• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant severe weather threats 4/8-10

OKpowdah

I'd have kept the 10% for south-central OK only. Surging CF may cut off OKC, which is good for the general population. Chasing interests can set up shop south of town. If I lived in OKC, DFW, SPS or in between I'd certainly plan a chase this afternoon.

The only problem is see is a veer-back-veer issue around 700 mb - which can prevent. In contrast to SPC I think there IS enough shear in south-central OK, both directional shear and speed shear to keep storms off the CF. Appears 850 mb will have enough moisture to prevent a surface dewpoint crash. Not crazy windy to mix down 700 dry, I don’t think. Finally NAM still forecasts a pre-frontal trough or quasi DL ahead of the CF in southern OK. It's close, and maybe 5% is right, but that’s just semantics. If you live close this is a chase day. It's not high probability, but it's a "go" in my book.

Good luck and be safe.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well that didn't last long. 10% areas seem to get dropped fairly often as of late. Wonder what the change of thinking was.

Given the surging front, the displaced LLJ, and the strong capping the warm sector ahead of the front, I think the 5% is valid. This setup doesn't look very good for tornadoes IMO.

I agree

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I wonder if it is worth traveling too, now. I'm in the dfw area and deciding whether to make the drive to Wichita Falls or not, any suggestions?

I'd still go. You already came this far. At the very least you're still gonna probably see beautiful supercells...and a 5 tor isn't bad. Besides...how many times in the past have we seen them up it at the last minute. Quite frankly...I was surprised to see the 10 tor at 6z...as I would have figured they'd have waited on that to the 1630Z...so they could gauge mesoanalysis. Mark (friend/co-worker from work) and I are heading up in 20 mins. Just gonna check with the forecast office to make sure they won't need us...but seeing it won't hit my CWA until after 10pm...am sure we're good.

12Z NAM/WRF has triple point in North Texas now. That's a quick run up 287 from DFW. Looks like post-frontal stuff in OK. Well, if you are in someone else's car, hail core punch? Kiding! Back to Texas tornado chance, looks like just 5% works. However if you live in DFW and can get the afternoon off why not go? I would.

CF is racing SE at a good clip. Not too confident that we have much time to pop discrete cells before going linear

00z ECMWF was not favorable at all for much in the way of discrete DMC ahead of the cf. Seems 12z american guidance heading that way. Compared to 00z runs, NAM has shunted the dryline bulge ahead of the front well down into N Texas now which matches well with the current progression of that arctic front. Pretty common bias for the models once these arctic fronts surge through the high plains of CO...they tend to accelerate and move faster than models depict. Hodos are much less impressive farther S.

The SPC has a slight risk and also 45% for the MIssissippi Valley tomorrow. Is this some mistake? Their text discussion clearly says "slight risk."

It becomes moderate once it's 45% hatched. They say in the outlook the situation doesn't warrant a moderate risk at this time.

Archived