joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2013 Pattern and Discussion

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely looking forward to the nice chilly wedge Thursday! Should be a fun day of wx to follow though not a good walking day.

What is the expression? April wedges bring May hedges? Powerstroke should know the saying.

I just totaled up 6.1" of rain for March which puts me at 21.7" for the year.  I think I didn't cross the 20" mark until June last year.  The creek is flowing regularly behind my house for the first time in 5 years so things can change fast.

Definitely looking forward to the nice chilly wedge Thursday! Should be a fun day of wx to follow though not a good walking day.

What is the expression? April wedges bring May hedges? Powerstroke should know the saying.

Better ask rgrimes he is much older. I'm in Pigeon Forge this week so let whatever happen happen as there will be nothing in our area to treat.

There is a freeze watch up for northern counties in NC. For many this will probably be the last freezing temps we see until October. Jack Frost is leaving the stage...

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
802 AM EDT WED APR 3 2013

NCZ026>028-038>041-040015-
/O.EXP.KRAH.FR.Y.0001.000000T0000Z-130403T1200Z/
/O.CON.KRAH.FZ.A.0001.130404T0400Z-130404T1200Z/
FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-WAKE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LOUISBURG...NASHVILLE...ROCKY MOUNT...
LEXINGTON...ASHEBORO...PITTSBORO...RALEIGH
802 AM EDT WED APR 3 2013

...FREEZE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING...
...FROST ADVISORY WILL EXPIRE AT 8 AM EDT THIS MORNING...

* LOCATION...THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT AND NORTHERN AND CENTRAL
  COASTAL PLAIN OF NORTH CAROLINA.

* TEMPERATURES...OVERNIGHT LOWS ARE EXPECTED TO FALL INTO THE LOWER
  30S EARLY THURSDAY MORNING.

* TIMING...BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 8 AM THURSDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...SENSITIVE VEGETATION COULD BE DAMAGED BY A LIGHT
  FREEZE EARLY THURSDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WATCH MEANS FREEZING OR SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE
POSSIBLE. THOSE WITH SENSITIVE VEGETATION SHOULD TAKE APPROPRIATE
PROTECTIVE MEASURES.

&&

With the big wedge just one day away, I was wondering if anyone has heard this famous one?

"Our Friend the Wedge"

Wedges are fun because they block out the sun. 

Wedges never get old because they generate so much low level cold.

Wedges are never bad because they are associated with our good friend CAD.

Wedges say to warming "not so fast" because they last and last and last and last.

The amount of poetry generated over the years by the wedge is truly astonishing. 

As lovely as the poetry above is, this wedge will be short lived and warming to follow!  So when I am enjoying a nice bicycle ride on the sun drenched Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend, some will be pining away for cold cloudy rain; so sad.

What part do you ride on? I have rode the Parkway a few times over the years only on the southern end. Is it even open yet? I see it staying closed as this upcoming system could be snow above 6000ft.

Definitely looking forward to the nice chilly wedge Thursday! Should be a fun day of wx to follow though not a good walking day.

I remembered the old saying.

April wedges...

suck.

What part do you ride on? I have rode the Parkway a few times over the years only on the southern end. Is it even open yet? I see it staying closed as this upcoming system could be snow above 6000ft.

I normally get on the Parkway about where the Folk Art Center is in Asheville and ride north.  Of course riding with it closed is the best time; one of the great benefits of winter in the mountains. The NPS is now posting the closures on an online map; see here:

http://maps.nps.gov/blri/road-closures/

I normally get on the Parkway about where the Folk Art Center is in Asheville and ride north.  Of course riding with it closed is the best time; one of the great benefits of winter in the mountains. The NPS is now posting the closures on an online map; see here:

http://maps.nps.gov/blri/road-closures/

Thanks for the link. I see where you ride at, I have never been on that part of the Parkway. I like the southern end as it has  a lot of elevation changes, of course it seems like it is always the last to open due to snow and ice and stays fairly chilly up there until late in may or early June.

Ugh, the pollen is starting to make itself felt now.  I've had some minor sneezing and a bit of a runny nose for the last day or so.  Time to hit the Claritin. perhaps?  Pollen Watch 2013 has begun.  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:

At least it held off this long, I guess.  Pollen hasn't bothered me as much in recent years, so perhaps it won't be so bad.

Ugh, the pollen is starting to make itself felt now. I've had some minor sneezing and a bit of a runny nose for the last day or so. Time to hit the Claritin. perhaps? Pollen Watch 2013 has begun. :axe::axe::axe:

At least it held off this long, I guess. Pollen hasn't bothered me as much in recent years, so perhaps it won't be so bad.

Somebody we know will start a thread on allergy meds or pollen activity

With the big wedge just one day away, I was wondering if anyone has heard this famous one?

"Our Friend the Wedge"

Wedges say to warming "not so fast" because they last and last and last and last.

The amount of poetry generated over the years by the wedge is truly astonishing. 

Thanks man.....

NWS Greenville

This shows an area sleet changing to freezing rain then

rain over the upper and middle French Broad valley. Over the Blue

Ridge and northern mountains...sleet mixes with or changes to snow before

becoming all rain. The lower elevations of the northern foothills...and

even a portion of the northwest Piedmont...start as sleet then quickly

change to rain. Will likely not issue an advisory with this update

as would like to see this trend continue in later runs.

"Our Friend the Wedge"

As I live and breathe....Crossroads is a poet!!  Wonders never cease :)

I welcome all Wedges, especially in the middle of summer, when they drop the temps into the 70's, wedged in between 90's.....and a fall wedge brings the days of drizzle, and cold, so well loved...but the winter wedge, with the ice, and sleet, is probably the epitome of a weather treat....except for the demon zrain, of course...at least anything over an inch :)  T

Archived