Dump Trump
CWG - Complaint/Praise thread

Deck Pic

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last few days have been painful

I'm going to be very disappointed when I can wear shorts instead of pants :(

RE: The 60s vs. 70s temps in spring... I think almost everyone would take 70s over 60s. I can understand the cold+snow vs. warm+sunny complaints (though warm+sunny is certainly in the majority), but this recent complaint is just silly.

I'm going to be very disappointed when I can wear shorts instead of pants :(

RE: The 60s vs. 70s temps in spring... I think almost everyone would take 70s over 60s. I can understand the cold+snow vs. warm+sunny complaints (though warm+sunny is certainly in the majority), but this recent complaint is just silly.

Average high now for DC metro is upper 50s to low 60s....I completely disagree that almost everyone wants to skip forward to temps 12 - 15 degrees above normal, with a powerful april sun....on Saturday afternoon I was downtown where temps were mostly upper 50s with a light breeze, and everyone I was with commented on how absolutely gorgeous the day was.....Ian rightly gave it a 9....So, I disagree that people would have preferred it was 15 degrees warmer than it was

It's hard to complain too much about a sunny day at this pt.. the sun is pretty damn strong.  Ideally it would be nicer to have a little less wind but any sort of wintry feel is about to be gone for a long while so whatever. I like the transition.. no need to jump straight to 80. In a lot of ways this type of spring is way better than last year.

It's hard to complain too much about a sunny day at this pt.. the sun is pretty damn strong.  Ideally it would be nicer to have a little less wind but any sort of wintry feel is about to be gone for a long while so whatever. I like the transition.. no need to jump straight to 80. In a lot of ways this type of spring is way better than last year.

yup..wind/wind direction is a huge factor....when we were sitting outside on February 10th for your birthday brunch at 12:30-1:00...it was 37-38 degrees and it felt awesome....Keep the wind under 15mph and today in the sun will feel incredible....I sat in Meridian Hill park on March 10th with 1000 other people and temps around 60 and it was incredible...people were in shorts and bikinis and it wasn't remotely chilly until around 6:30pm...we sat outside for 4-5 hours....

Today is a little crisp for some people, but 55 and sunny w/ light breeze this time of year is sick

No complaints about it being seasonably mild.  It's the days where it's in the 40s, and we have a cold wind with afternoon cloudiness that sucks.  60 degrees and sunny is perfect this time of year.  Last Saturday was beautiful, but Sunday, not so much.  The 70s can hold off for a bit longer, because that usually means that the days and evenings aren't as crisp and clear.

Tomorrow is a 9 or 10 day.....at least an 8...I imagine Dave at CWG will give it a 5 or 6.....7 would be a nice surprise...

If it hits 55 or 56 degrees, with no wind and sunshine most of the day, then I would agree with an 8.   If the high clouds come in sooner, it's not going to feel as warm, so for me, the score goes to a 5 or 6.

Average high now for DC metro is upper 50s to low 60s....I completely disagree that almost everyone wants to skip forward to temps 12 - 15 degrees above normal, with a powerful april sun....on Saturday afternoon I was downtown where temps were mostly upper 50s with a light breeze, and everyone I was with commented on how absolutely gorgeous the day was.....Ian rightly gave it a 9....So, I disagree that people would have preferred it was 15 degrees warmer than it was

Yes 60s are nice for this time of year against climo, but in a simple "would you rather have 60s or 70s" question the 70s would win out by a large margin. I agree that 60s are just fine and dandy for early April, but I would still prefer 70s.

EDIT to add: I never said 60s were bad, just that 70s are better. That is what CWG is kind of saying as well. They never lambasted 60s, just that we would eventually surpass even that and get into the 70s.

The good news, however, is that today will most likely be the coldest day we see for quite some time, with the possible exception of a rain-chilled Friday. 60s look to give 50s a knock-out punch this weekend, and 70s may not be too far behind. How sweet it will be!

Yes 60s are nice for this time of year against climo, but in a simple "would you rather have 60s or 70s" question the 70s would win out by a large margin. I agree that 60s are just fine and dandy for early April, but I would still prefer 70s.

EDIT to add: I never said 60s were bad, just that 70s are better. That is what CWG is kind of saying as well. They never lambasted 60s, just that we would eventually surpass even that and get into the 70s.

Give me the 70's in April.

Dan gives 88/65 days 9's and 10's so I'm pretty sure he doesnt like 60s

I honestly don't think the public has a clue what the temp is.  I have done plenty of outside lamping this winter/spring and I seriously doubt a near windless blue sky day feels better to the public at 75 versus say 65-68 at this time of year...even 58-61 feels amazing...outside downtown is jammed with people including the park and it is 47...I just sat outside for 45 minutes....

75 and sunny this time of year in the sun with no breeze is going to be sweat inducing and too hot for a lot of people.....

Dan gives 88/65 days 9's and 10's so I'm pretty sure he doesnt like 60s

I honestly don't think the public has a clue what the temp is.  I have done plenty of outside lamping this winter/spring and I seriously doubt a near windless blue sky day feels better to the public at 75 versus say 65-68 at this time of year...even 58-61 feels amazing...outside downtown is jammed with people including the park and it is 47...I just sat outside for 45 minutes....

So how does that compare to when it's in the 70s? I never mentioned how CWG ranks an 88/65 day, just that they (and I) think that 70s are better than 60s. I'm sure the public will notice the temp difference when their clothing goes from jeans and jackets to short sleeves and shorts. Whatever digit CWG decides to give a day doesn't excuse the fact that the overall reception of getting 70s in April is overwhelmingly positive (in the CWG Facebook comments and Twitter replies).

75 and sunny this time of year in the sun with no breeze is going to be sweat inducing and too hot for a lot of people.....

lol at 75 being too hot for a lot of people in April. The only people I've seen complain about 75 in April are... you. And maybe the errant snow weenie.

75 in April is ridiculously to warm. 54 to 64 is a good range for april. I have heard of lots of people b**ch when it gets to 75 and higher in April, it is to early to get that warm. I was overhearing today that some people want a gradual roll into spring, not thrusted into summer heat in April

75 in April is ridiculously to warm. 54 to 64 is a good range for april. I have heard of lots of people b**ch when it gets to 75 and higher in April, it is to early to get that warm. I was overhearing today that some people want a gradual roll into spring, not thrusted into summer heat in April

54-64 is pretty well below normal when you take the whole month into account.

54-64 is pretty well below normal when you take the whole month into account.

The average high at IAD on April 1 is 62.  The average high on April 30 is 71 degrees.  So in general, a 70 degree day in April (at least for most of the month) is not average, and a 55 degree day is also not average.  Of course, both happen in April often enough, so in a sense, 58 degrees is as normal as 68, given the variability that occurs during the month.

However, if asked whether a 70 degree day is more comfortable than a 60 degree day, most people are going to pick the 70 degree day.

The average high at IAD on April 1 is 62.  The average high on April 30 is 71 degrees.  So in general, a 70 degree day in April (at least for most of the month) is not average, and a 55 degree day is also not average.  Of course, both happen in April often enough, so in a sense, 58 degrees is as normal as 68, given the variability that occurs during the month.

However, if asked whether a 70 degree day is more comfortable than a 60 degree day, most people are going to pick the 70 degree day.

54 v 62 and 64 v 71 - i.e. an average of 59 v an average of 66.5.  That's pretty well below normal/average/regular/etc., which is what I was getting at.

So how does that compare to when it's in the 70s? I never mentioned how CWG ranks an 88/65 day, just that they (and I) think that 70s are better than 60s. I'm sure the public will notice the temp difference when their clothing goes from jeans and jackets to short sleeves and shorts. Whatever digit CWG decides to give a day doesn't excuse the fact that the overall reception of getting 70s in April is overwhelmingly positive (in the CWG Facebook comments and Twitter replies).

lol at 75 being too hot for a lot of people in April. The only people I've seen complain about 75 in April are... you. And maybe the errant snow weenie.

as i already mentioned, but I'll do it again since you missed it,  I sat in a park with a ton of other people on March 10th at around 59-60 degrees and people were in shorts and short sleeves and bikinis, for hours and hours...on March 30th I was downtown with a million people at around 59-60 degrees and everyone was raving about how gorgeous it was....even with dew in the 30s, 75 in direct sun for hours is hot...and I maintain that people sitting in the sun for extended periods would rather have 65- 68 and sunny than 75....In the evening or in the shade is a different story....people may say 75, but if I plop them in a park on a blanket or in right field at the Nats game, they will quickly change their mind...nothwithstanding that a lot of people decry the quick spring, and appreciate 60s and sunny as long as we can get it....The idea that someone needs a jacket to sit outside on April 4th when it is 65 degrees is hilarious...people were laying in the park yesterday at 48 degrees and windy...

To me it's not till about 80 you start to feel too warm this time of year. Guess it depends on dews, wind, etc.

depends what you are doing too...75 in the shade is nice...i still dont think everyone wants +10-+15 in April....a common narrative is how much people hate when spring lasts 5 minutes

depends what you are doing too...75 in the shade is nice...i still dont think everyone wants +10-+15 in April....a common narrative is how much people hate when spring lasts 5 minutes

Yeah I definitely prefer this to last year even though I like warmth. It was cold last night but it feels fine out there now. There's definitely too much whining from certain contingents.

as i already mentioned, but I'll do it again since you missed it,  I sat in a park with a ton of other people on March 10th at around 59-60 degrees and people were in shorts and short sleeves and bikinis, for hours and hours...on March 30th I was downtown with a million people at around 59-60 degrees and everyone was raving about how gorgeous it was....even with dew in the 30s, 75 in direct sun for hours is hot...and I maintain that people sitting in the sun for extended periods would rather have 65- 68 and sunny than 75....In the evening or in the shade is a different story....people may say 75, but if I plop them in a park on a blanket or in right field at the Nats game, they will quickly change their mind...nothwithstanding that a lot of people decry the quick spring, and appreciate 60s and sunny as long as we can get it....The idea that someone needs a jacket to sit outside on April 4th when it is 65 degrees is hilarious...people were laying in the park yesterday at 48 degrees and windy...

The problem with this year is that we haven't had as many 60s and sunny to this point as most years.  We've been ripped off on Spring over the past several years by diving right into summer.  This year, we have lost a couple of weeks because it has been chilly and breezy.  Either way, it shortens one of the nice times of year.

To me it's not till about 80 you start to feel too warm this time of year. Guess it depends on dews, wind, etc.

It is too dependent on other factors to pick a number.  I can be comfortable sitting in my shaded backyard at 82/60 with a nice breeze, or I can be comfortable at 55 and sun while mowing/raking/golfing.

Archived