joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2013 Pattern and Discussion

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need it to warm up, I need some severe storms and this pattern aint gonna do it for me. Then there is this little thing I like to do called fishing and well I need water temps up another 15 degrees so the bass will turn on. Looks kinda promising though looks more seasonal with dips into cooler weather rather than cold with brief warmups...today is fantastic.....

April showers bring may flowers or thats what i hear anyway.

Life is not a highway strewn with flowers,

Still it holds a goodly share of bliss,

When the sun gives way to April showers,

Here is the point you should never miss.

Though April showers may come your way,

They bring the flowers that bloom in May.

So if it's raining, have no regrets,

Because it isn't raining rain, you know, (It's raining violets,)

And where you see clouds upon the hills,

You soon will see crowds of daffodils,

So keep on looking for a blue bird, And list'ning for his song,

Whenever April showers come along.

Just looking at the 06z....... that would be the ideal winter storm track if this were January...... Even this late in the season, I would not be surprised to hear about some mixed precip reports under that deform band even outside the mtns. At the very least, it appears to be a cold rain with temps in the 30's in the cad areas.

Both the 12z GFS and Euro painting a very wet picture for Thursday and Friday...both have energy in the southern stream and a Miller-A coming from the Gulf and running just inland up the Southeast Costal Plain...going to be a lot of overrunning moisture north and west of the track.

Both the 12z GFS and Euro painting a very wet picture for Thursday and Friday...both have energy in the southern stream and a Miller-A coming from the Gulf and running just inland up the Southeast Costal Plain...going to be a lot of overrunning moisture north and west of the track.

Go figure.  Now we get a nice miller A storm running just inland.  The story of this winter, TERRIBLE.

Go figure. Now we get a nice miller A storm running just inland. The story of this winter, TERRIBLE.

Well it doesnt matter what time of the year it is and what the temps are because precip rates will be heavy enough to allow precip to fall in the form of a heavy wet snow. Dont be surprised to hear thundersnow as this b**ch will be dynamic as hell. Im expecting a widespread 4-6 inches across NC with 8+ in the higher elevations. Widespread 2-4 across N GA and SC. Everyone else will be a cold rain with an isolated flurry or two.

Well it doesnt matter what time of the year it is and what the temps are because precip rates will be heavy enough to allow precip to fall in the form of a heavy wet snow. Dont be surprised to hear thundersnow as this b**ch will be dynamic as hell. Im expecting a widespread 4-6 inches across NC with 8+ in the higher elevations. Widespread 2-4 across N GA and SC. Everyone else will be a cold rain with an isolated flurry or two.

Okay, that was pretty damn good. :lol:

In all seriousness, Mt. Mitchell and the very high peaks could be in for some fun, though.  Everyone else gets heavy rain in the 30s/40s.  :axe:

EDIT: Well, the GFS has trended towards an inland track (in line with the other modeling), so perhaps this will be nothing even there.

Needless to say, 18z GFS very juicy with our Thursday/Friday system...be interested to see if that was just a random model run or a trend. I know Robert was hinting on his site yesterday at a slow-moving and moisture loaded event.

18zgfsday1-5120.gif

That run significantly reduced rainfall totals down here from previous runs.

Edit: 0z doesnt even give us an inch of rain down here.

That run significantly reduced rainfall totals down here from previous runs.

Edit: 0z doesnt even give us an inch of rain down here.

The GFS is doing its usual northward shift with the SFC low track...0z run that just came out again runs the system from just east of Mobile across to near Macon GA and then over to near Florence SC.

A ton of moisture and dynamics (700mb OMEGA, VV's) running from Central Alabama to Atlanta and then northeast into the Southern Appalachians.

Wouldn't shock me if we have more shifts in the track but I think we might be starting to develop a trend of making this a high rainfall producer for those under the dynamics...2nd run in a row that send 3-plus inch rainfall into the Interior Southeast.

. Verbatim!

Its always the high elevations.  sure wish the low elevations could cash in on a few inches.  its amazing what just a little higher elevation will do with snow.  my mom in Weaverville last week had 3 inches of snow and in West Asheville we had a dusting and I can drive to her house in 18 minutes.  Amazing.

Probably squeeze out a few inches in the high country.

GFS_3_2013040118_F84_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

Its always the high elevations.  Its amazing what a few hundred feet in elevation can do.  My mom lives in Weaverville just 18 minutes from me and just last week she'll get 3 inches of snow and I'll get a dusting.  I'm at about 2250 feet in elevation but I guess its the snow shadow I'm in, from what I'm hearing anyway.

Its always the high elevations.  sure wish the low elevations could cash in on a few inches.  its amazing what just a little higher elevation will do with snow.  my mom in Weaverville last week had 3 inches of snow and in West Asheville we had a dusting and I can drive to her house in 18 minutes.  Amazing.

Its always the high elevations.  Its amazing what a few hundred feet in elevation can do.  My mom lives in Weaverville just 18 minutes from me and just last week she'll get 3 inches of snow and I'll get a dusting.  I'm at about 2250 feet in elevation but I guess its the snow shadow I'm in, from what I'm hearing anyway.

its amazing.

It's amazing

All signs still pointing to a major soaker for the good portion of the Southeast US starting late tomorrow night and lasting through Friday morning, today's GFS runs have trended back toward a SFC track up the coastline. That with a briefly closed off 850 and 500mb feature running across the Southeast screams a heavy soaking rainfall for Alabama, Georgia and the Carolinas.

After that, the pattern change begins...major warmth coming all the way up the east coast...

Don't care a whit bit about heat, or even warmth, but rain I need.  I believe if it rained every day, all year, I still wouldn't rest easy.  Kind of like folks who lived through the depression..hoarding stuff...I'm into hoarding rain...too much is barely sufficient!!  Unlike Waycross, the drought is still real up here, and I hope to never see another.  Can't get enough rain, and an added feature is the cooling.  A cold, wet spring's the thing!!!  So leave by the scary squall lines that only produce damage, and never much rain...bring on the Miller As, one after the other, all the way though next winter :)  T

Don't care a whit bit about heat, or even warmth, but rain I need.  I believe if it rained every day, all year, I still wouldn't rest easy.  Kind of like folks who lived through the depression..hoarding stuff...I'm into hoarding rain...too much is barely sufficient!!  Unlike Waycross, the drought is still real up here, and I hope to never see another.  Can't get enough rain, and an added feature is the cooling.  A cold, wet spring's the thing!!!  So leave by the scary squall lines that only produce damage, and never much rain...bring on the Miller As, one after the other, all the way though next winter :)  T

We haven't had it in several years but I'm hoping we can get a cutoff to develop over Northern Florida or the Deep South and slowly retrograde for several days pumping up a lot of tropical moisture. These type of events usually occur early to middle part of May when we get our first true surge of humidity into the southeast.

f72.gifFor everyone who lives in the mtns this is a perfect winter storm track, too bad it's April and not early March or Feb. The closed 500mb track along with the 700mb low are perfect. But like I said, it's just too bad it's April and instead of 33 and snow it's 43 and rain.

We haven't had it in several years but I'm hoping we can get a cutoff to develop over Northern Florida or the Deep South and slowly retrograde for several days pumping up a lot of tropical moisture. These type of events usually occur early to middle part of May when we get our first true surge of humidity into the southeast.

Yeah, boy, I'm with you there!  I love a  TD that wanders around splashing everybody it bumps into!  I might could ease up on my drought concerns if I could get 10 or 11 inches of rain over a few days :)  Here's hoping!!  Tony

f72.gifFor everyone who lives in the mtns this is a perfect winter storm track, too bad it's April and not early March or Feb. The closed 500mb track along with the 700mb low are perfect. But like I said, it's just too bad it's April and instead of 33 and snow it's 43 and rain.

if the air was a little colder and it will be close if it were to rain hard enough, we could see some snow if the rates are heavy enough since cold air will be close by but is it cold enough? 

if the air was a little colder and it will be close if it were to rain hard enough, we could see some snow if the rates are heavy enough since cold air will be close by but is it cold enough?

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a merry Christmas.

If my sister had a goober she would be my brother.

Archived