e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March 6-8 2013 Significant Coastal Storm Observations

earthlight

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mount Holly WWA for IMBY said 1-3". I've just surpassed 3 inches. This storm is overperforming as much as the coastal system underperformed.

So true. These on-air and radio mets for NYC are downplaying the storm saying that the snow will stop very soon and amount to very little. They are causing people to venture out in very hazardous conditions especially outside the city since public schools are open. In reality, it seems that NYC will have snow rates of 1-2"/hr. for at least 4 more hours given the hi-res models and radar.

That's why I said I wish I knew how to post pix.  My wife is a photographer, but she'd kill me if I woke her up.  You'll have to take our word for it, but I'd swear on a stack of bibles, although I'm an atheist so that won't really help, lol.  But anyone who's seen my posts hopefully knows that I'm a nut about measuring accurately (taking at least 10 measurements and averaging them - I usually use a board, but not tonight, since I honestly wasn't thinking of staying up this late - been measuring on my car and my back yard deck, both of which are unobstructed.  Interestingly, the car has about 1/4" more than the deck and 1/2" more than the lawn, presumably because no liquid "ponded" on my car, so less melting took place when the snow started. 

Just woke up - woohoo!  5" baby!  Amazing looking out there!  Even have an inch of snow on paved surfaces.  Major forecast bust, lol.  And still snowing decently.  Gotta go to work...

Guest Pamela

Measured 3.3 inches of new snow in Port Jefferson as of 4:30 AM. There was 1.0 inches of snow from the first part of the event but that melted yesterday afternoon. 4.3 inches total from the system so far.

Measured 4.5" of new snow in Port Jefferson as of 6:30 AM / 5.5" from the 2 days combined.

Wow. Rockland County isn't coming in on the low end for once. Only 3-4 down this way.

Not to go all nzucker, lol, but i havent checked my parents house at lower elevation yet. They were well behind us as of 9 or 10 last night when we finished up that first heavy band.

Moderate snow now. Everything covered. Eyeballing it 0.5" on the pavement. 1-2" on the grass.

Meanwhile approaching 4" out in Douglaston, Queens and moderate to sometimes heavy snow falling.

Going to be some wacky totals across the area thanks to surface temps and where bands are.

Just great looking outside, don't need a blizzard every time to enjoy it. (Although it does not hurt either :-)

Not to go all nzucker, lol, but i havent checked my parents house at lower elevation yet. They were well behind us as of 9 or 10 last night when we finished up that first heavy band.

I'm in Piermont a lot and I always notice the difference between snow amounts right on the river and a bit higher on 9w...little micro climates tend to show themselves around here during these borderline early/late season events.   I'm sure PIP up on the cliffs in Alpine has an inch or 2 more than me right now, maybe even more.

I'm in Piermont a lot and I always notice the difference between snow amounts right on the river and a bit higher on 9w...little micro climates tend to show themselves around here during these borderline early/late season events. I'm sure PIP up on the cliffs in Alpine has an inch or 2 more than me right now, maybe even more.

Yup, i live on one of the ridges atop the palisades basically, there are spots up here that get over 600' especially near Rockland Lake. These early and late season snows are awesome for that....ive beat my parents house, only a mile away but at around 180', by more than 6" a couple seasons.

Archived