• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2013 General Discussion Part 2

SchaumburgStormer

2F here...  what a crock!  My heating bill this month will be 100x what it was last March (when i had it turned off).

March 2012 average high temp at LSE through 3/20: 58.7º

March 2013 average high temp at LSE through 3/20: 32.2º

Might be a push for me with my electricity bill, considering I had to run the AC last March. :D

Chicagowx-

LaCrosse: -7.9F

Cold.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2F here...  what a crock!  My heating bill this month will be 100x what it was last March (when i had it turned off).

March 2012 average high temp at LSE through 3/20: 58.7º

March 2013 average high temp at LSE through 3/20: 32.2º

Might be a push for me with my electricity bill, considering I had to run the AC last March. :D

Chicagowx-

LaCrosse: -7.9F

Cold.

Last year my March gas bill was around $60... This year it will be around $150.

it really is incredible when you compare this march to last march.  As crazy and consistently warm as it was then....it's almost equally as crazy and consistently cold this March.

regarding Roger Smiths forecast for a Morch:

Interestingly, I was checking the stats and this March is really not all that remarkable in Toronto or Ontario in general. If anything, it's a seasonal March. It doesn't light a candle to 1960,1984, 1989 or 1996.

I know it's been 26 years but that picture still makes me cringe more than laugh.

yea, hope i didn't offend in my attempt at humor....I usually use the benchmark that after 25 yrs the 'too soon' argument is pretty much dead.

Back to topic at hand.  It's amazing that we had a dusting of powdery snow in the pre-dawn, and at 10am, with bright (late March) sunshine, it's surviving.

yea, hope i didn't offend in my attempt at humor....I usually use the benchmark that after 25 yrs the 'too soon' argument is pretty much dead.

Back to topic at hand.  It's amazing that we had a dusting of powdery snow in the pre-dawn, and at 10am, with bright (late March) sunshine, it's surviving.

Beh, I'm probably too sensitive about it.  

It's snowed and blew most of the night.I can't see out very well yet, but can see my driveway is completely drifted shut.I have a 42" wooden snowman by the deck and only bout 7" of his hat is showing.

I had back up north as soon as the weather warm ups. Can't wait to see the massive snow piles in parking lots.

People around here are starting to lose their minds with this cold March. Of course most of them are idiots that think last March was normal.

here they say.... "eh, it's northern Michigan, it's March."

0900 AM     SNOW             7 NE MANCELONA          44.98N 84.97W

03/21/2013  M8.0 INCH        ANTRIM             MI   TRAINED SPOTTER

24 HR TOTAL THRU 9 AM. SNOWDEPTH 36 IN.

got nailed last night.... came down hard and fast!

Down to 11° here this morning. At least the sun angle is higher and warms the house better than say in January.

DLL- Yeah awesome hill. I saw drivers doing between 80-85 mph! Along that stretch there was some pretty awesome ice flows off the bluffs.

You got the boring stretch right. Probably the stretch between I-35 and Sioux Falls is the flattest. One thing that makes it a little more interesting is all the wind mills that have been put up along that stretch.

The MO River observation center at Chamberlain is on the south side of 90. Yeah great place to stop and view the river valley. Here to Rapid City was 15 hours. -probably about 10 or 11 for you.

Still some ice on the MO River.

Burst of +SN out there right now. Visibility down to 1/4mile. I think it really says something about this month when I looked outside to see this kind of snow on March 21 and thought to myself, "again?" Days with heavy snow like this have really been par for the course which is something you rarely see even in months like January.

People around here are starting to lose their minds with this cold March. Of course most of them are idiots that think last March was normal.

I think it's short term or selective memory too.   I was talking to a client yesterday and when i reminded him that places in Michigan hit 90 last March he didn't believe me.  He though I was exaggerating and said, upper 70's maybe, but no way in hell any place in Michigan hit 90's in March. 

of course I emailed him the stats when I got back to the office.  I should have bet him first.

Burst of +SN out there right now. Visibility down to 1/4mile. I think it really says something about this month when I looked outside to see this kind of snow on March 21 and thought to myself, "again?" Days with heavy snow like this have really been par for the course which is something you rarely see even in months like January.

Same up here in Toronto. Total snowpour right now. Although the intensity is something to behold, I'd definitely trade it for lighter, steadier snow that didn't melt the minute the sun comes out once the shower is over. 

Same up here in Toronto. Total snowpour right now. Although the intensity is something to behold, I'd definitely trade it for lighter, steadier snow that didn't melt the minute the sun comes out once the shower is over. 

Didn't quite make +SN here but high end moderate.

Regarding Toronto (YYZ) average March daily highs (°C):

2013 (so far): 2.2

2012: 12.4

2011: 3.7

2010: 9.2

2009: 5.8

2008: 2.1

2007: 4.7

2006: 5.9

2005: 2.6

2004: 6.1

2003: 4.6

So if the current month were to stay on track, this would be the 2nd coldest March at YYZ in 10 years.

I think it's short term or selective memory too.   I was talking to a client yesterday and when i reminded him that places in Michigan hit 90 last March he didn't believe me.  He though I was exaggerating and said, upper 70's maybe, but no way in hell any place in Michigan hit 90's in March. 

of course I emailed him the stats when I got back to the office.  I should have bet him first.

What places in Michigan hit 90º last March? I don't remember that.

What places in Michigan hit 90º last March? I don't remember that.

DTW hit 86F and MBS hit 87F, but I dont think anyone hit 90F. At least not officially. Maybe Buckeye was exaggerating a tad for good measure :lol:. Hell, Detroits earliest 90F on record is May 5, 1895.

Regarding the current state of the cold weather, unlike most, I don't mind the cold, boring weather. Because when its so unseasonably cold so late in the season, you have a CHANCE for a nice snowstorm, a better chance than if it was mild. That said, if it stays cold and doesnt produce anything other than the 2" snow last Saturday (and hours on end of flakes that have amounted to a trace the last 3 days here) it will be a disappointment. We had a great Feb here, and we did way better in Dec/Jan than most...so it would not be surprising if we get the shaft in march when most surrounding areas N, S, W do better (sitting at just 2.8" imby in Mar). Ma Nature likes to even things out. Still have a ways to go before Im close to writing off this next storm though. GO GGEM lol.

You had made a comment about the green grass the other day. I took a pic to show the difference between this year and last year. Last year was crazy. It would have been better if there was snowcover (we have a slight T of snow on the ground but only in shaded areas, which the front yard is not) but you can see the difference in the grass alone.

post-276-0-27829400-1363907696_thumb.jpg

DTW hit 86F and MBS hit 87F, but I dont think anyone hit 90F. At least not officially. Maybe Buckeye was exaggerating a tad for good measure :lol:. Hell, Detroits earliest 90F on record is May 5, 1895.

Regarding the current state of the cold weather, unlike most, I don't mind the cold, boring weather. Because when its so unseasonably cold so late in the season, you have a CHANCE for a nice snowstorm, a better chance than if it was mild. That said, if it stays cold and doesnt produce anything other than the 2" snow last Saturday (and hours on end of flakes that have amounted to a trace the last 3 days here) it will be a disappointment. We had a great Feb here, and we did way better in Dec/Jan than most...so it would not be surprising if we get the shaft in march when most surrounding areas N, S, W do better (sitting at just 2.8" imby in Mar). Ma Nature likes to even things out. Still have a ways to go before Im close to writing off this next storm though. GO GGEM lol.

You had made a comment about the green grass the other day. I took a pic to show the difference between this year and last year. Last year was crazy. It would have been better if there was snowcover (we have a slight T of snow on the ground but only in shaded areas, which the front yard is not) but you can see the difference in the grass alone.

Lol at your excessivly high manufactured snow piles.

Archived