• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2013 General Discussion Part 2

SchaumburgStormer

My point has the most specific timeframe for snow that I've ever seen. I'll have to set the alarm clock to see if it busts.

Tonight Scattered snow showers, mainly between 2am and 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably played out, but IND was 50 degrees colder today versus last year on this date...33º vs 83º. Max temperature departures wise, that's -21º vs +29º. Neat extremes in either direction really...especially one year apart.

Not any more played out than day after day of +25° departures last year. Quite an amazing difference from one year to the next.

Had a high of 22 today, MKE made it to 21. So officially a 62° difference in highs from last year to this year...

High  Low   Departure
March 20th 2012 -   83°   52°        +32
March 20th 2013 -   21°   12°        -19
Difference              -62°  -40°

Just heard some reports on the 10pm news and McMillan(Luce county) in the UP has received 10" since 4pm, and Petoskey in NW lower has had 6" since 4pm and I'm at 5.5" since 5 pm.

Haven't seen a vehicle in 2 hours.  Road is a complete mess with the N wind gusting.

How much snow have you see this year? You guys have had an incredible year.

Bo - I guess you won't be BBQ'ing on your deck anytime soon! Great pictures.

---

Weather story 1.

Location: eastern Black Hills between Rapid City and the Badlands, SD.

Saturday the weather started with light snow in the hills, but quickly built into a heavy wet snow with huge flakes. During the visit to the Badlands the snow was only sticking to the dirt and grasses there. Even in shaded areas the pavement was staying clear. As the afternoon went on the temperatures cooled into the upper 20s with snow rates increasing a tad. Traveling from Wall, SD to Rapid City the snow began to stick better and better on I-90 with visibilities hanging around 500 feet. Once in Rapid City at about 6pm there was about 6"-7" of snow on the grass and about 4" on the roads. Travel was tricky, but not impossible due to light winds. The snow covered trees and rocks were beautiful.

Snow first falling near Custer.

Badlands.

Rapid City.

West of Rapid City.

Weather story 2.

Sunday I was in northeast WY at Devils Tower and in areas nearby like Spearfish and Deadwood, SD. Morning weather was great with fresh snow on the ground, but very little on the roads. Sunshine ruled and temperatures quickly spiked in the mid-40s around Deadwood. Traveling into Wyoming from Spearfish skies clouded over and by the time I reached the border winds were gusting around 30mph and a passing showers were moving in. The journey the rest of the way to Devil's Tower wasn't too bad. A light snow started to fall, but the visibility was still 1-2 miles. Winds were around 25 mph. For those of you that don't know the area - the terrain is hilly with tree filled valley's and barren ridge tops. Devil's Tower is perched up high over the surrounding terrain by several hundred feet so the conditions there were a bit more harsh. Myself and the few of friends I was with didn't stick around a real long time in the park. The snow was coming down in sheets at about 30° and was starting to stick to the pavement, trees, and rocks. Coming out of the park and traveling back towards 90, which is about 20 miles the roads got worse and snow fell harder. The hilly terrain made traveling slow going, but driving conditions were still manageable compared to what was going to come next out in the more flat areas.  

Got to Sundance, WY which was seeing moderate snow and blowing snow when we reached there at 4:30pm. I asked the gas station clerk what was the best way back to the Custer area, which is a good 80 miles from the town. He was like well the snow is falling harder over the northern Black Hills where we had just come from but the winds were lighter. The other route was a short cut, but moderate snow and higher winds would be common cutting through Wyoming and then back east into South Dakota. So I figured to take my chances and go the shorter route and avoid the heavier snow, steeper roads and sharp curves. Was able to follow a snow plow out of town to the south that was plowing back drifts and sanding the roads. (They seem to only salt in and around towns - and sand the many miles of rural roads.) Conditions quickly deteriorated as the terrain flattened out. Snow was moderate with winds clocking around 40mph. Gusts around 45 mph I would guess. The next 35 miles it was whiteout conditions with visibilities under 150 feet. At times I was driving at a crawl around 15 mph. There was probably only 3" or so on the ground already, but the winds made it look like the GHD blizzard. Luckily the snow plow was still in front and there was a few other people driving on the same road with there lights and hazards on. The snow plow did not however continue down the 2nd road I was taking towards Newcastle, WY. The last 5 miles or so were the worst with moderate snow and visibilities at times down to 10 feet. Had to pull off on a road that lead to a ranch for a little bit when the snow was the heaviest. Amazingly I did not see anyone in the ditches - I guess the residents know how to drive in these conditions well. At the worst times I had to use the metal poles on each sides of the road that were spaced every 40 feet or so as guides to stay on the road. My all wheel drive also helped immensely - only slipped once while coming to a stop. 

Some pictures below to illustrate the story.

Devil's Tower snow.

Continued below...

How much snow have you see this year? You guys have had an incredible year.

Stebo after today/tonight about 130" here......

Bo - I guess you won't be BBQ'ing on your deck anytime soon! Great pictures.

---

Weather story 1.

Location: eastern Black Hills between Rapid City and the Badlands, SD.

Saturday the weather started with light snow in the hills, but quickly built into a heavy wet snow with huge flakes. During the visit to the Badlands the snow was only sticking to the dirt and grasses there. Even in shaded areas the pavement was staying clear. As the afternoon went on the temperatures cooled into the upper 20s with snow rates increasing a tad. Traveling from Wall, SD to Rapid City the snow began to stick better and better on I-90 with visibilities hanging around 500 feet. Once in Rapid City at about 6pm there was about 6"-7" of snow on the grass and about 4" on the roads. Travel was tricky, but not impossible due to light winds. The snow covered trees and rocks were beautiful.

Snow first falling near Custer.

Badlands.

Rapid City.

West of Rapid City.

attachicon.gif130316_0017_small.png

Weather story 2.

Sunday I was in northeast WY at Devils Tower and in areas nearby like Spearfish and Deadwood, SD. Morning weather was great with fresh snow on the ground, but very little on the roads. Sunshine ruled and temperatures quickly spiked in the mid-40s around Deadwood. Traveling into Wyoming from Spearfish skies clouded over and by the time I reached the border winds were gusting around 30mph and a passing showers were moving in. The journey the rest of the way to Devil's Tower wasn't too bad. A light snow started to fall, but the visibility was still 1-2 miles. Winds were around 25 mph. For those of you that don't know the area - the terrain is hilly with tree filled valley's and barren ridge tops. Devil's Tower is perched up high over the surrounding terrain by several hundred feet so the conditions there were a bit more harsh. Myself and the few of friends I was with didn't stick around a real long time in the park. The snow was coming down in sheets at about 30° and was starting to stick to the pavement, trees, and rocks. Coming out of the park and traveling back towards 90, which is about 20 miles the roads got worse and snow fell harder. The hilly terrain made traveling slow going, but driving conditions were still manageable compared to what was going to come next out in the more flat areas.  

Got to Sundance, WY which was seeing moderate snow and blowing snow when we reached there at 4:30pm. I asked the gas station clerk what was the best way back to the Custer area, which is a good 80 miles from the town. He was like well the snow is falling harder over the northern Black Hills where we had just come from but the winds were lighter. The other route was a short cut, but moderate snow and higher winds would be common cutting through Wyoming and then back east into South Dakota. So I figured to take my chances and go the shorter route and avoid the heavier snow, steeper roads and sharp curves. Was able to follow a snow plow out of town to the south that was plowing back drifts and sanding the roads. (They seem to only salt in and around towns - and sand the many miles of rural roads.) Conditions quickly deteriorated as the terrain flattened out. Snow was moderate with winds clocking around 40mph. Gusts around 45 mph I would guess. The next 35 miles it was whiteout conditions with visibilities under 150 feet. At times I was driving at a crawl around 15 mph. There was probably only 3" or so on the ground already, but the winds made it look like the GHD blizzard. Luckily the snow plow was still in front and there was a few other people driving on the same road with there lights and hazards on. The snow plow did not however continue down the 2nd road I was taking towards Newcastle, WY. The last 5 miles or so were the worst with moderate snow and visibilities at times down to 10 feet. Had to pull off on a road that lead to a ranch for a little bit when the snow was the heaviest. Amazingly I did not see anyone in the ditches - I guess the residents know how to drive in these conditions well. At the worst times I had to use the metal poles on each sides of the road that were spaced every 40 feet or so as guides to stay on the road. My all wheel drive also helped immensely - only slipped once while coming to a stop. 

Some pictures below to illustrate the story.

Devil's Tower snow.

attachicon.gifDSCN1622_small.jpg

Continued below...

Geos, that deck is an empty summer cottage on the lake across the road. I grill daily almost so I keep my deck cleared on one side :P

Amazing pics. I like the 4th one that shows the hill with the evergreen forest. Great quality pics too!

thx for sharing! Kinda expected them to have more snow out that way tho.

Nice pics Geos.  That one pic kinda reminds me of that movie Close Encounters lol.  Great movie.

Been played out quite a bit, but the differences between this March and last March are just flat out amazing.  Last March was exceedingly warm, and this one is exceedingly cool.  Makes for a tremendous contrast between the two.  Don't know if any other month in the year can ever offer the opportunity for such a stark contrast in temps like March can. 

Here's a comparison for highs here from March 14th through March 21st. 

2012   2013

14th      79       40

15th      81       43

16th      81       38

17th      82       36

18th      82       35

19th      79       32

20th      83       25

21st       84       29*

*Not recorded yet, but the point forecast for 21st.

I'm gonna trust that this is legit, but holy crap look how green the grass was on March 20 last year in the photo from this story today in the Kankakee Daily Journal.

http://daily-journal.com/archives/dj/display.php?id=505031

Yup..by March 20th last year the magnolias were in full bloom and the grass was that deep emerald green you only see a few weeks every year (supposed to be in April). It will be crazy to see how different the greenup dates are this year from last...as this year could easily be behind normal.

Nice pics Geos.  That one pic kinda reminds me of that movie Close Encounters lol.  Great movie.

Thanks. Yep, that was the location. 

I'm sure You and other members that live out in open areas experience strong winds and drifting snow more than people in more urban areas. I gotta say conditions like that would easily shut down any city even if it was only advisory level snows. Those Plains snowstorms are different beasts.

March 2013 average temps and departures to date, through yesterday.

BMG: 36.2º -4.5º

EVV: 39.3º -4.9º

FWA: 31.8º -4.5º

IND: 34.7º -5.5º

LAF: 32.7º -5.9º

SBN: 31.0º -4.3º

March 2012 vs March 2013 comparison, through yesterday.

March 2013 average temps and departures to date, through yesterday.

BMG: 36.2º -4.5º

EVV: 39.3º -4.9º

FWA: 31.8º -4.5º

IND: 34.7º -5.5º

LAF: 32.7º -5.9º

SBN: 31.0º -4.3º

March 2012 vs March 2013 comparison, through yesterday.

it really is incredible when you compare this march to last march.  As crazy and consistently warm as it was then....it's almost equally as crazy and consistently cold this March.

regarding Roger Smiths forecast for a Morch:

post-622-0-26833500-1363869993_thumb.jpg

I'll do something interesting. Next year, I'll have my 2 year old provide monthly predictions. I'll put down two circles with one for positive and another for negative.... I'll tell him to pick one each month and we will compare this to Accuweather, TWC and JB...... I'm betting that my 2 year old hits the mark as often as the pros.

2F here...  what a crock!  My heating bill this month will be 100x what it was last March (when i had it turned off).

Cyclone-

My brother's own land about 15 minutes west of BRF...I can just imagine how cold it is down in the valley...There is probably 20 inches of snow on the ground in that area.

Geos-

Looks awesome..   I can't wait to get back out there.  Its a loooooooooooooong boring drive though, isn't it?  Especially that stretch from say Rochester to the Missouri River (there is a great rest area right by the Missouri River)?   I've got a brother who lives in Rochester and a nephew who lives in Sioux Falls...so I have a few stops I can make along the way.    Did you like coming down Nodine hill (when you dropped off the bluff and into the Mississippi river valley?)  That is like the autobahn there...just bury it and see what happens...  In high school a buddy and I in his BMW hit speeds I'll never hit again.

Well...the forecast doesn't look horrible...lots of sun and temps nearing 30F ThursFriSat...the key being very light winds...which will make it feel warmer with the March sun... 

Archived