• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
CWG - Complaint/Praise thread

Deck Pic

as i already mentioned, but I'll do it again since you missed it,  I sat in a park with a ton of other people on March 10th at around 59-60 degrees and people were in shorts and short sleeves and bikinis, for hours and hours...on March 30th I was downtown with a million people at around 59-60 degrees and everyone was raving about how gorgeous it was....even with dew in the 30s, 75 in direct sun for hours is hot...and I maintain that people sitting in the sun for extended periods would rather have 65- 68 and sunny than 75....In the evening or in the shade is a different story....people may say 75, but if I plop them in a park on a blanket or in right field at the Nats game, they will quickly change their mind...nothwithstanding that a lot of people decry the quick spring, and appreciate 60s and sunny as long as we can get it....The idea that someone needs a jacket to sit outside on April 4th when it is 65 degrees is hilarious...people were laying in the park yesterday at 48 degrees and windy...

Pretty much every person I saw yesterday was wearing a jacket or coat.  I was in a Chipotle for lunch, and people were complaining about how cold it's been, and how sick of the cold weather they are.  I went over to Wegmans, and heard a couple of other similar conversations.  Yesterday, with its afternoon temperature being 15 degrees below average, was not a pleasant day.  I don't know what goes on down in DC, but up this way, people were certainly not laying in the park sunning themselves.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much every person I saw yesterday was wearing a jacket or coat.  I was in a Chipotle for lunch, and people were complaining about how cold it's been, and how sick of the cold weather they are.  I went over to Wegmans, and heard a couple of other similar conversations.  Yesterday, with its afternoon temperature being 15 degrees below average, was not a pleasant day.  I don't know what goes on down in DC, but up this way, people were certainly not laying in the park sunning themselves.

they had jackets on...very few people were without jackets yesterday

I'm with you.  I haven't heard anyone remark on how fabulous the weather has been recently - just how chilly and windy it's been.  Maybe the hipsters in the District just think it's cool to get out and lounge in the park on a cool spring day.

It is too dependent on other factors to pick a number. I can be comfortable sitting in my shaded backyard at 82/60 with a nice breeze, or I can be comfortable at 55 and sun while mowing/raking/golfing.

Probably tho an 80 around now usually feels a little too warm when not acclimated or whatever. There's a difference between 80/60 in late Mar or early April and August as an example.

The sun is strong either way so if you can kill the breeze a 'cool' day does feel pretty awesome.

I kinda agree tho that we are losing some nice days at least. If its a sign summer won't be torrid that's one thing but if we just flip from cold to hot it's another.

I'm with you.  I haven't heard anyone remark on how fabulous the weather has been recently - just how chilly and windy it's been.  Maybe the hipsters in the District just think it's cool to get out and lounge in the park on a cool spring day.

There were thousands of people outside last Saturday and it was absolutely beautiful...maybe you were at the computer complaining

I've found I usually need a jacket in the mornings/evening until June....May is usually 50-50, but in a normal May, upper 50s at night requires something if hanging/walking outside for any extended period at night...

Yeah tho I could see myself ditching the coat on the way to work etc next week. I don't do a ton of hanging out for long periods outside at night usually I guess.

Probably tho an 80 around now usually feels a little too warm when not acclimated or whatever. There's a difference between 80/60 in late Mar or early April and August as an example.

The sun is strong either way so if you can kill the breeze a 'cool' day does feel pretty awesome.

I kinda agree tho that we are losing some nice days at least. If its a sign summer won't be torrid that's one thing but if we just flip don cold to hot it's another.

I agree with this.  This time of year, to me anyway, anything below 55 is chilly, and anything above 75 is too warm.  Right now, a 65 degree day with sunshine and blue skies is perfect.  The problem with the cold weather sticking around is that we lose those 65 degree days, and go from chill to heat in a very short time.

There were thousands of people outside last Saturday and it was absolutely beautiful...maybe you were at the computer complaining

Last Saturday was absolutely amazing.  I was down in Baltimore and it was absolutely beautiful.  60 degrees, sunshine, little wind, made it feel very pleasant.  I think the complaints are that we have had very few of those types of days, and many more of the windy/cloudy/cold/below-average days.  And days that are forecast to be nice usually end up not being that way.  Take today for example - it's almost 11am, only in the 30s, and the sky is already clouded up in advance of the next system.  I was hoping it would turn out nicer, but that appears like it's not going to be the case today.

The problem with this year is that we haven't had as many 60s and sunny to this point as most years.  We've been ripped off on Spring over the past several years by diving right into summer.  This year, we have lost a couple of weeks because it has been chilly and breezy.  Either way, it shortens one of the nice times of year.

It is too dependent on other factors to pick a number.  I can be comfortable sitting in my shaded backyard at 82/60 with a nice breeze, or I can be comfortable at 55 and sun while mowing/raking/golfing.

I kinda agree tho that we are losing some nice days at least. If its a sign summer won't be torrid that's one thing but if we just flip from cold to hot it's another.

May 2008 sans the 4-5 day washout is about as good as we can hope for.....about half the month was perfect low humidity blue sky days averaging around 75-54......go minus in May and June and I'll be happy....I don't really care if July is +3...it sucks anyway....90/72 days are pretty useless

Saturday wasn't bad, but I think (can't recall) it got a little breezy.  I was more likely to be doing yardwork, hanging out with the baby, walking the dog, watching soccer, or anything else other than sitting at a keyboard for any stretch of time.

Yeah, it's been below avg tempwise (for a change) and the wind has been real annoying, but all the complaining about the "cold" (we're talking 40s and 50s here mind you - and not 20s and 30s) is comical.  For all those currently shivering in their arctic suits try to remember this in mid July when DCA is on a 5 day 100+ streak and everyone is bitching about the sweltering heat.  :lol:

Yeah, it's been below avg tempwise (for a change) and the wind has been real annoying, but all the complaining about the "cold" (we're talking 40s and 50s here mind you - and not 20s and 30s) is comical. For all those currently shivering in their arctic suits try to remember this in mid July when DCA is on a 5 day 100+ streak and everyone is bitching about the sweltering heat. :lol:

A lot of the complaining is due to the fact that it's about time for extended periods of 50 or so with wind to be gone. It's all contextual. When the average high is a few degrees north or south of 60 areawide, most people are ready for it to warm up, especially after a relatively cold March.

Yeah, it's been below avg tempwise (for a change) and the wind has been real annoying, but all the complaining about the "cold" (we're talking 40s and 50s here mind you - and not 20s and 30s) is comical.  For all those currently shivering in their arctic suits try to remember this in mid July when DCA is on a 5 day 100+ streak and everyone is bitching about the sweltering heat.  :lol:

Come on now... "cold" is relative.  Most people are sick of winter by the time we hit late March and early April, so continuing with -15 departures and highs in the mid-40s with winds is a legitimate source of complaint by the average person.  People aren't complaining because it's only 60 degrees and they want it to be 75 degrees... they're complaining because it's 47 degrees, and not even close to the average of 63 degrees, which would actually be pleasant for the average person wanting to enjoy spring temperatures and conditions.

Let's be honest - this board has an anti-warm, pro-cold bias, and is simply not representative of reality for most people, despite what some may state here.

as i already mentioned, but I'll do it again since you missed it,  I sat in a park with a ton of other people on March 10th at around 59-60 degrees and people were in shorts and short sleeves and bikinis, for hours and hours...on March 30th I was downtown with a million people at around 59-60 degrees and everyone was raving about how gorgeous it was....even with dew in the 30s, 75 in direct sun for hours is hot...and I maintain that people sitting in the sun for extended periods would rather have 65- 68 and sunny than 75....In the evening or in the shade is a different story....people may say 75, but if I plop them in a park on a blanket or in right field at the Nats game, they will quickly change their mind...nothwithstanding that a lot of people decry the quick spring, and appreciate 60s and sunny as long as we can get it....The idea that someone needs a jacket to sit outside on April 4th when it is 65 degrees is hilarious...people were laying in the park yesterday at 48 degrees and windy...

yeah...i'm right

yeah...i'm right

I missed that part of your post. I did not mean that you needed a jacket in 65 degree weather... that's pants and t-shirt weather (or shorts if it's not too windy and you're in the sun all day). I was relating the jeans+jacket to the upper 40s/50s that people were experiencing at the time of the post and that those would be history once things warmed up.

Was sitting on my patio earlier with 65 and a light breeze in my t-shirt and jeans and it was great. That's a 9/10 day in my book for early April.

Archived