Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Onward Into Summer 2013

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS and EURO confirm... ugliness on the way. I think SE PA gets railed. Under day 2 moderate already. 

As you said...Day 2 Moderate Risk out for the Mid-Atlantic..Slight Risk has been pushed farther north to include many people in this forum. Definitely a "Keep you eyes to the sky kind of day"

post-5336-0-07101500-1371034971_thumb.pn

As you said...Day 2 Moderate Risk out for the Mid-Atlantic..Slight Risk has been pushed farther north to include many people in this forum. Definitely a "Keep you eyes to the sky kind of day"

I think the MDT will expand a bit more NW. Meanwhile tonight PA might get railed as well. 

AllWeather, congratulations dude!!! Awesome news.

In less-than-awesome news, media here are hyping the dericho like we're all going to die.

Good Morning America was way over the top, Sam Champion repeating derecho and a graphic with the text "60 million people facing damaging winds"

Good Morning America was way over the top, Sam Champion repeating derecho and a graphic with the text "60 million people facing damaging winds"

I didn't see it, but my co-workers were asking me as they came in if i had heard anythng.

Just saw this on Pennlive: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/06/whats_a_derecho_and_why_is_it.html#incart_m-rpt-1

I am really sick of the hyping of weather events done by the ratings-starved media. Yesterday a story was going around on facebook from a media source saying that Pittsburgh could see 100 mph winds today. I had people tell me that businesses were discussing letting people go home from work early today. I saw TWC this morning using terms "Dangerous and Fierce Severe Storms." Aren't severe storms always dangerous for somebody? I saw "Dangerous Winds" and "Dangerous Heat". In the 1970 and 80's when the temperature got to 90 the terms were "Hazy Hot and Humid". "Drink lots of water and stay in the air conditioning". Now 90 degree weather is "dangerous", "life threatening etc" 

This is not a hurricane and this is not Oklahoma City. Now it looks like western Pa. will see possible severe weather weather after 8:00 tonight and no different from any other severe weather event. Social media is making it worse because facebook users and twitter users are now making reports and treated the same as skywarn spotters and they have no weather experience.

It looks like the "Weenies" have taken over and the hype will continue.

Sorry but I needed to vent.

I am really sick of the hyping of weather events done by the ratings-starved media. Yesterday a story was going around on facebook from a media source saying that Pittsburgh could see 100 mph winds today. I had people tell me that businesses were discussing letting people go home from work early today. I saw TWC this morning using terms "Dangerous and Fierce Severe Storms." Aren't severe storms always dangerous for somebody? I saw "Dangerous Winds" and "Dangerous Heat". In the 1970 and 80's when the temperature got to 90 the terms were "Hazy Hot and Humid". "Drink lots of water and stay in the air conditioning". Now 90 degree weather is "dangerous", "life threatening etc" 

This is not a hurricane and this is not Oklahoma City. Now it looks like western Pa. will see possible severe weather weather after 8:00 tonight and no different from any other severe weather event. Social media is making it worse because facebook users and twitter users are now making reports and treated the same as skywarn spotters and they have no weather experience.

This times a million we have become a nation of frightened children every time the sky clouds up.

+1

Try this link instead:

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=PAZ066&warncounty=PAC071&firewxzone=PAZ066&local_place1=&product1=Flood+Watch#.UbimG9Uh2BU

FLOOD WATCHNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA1241 PM EDT WED JUN 12 2013...FLOODING POSSIBLE OVER THE REGION LATER TONIGHT ANDTHURSDAY....A VERY STRONG STORM SYSTEM FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR WILL MOVE THROUGHTHE REGION THURSDAY...BRINGING SEVERAL ROUNDS OF HEAVY SHOWERS ANDTHUNDERSTORMS. THIS WILL CREATE THE POTENTIAL FOR LOCALIZEDFLOODING STARTING LATER TONIGHT AND LASTING INTO THE DAY THURSDAY.PAZ004>006-010>012-017>019-024>028-033>037-041-042-045-046-049>053-056>059-063>066-131645-/O.NEW.KCTP.FA.A.0005.130613T0600Z-130614T0000Z//00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/WARREN-MCKEAN-POTTER-ELK-CAMERON-NORTHERN CLINTON-CLEARFIELD-NORTHERN CENTRE-SOUTHERN CENTRE-CAMBRIA-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-MIFFLIN-JUNIATA-SOMERSET-BEDFORD-FULTON-FRANKLIN-TIOGA-NORTHERN LYCOMING-SULLIVAN-SOUTHERN CLINTON-SOUTHERN LYCOMING-UNION-SNYDER-MONTOUR-NORTHUMBERLAND-COLUMBIA-PERRY-DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER-1241 PM EDT WED JUN 12 2013...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAYEVENING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A* FLOOD WATCH FOR A PORTION OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...INCLUDING  THE FOLLOWING AREAS...ADAMS...BEDFORD...BLAIR...CAMBRIA...  CAMERON...CLEARFIELD...COLUMBIA...CUMBERLAND...DAUPHIN...ELK...   FRANKLIN...FULTON...HUNTINGDON...JUNIATA...LANCASTER...  LEBANON...MCKEAN...MIFFLIN...MONTOUR...NORTHERN CENTRE...  NORTHERN CLINTON...NORTHERN LYCOMING...NORTHUMBERLAND...  PERRY...POTTER...SCHUYLKILL...SNYDER...SOMERSET...SOUTHERN  CENTRE...SOUTHERN CLINTON...SOUTHERN LYCOMING...SULLIVAN...  TIOGA...UNION...WARREN AND YORK.* FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING.* SEVERAL ROUNDS OF HEAVY SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL BRING THE  POTENTIAL FOR LOCALIZED FLOODING...ESPECIALLY IN NORMAL AREAS  PRONE TO FLOODING SUCH AS LOW LYING LOCATIONS AND ALONG STREAMS  AND CREEKS.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A FLOOD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING ON SMALLSTREAMS...CREEKS...POOR DRAINAGE...URBAN AND LOW-LYING AREASBASED ON CURRENT FORECASTS.YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE ALERT FOR POSSIBLEFLOOD WARNINGS. THOSE LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING SHOULD BEPREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLOODING DEVELOP.&&$$LA CORTE

Lol...it will rain heavy tomorrow and there will be some T-storm warnings. Unbelievable hype for this event lol a lot can go wrong.

I think it's fairly safe to say that those north of the turnpike will see primarily rain. Points south, specifically closer to the mason-dixon have a far greater chance of severe wx.

Luckily 12z caved from it's frightening solution, to what will probably be a slight risk at the next update. All models staying progressive with no real deepening to speak of.

Euro still has decent rain hit for much of PA... if models under predict strength of system there will still be a good threat

Archived