12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 2013 General Discussion Part 2

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winter almost always starts in late October. Frequent 2-4 inch events and they have long periods of Nothing though that is the part that I would personally hate. Just very cold like -30f sometimes. lots of Sun and but very dry. Snow cover just stays around forever which is a huge positive.

Yeah, they get some modest snowstorms in the fall and spring, but the dead of winter is usually dead as far as action is concerned. I guess that's good if I'm supposed to be focusing on studying but I'm wondering how much I'm going to care one way or ther other. Ji once said he didn't care about travelling to see snow because it has to be ihby to enjoy it. He used the phrase "owning the snow". I kind of feel the same way. Toronto is still my home so whether Edmonton gets buried or not may not interest me. Or maybe it will. Who knows.

Winters out in Alberta have been milder of late. They tend to get really cold in late October and November, then get warm for the heart of the winter season. Very odd climate out there.

Law school?

Yeah. I have a full time job which I enjoy so I'm not 100% committed at this point but I'm leaning towards law school because of the increased earning power down the road.

Yeah, they get some modest snowstorms in the fall and spring, but the dead of winter is usually dead as far as action is concerned. I guess that's good if I'm supposed to be focusing on studying but I'm wondering how much I'm going to care one way or ther other. Ji once said he didn't care about travelling to see snow because it has to be ihby to enjoy it. He used the phrase "owning the snow". I kind of feel the same way. Toronto is still my home so whether Edmonton gets buried or not may not interest me. Or maybe it will. Who knows.

Or being in an area that has no issues in receiving snowfall could also help...like Algoma College in SSM.

Cold 20's with flurries. Went to town, it was so still, grey and cold with the smell of chimney smoke. Felt nostalgia for December/January but also felt a twinge of depression because I need some sun. Local weatherman interviewed apx yesterday and basically will have snow on the ground til mid April but then he said it will likely be like the flip of a switch and Spring will arrive 3rd week of April.

34F here...maybe a tick higher between obs...  NWS mentions this:

IN THE WAKE OF THE SUNDAY/SUNDAY NIGHT STORM SYSTEM...A REINFORCINGSHOT OF COLDER AIR LOOKS TO FOLLOW FOR MONDAY INTO MUCH OF NEXTWEEK. CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER FORECASTS THE ATLANTIC OSCILLATIONTO REMAIN NEGATIVE THROUGH AT LEAST APRIL 1ST...WHICH SUPPORTS OURSTRETCH OF UNSEASONABLY COLD TEMPERATURES. THE LATEST CFSTEMPERATURE ANOMALIES SHOW BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES EVEN INTO MIDAPRIL POSSIBLY. LONGWAVE TROUGHING CONTINUES ACROSS THE EASTERN HALFOF THE CONUS...WITH A WESTERN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE DEVELOPING BY THEEND OF NEXT WEEK. 850MB STANDARDIZED ANOMALIES VARY FROM -0.5 TO-1.5 EACH DAY NEXT WEEK...GIVING HIGHS IN THE LOWER TO MID 30S ANDOVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE TEENS. TO HELP TREND THE FORECASTBETTER...HAVE COOLED HIGHS/LOWS EACH DAY TO REMOVE CLIMATOLOGY BIASIN THE MODEL CONSENSUS THAT IS BEING INTRODUCED. THE THEME OF DRYBUT COLD CONTINUES...WITH NO STORM SYSTEMS ON THE HORIZON UNTIL NEXTWEEKEND POSSIBLY.

Good chance I'll be in Edmonton, Alberta next winter.

So I guess this will be the last winter of keeping personal snowfall records in Etobicoke. I'm sure Pearson Airport will do a great job of filling in. LOL. Or maybe not.

But seriously, with a -PNA regime dominating for the most part, I'm sure you'll get your fair share of winter weather out in Alberta, especially in the fall and spring.

-7.24° now for the month. Probably end up better than -8° for the month as it looks right now. 

Hit 19° this morning and now the lake breeze is keeping the temp in check. 

You can see the big difference in the water temperatures on Lake Michigan this year vs. last year.

avgtemps-m.gif

Archived