joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant severe weather threats 4/8-10

OKpowdah

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
   MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0400   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0236 PM CDT MON APR 08 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...ERN CO INTO WRN KS AND SWRN NEB      CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE       VALID 081936Z - 082200Z      PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...60 PERCENT      SUMMARY...AT LEAST ISOLATED SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO   FORM OVER FAR ERN CO ...AND MAY MATURE AND MOVE INTO WRN KS AND SWRN   NEB.      DISCUSSION...PRESSURE FALLS CONTINUE AT AROUND 1.0 - 1.2 MB/HR   ACROSS ERN CO AS TEMPERATURES CONTINUE TO RISE AND LOW LEVEL   MOISTURE ATTEMPTS TO RETURN NWWD. THE SURFACE THETA-E AXIS WAS   LOCATED FROM WRN OK INTO SERN CO JUST S OF A RELATIVELY COOL   STRATUS-INDUCED COLD POCKET FROM GCK TO DDC. GRADUAL HEATING SHOULD   CONTINUE ACROSS THE REGION...AND DESPITE LOWER DEWPOINTS IN THE 30S   AND 40S OVER ERN CO...INSTABILITY WILL STILL BE PRESENT.      VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWS AREAS OF CU BENEATH BROKEN CIRRUS NEAR LHX AND   EXTENDING NWD TOWARD AKO. ALTHOUGH CONVERGENCE IS WEAK...A FEW   UPDRAFTS SHOULD GROW INTO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF LARGE   HAIL. WHEN THIS OCCURS...THE BACKED SELY LOW LEVEL WINDS SHOULD    ALLOW CELLS TO TURN EWD AND MOVE ACROSS THE KS BORDER. HODOGRAPHS   WILL BE QUITE FAVORABLE FOR SUPERCELLS...WITH MAXIMUM HAIL SIZE   ESSENTIALLY LIMITED BY AVAILABLE MOISTURE. IF STORMS CAN PERSIST   INTO THE 50 F DEWPOINT AIR...VERY LARGE HAIL WOULD BE LIKELY. A   MARGINAL TORNADO THREAT COULD ALSO MATERIALIZE BUT ONLY IF CELLS CAN   MAINTAIN STRENGTH INTO THE LOWER LCL ENVIRONMENT BEFORE CAPPING   DESTROYS THEM.

The nuclear cap rears it's ugly head.  The only way for this cap to be broken is if temperatures were in the 100s and dewpoints in the 80s. :arrowhead:

Or with stronger forcing for ascent, remember that the upper trough is still primarily well west of the warm sector.

Hodographs on the RAP for 00z continue to be fairly long and open.  If the NSSL/HRRR are correct with an isolated mature cell or two, they could be quite significant with very large hail.  Soundings verbatim look to have a LCLs a bit to high for my tastes for a big tornado threat ... despite hodographs.

SPC just issued a severe t-storm watch for NW CO. Weird seeing it right up against WSW's in WY.

Interestingly, the watch disco seems more upbeat about a tor threat after 23z in W KS than the meso disco above

DISCUSSION...HIGH-BASED THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT IS EXPECTED IN THE   NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS AS SURFACE HEATING/MIXING CONTINUES ACROSS ERN   CO IN A STEEP LAPSE RATE ENVIRONMENT.  VERTICAL SHEAR PROFILES WILL   BE FAVORABLE FOR SUPERCELLS...WITH LARGE HAIL THE PRIMARY THREAT   GIVEN THE LIMITED LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE AS OF EARLY AFTERNOON.  AREAS   FARTHER E INTO W/NW KS WILL BE MONITORED FOR MORE OF A MOISTURE   INCREASE THIS AFTERNOON/EVENING...AND SOME THREAT FOR A COUPLE OF   TORNADOES AS THE ERN CO STORMS MATURE AND MOVE INTO KS CLOSER TO 23Z   OR SO. 

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0085.html

I am going to be in the Ardmore, OK area tomorrow. Being from the Philly area it would be nice to spot my first ever tornado. How is that area looking tomorrow?

Right now SPC has a 30% hatched for the area, which means a 10% probability of significant svr within 25 miles of a point.  Capping is always a concern but you just might be in a favorable area for some action. The problem of course is how long cells can stay discrete before forcing produces a line.

I am going to be in the Ardmore, OK area tomorrow. Being from the Philly area it would be nice to spot my first ever tornado. How is that area looking tomorrow?

Is this your first chase?

I would recommend a good old fashioned map.  I would also recommend downloading a map program to your laptop that will allow more detail than an old fashioned fold out map.  

You can rely on phone a little but that can get you into trouble. There will be a lot of chasers out tomorrow and a lot of data demands on cell networks this can result in iffy data coverage and as a result GPS capability may be limited.  Get into place well in advance of estimated convection and scour the road networks, take a few notes, etc.  So that way when you have to move, if you have to move...and if you do it'll likely be quickly you'll have some ideas on where to go, where roads are etc.  Avoid dirt roads, that western OK dirt turns into a big time mud pit pretty easily and you'll slide off the road if unless you have a vehicle equipped for offroading.  

If you see a tornado do NOT lose focus on your surroundings.  Additional spinups happen and you do not want to get caught off guard.  Keep your head on a swivel. 

Not too impressed with tomorrow either from a tornado standpoint. Much lower CIN, upper storm relative winds roughly parallel to the dry line and low level storm relative winds more perpendicular to the dry line, will likely lead to upscale growth and enhanced gust front lifting. There could be a few tornadoes .. especially early, but IMO this will likely not be a significant event.

post-2030-0-47691200-1365464376_thumb.jp

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GOODLAND KS

623 PM MDT MON APR 8 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GOODLAND HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHEASTERN YUMA COUNTY IN NORTHEAST COLORADO...

* UNTIL 645 PM MDT

* AT 619 PM MDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR BONNY

RESERVOIR...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 15 MPH.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.

SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED TORNADO.

IMPACT...MOBILE HOMES WILL BE HEAVILY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL

OCCUR. FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DEADLY TO PEOPLE AND ANIMALS.

EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

HALE.

THIS INCLUDES HIGHWAY 36 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 217 AND 221.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TO REPEAT...A TORNADO IS ON THE GROUND. TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN

INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING. AVOID

WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...A VEHICLE OR OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE

CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

TO REPORT SEVERE WEATHER CONTACT YOUR NEAREST LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.

THEY WILL SEND YOUR REPORT TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN

GOODLAND.

Not really on a chase per say. I am in Ardmore for work :). Thought I might be in a good spot, but chasing wont be possible. Where I am from large lines are the norm but since these will be cellular in nature I have to be lucky. I have Radarscope on iPhone so I will be on the lookout and if anything crops up nearby perhaps I'll get lucky. Thanks!

This is interesting - especially since the SPC was so explicit that a cell needed to make it to KS to likely become tornadic today.

Three active TOR warnings on the Front Range in CO.

looks like they are running right along the front.

Archived