amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Central PA - Onward Into Summer 2013

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate summer. Hot wx can F off.

I can relate, I don't care for the three H's. I find that I simply don't go outside during the worst of it.

On a related note this years Spring wx has been most enjoyable IMHO. Even though April-June will log a slight positive temp departure for my area, the high temps will have negative departures in each month. Cloud cover?

FWIW according to the Millersville University weather pages it has been 10 years (2003) since this area has had a Spring with negative departures.

Be wary of any 100+ hour event on numerical modeling.

I think the most safe thing to say about 100+ hours is it looks good we turn rather wet and leave it at that.

I hate summer. Hot wx can F off.

I can relate, I don't care for the three H's. I find that I simply don't go outside during the worst of it.

On a related note this years Spring wx has been most enjoyable IMHO. Even though April-June will log a slight positive temp departure for my area, the high temps will have negative departures in each month. Cloud cover?

FWIW according to the Millersville University weather pages it has been 10 years (2003) since this area has had a Spring with negative departures.

One thing I was thinking about this am while in the garden slaughtering an entire ridgeline of trees (baby maples, pulling them out) was how gardening has changed how I follow weather. One way is I used to hate hot weather but my preferred summer is warmer than normal with slightly above rain, lol.

Other changes:

- In dry periods, I follow garden variety showers/tstorms on radar with 100 times the intensity wmsptwx spends trying to find reasons a snowstorm will bust. Honestly, it's almost sad. Hitting refresh to get the latest frame. As in, probably me tomorrow.

- I pull for cold spring until early-mid April, then I want it mild.

- The later the first frost, the better.

Just pulled our first beet crop.  Things are really looking good in the garden thanks to the cool, wet spring.  Our peppers are lagging though so I'm ready for a touch of warmer and more humid weather this week to speed them along.

Dwight, is that you?

ROFL check this out. This your place eskimo?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52842-d730099-Reviews-Schrute_Farms-Honesdale_Pocono_Mountains_Region_Pennsylvania.html

LOL @ this review:

If your passions include root vegetables and German music played on the recorder, you will love this place.

My fiancé and I truly enjoyed the morning test-of-strength, even though we couldn’t complete the lunges across the plowed earth with a sack of firewood tied to our waist.

As it turns out, its owners and guests consume every part of each animal slaughtered at Schrute Farms. Try the “ungulate jerky”, they have a special recipe. As a welcome gift, we received five pounds of bones for a midnight marrow snack in case we became hungry.

We also enjoyed the free portraits of us both holding each other, gazing across the newly planted beet field. As the owner said, nothing says love like two people staring in the same direction.

Room Tip: Get the irrigation room.

When Michael and Pam first go to the beet farm and Dwight's crazy brother is running along side the car like a dog, that was one of the funniest scenes in TV ever.

Looks like we go from famine to feast as far as rain goes this week next. Classic early summer firehose pattern. 

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN LANCASTER COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA...

* UNTIL 430 PM EDT

* AT 335 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS. THESE SEVERE STORMS EXTENDED FROM

ADAMSTOWN TO NEW HOLLAND TO EAST PETERSBURG...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT

30 MPH. THESE STORMS ARE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING ONE INCH DIAMETER

HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDED IN THE WARNING...

AKRON...EPHRATA...LEOLA...LITITZ...CHURCHTOWN...DENVER...GAP...

PARADISE...REAMSTOWN...ROTHSVILLE...STRASBURG AND TERRE HILL.

OTHER NOTABLE LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING... DUTCH WONDERLAND.

THIS WILL IMPACT THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 278

AND 295.

THIS WILL ALSO IMPACT THE FOLLOWING MAJOR ROADS...ROUTE 30...ROUTE

222...ROUTE 322...STATE ROAD 41...STATE ROAD 501.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE DAMAGE. MOVE INSIDE A PERMANENT BUILDING

NOW TO BE SAFE FROM STRONG WIND GUSTS AND LARGE HAIL.

PLEASE REPORT HAIL...STRONG WINDS OR WIND DAMAGE TO THE NATIONAL

WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE THROUGH TWITTER OR FACEBOOK.

think it'll hold it's intensity over the apps?

I was shocked it held together going over the Weather Ginzu Knife aka the Allegheny Front then intensified moving over State College. That almost never happens with a line.

Anyone have damage reports? Looks like Selinsgrove, Middleburg, and other areas under the gun?

Good link to book mark: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=PA&prodtype=public

There are some. Generally later they put out a full report, probably once this line clears Lancaster. They also put snow totals, etc.

We got 1.24 of rain as of 8:40.

Archived