has been down since about 1830 last night due to hardware failure. It's expected to be back up sometime today.

Looks like there's a bit more of a significant issue with the radar by the sounds of the AFD:

.EQUIPMENT...

THE STATE COLLEGE PA WSR-88D (KCCX) WILL REMAIN IN STANDBY MODE

UNTIL WEDNESDAY; NIGHT OR THURSDAY...BUT CAN BE BROUGHT ONLINE IF

NEEDED. FORTUNATELY... ACT IVE WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED TO RETURN TO

CENTRAL PA UNTIL WEDNESDAY NIGHT OR THU RSDAY. A DAMAGED PART IN

THE PEDESTAL ASSEMBLY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS OUTAGE...AND MUST BE

REPLACED FOR ROUTINE OPERATIONS TO RESUME. A BEST CASE SCENARIO AT

THIS TIME IS FOR THE PART TO ARRIVE ON WEDNESDAY AND BE INSTALLED BY

WEDNESDAY N IGHT. IF ACTIVE WEATHER DEVELOPS BEFORE WEDNESDAY

NIGHT...WFO STATE COLLEGE METE OROLOGISTS ARE ABLE TO BRING WSR-88D

KCCX ONLINE AT A MOMENT/S NOTICE TO INTERROGATE STORMS. HOWEVER...

SINCE A PEDESTAL FAILURE WILL INEVITABLY RECUR IN THIS SC ENARIO

(UNTIL THE PART IS REPLACED)...THE RADAR WILL REMAIN IN STANDBY MODE

AND ONLY USED AS NEEDED.

El Reno, OK tornado from Friday has been upgraded to an EF5 with max width at 2.6 miles and apparently there is data that recorded 296mph winds!  2.6 miles makes it the widest documented tornado in US history!  Some even saying it went from 1 mile width to the 2.6 miles in 30 seconds... no wonder so many chasers got in trouble

El Reno, OK tornado from Friday has been upgraded to an EF5 with max width at 2.6 miles and apparently there is data that recorded 296mph winds!  2.6 miles makes it the widest documented tornado in US history!  Some even saying it went from 1 mile width to the 2.6 miles in 30 seconds... no wonder so many chasers got in trouble

Yeah, that's what I thought when I heard about it. 

CTP must have the Yugo of weather radars. It's constantly breaking down. 

I really havn't paid much attention to outside of the area, but I wonder if anywhere else has been having trouble with parts continuously breaking since upgrading to Dual-Pol like CTP has

This is the funniest thing I've read all week.

Heh, thanks. 

I really havn't paid much attention to outside of the area, but I wonder if anywhere else has been having trouble with parts continuously breaking since upgrading to Dual-Pol like CTP has

No idea. It seems to happen so much. Not blaming them of course. It must stink. 

If this was snow there would be mass suicides. Quite a bust so far here in UNV. 

Yea this is definitely favoring the Sus Valley in the early going with widespread moderate rain there. Given the projected track of T.S Andrea up the coast, the southeastern counties look to be the big winners in the rain dept. There's also the second area of heavier rain and thunderstorms developing west/southwest of the area associated with a bit of a secondary max of PWATs and some half decent CAPEs as especially WV has broken out of some of the cloud cover. I'd look for that stuff to eventually be what makes it rain in our parts as Andrea rides up the coast and interacts further with the frontal boundary. We're just sitting in between the action so far in the meantime. 

Yea this is definitely favoring the Sus Valley in the early going with widespread moderate rain there. Given the projected track of T.S Andrea up the coast, the southeastern counties look to be the big winners in the rain dept. There's also the second area of heavier rain and thunderstorms developing west/southwest of the area associated with a bit of a secondary max of PWATs and some half decent CAPEs as especially WV has broken out of some of the cloud cover. I'd look for that stuff to eventually be what makes it rain in our parts as Andrea rides up the coast and interacts further with the frontal boundary. We're just sitting in between the action so far in the meantime. 

Bust cancel - that second area got us up to 1.13" of much needed rain. 

PSUHazletonWx too.

:lol:

Got 1.22" in Tamaqua. Not a bust by any stretch, and it was some much needed rain, but nowhere near what the SE areas got. Per the Philly thread, a lot of locations were in the 3-4 inch range, with a few reporting over 4 inches.

Archived