Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA - Onward Into Summer 2013

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harrisburg about to be rocked, interesting pinwheel around State College...Dumping rain here right now. Also, what is the deal with the stuff sliding southeastward up in Michigan?

Wow, isn't that **** crazy? It reminds me of the Landcane in 2004 that took out the Kinzua Bridge. 

Harrisburg about to be rocked, interesting pinwheel around State College...Dumping rain here right now. Also, what is the deal with the stuff sliding southeastward up in Michigan?

That thing over State College is fascinating, a very broad rotation couplet moving slowly over Pine Grove Mills just south of town. It looks like a mini hurricane. I didn't see much over east of Boalsburg on velocity but my GR2 analyst loop might be beyond when it happened depending on the time he saw it. Def couldn't rule out a quick spinup happening with that wild feature 

Jim are you concerned about State College that little band has set up shop with heavy rain right on top of them. The rest looks to be moving pretty good but definite flooding concerns for just about everyone reading this thread.

I would bet there are at least the usual urban flooding issues downtown with the intense rain overhead. Intense rain is also stretching up to Bellefonte and trying to nose toward Lock Haven as well. 

Jim are you concerned about State College that little band has set up shop with heavy rain right on top of them. The rest looks to be moving pretty good but definite flooding concerns for just about everyone reading this thread.

yep, i have more than a few friends still there, and i'm pretty sure already the west end of the state college area near gill st is under water. but yea, that's why i was asking about pine grove mills. because if it's not tornadic, they have over 3" of rain in an hour falling with that mini-meso vortex moving through. the way the area drains, if i remember correctly, college ave underneath university ave would be flooded out, college ave near allen would be in trouble, college and beaver aves near atherton would be flooded out, the southwest end near the HS would have to be evacuated, and i wouldn't want to be on the other side of the hill from the old Hills Plaza on Atherton.

East of Bellefonte might have had a quick spinup a short time ago per the velocity loop (2051z frame shown). This band curling into the MCV low is very reminiscent of a tropical systems feeder band. The couplet quickly weakened in the next frames as it moved west over Bellefonte. 

post-1507-0-78922300-1372368052_thumb.pn

btw, as a side note, as I understand from my mom, the Six-County Fireman's Convention is going on now through sunday down in St Clair in Schuykill County (it's a usual get-together for the local fire departments in northeast PA, of which the local FD where I grew up, Honey Pot Engine 6, is a member). And right now they have a severe thunderstorm warning with t-storms moving in from the SE.

The way the loop is looking on the CCX radar, it looks like the line from the east is zipper-merging into the one right now near rt 15. looks like between 11 and 15 are going to be majorly CF'd for flooding, worse than State College or Dubois.

confirmed...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDTORNADO WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA613 PM EDT THU JUN 27 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  WEST CENTRAL LYCOMING COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA...  CENTRAL CLINTON COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA...* UNTIL 645 PM EDT* AT 609 PM EDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A TORNADO. THE STORM  CONTAINING THE WAS NEAR MILL HALL...MOVING NORTH AT 15 MPH.* LOCATIONS INCLUDED IN THE WARNING...  LOCK HAVEN...CAMMAL...DUNNSTOWN...GLEN UNION...HYNER...LITTLE PINE  STATE PARK...MCELHATTAN...MILL HALL AND WATERVILLE.OTHER NOTABLE LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING... LOCK HAVEN UNIVERSITY.THIS WILL IMPACT I-80 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 175 AND 179.THIS WILL ALSO IMPACT THE FOLLOWING MAJOR ROADS...ROUTE 220...STATEROAD 120.

Archived