• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part II

free_man

Jerry I am actually wondering at what point folks are going to realize this is a Megastorm with mega inflow producing copious amounts of iso lift. Came south?.??? , actually trended stronger across all parameters. DT is delusional.

I think rain/snow questions are valid, after all this is a retrograding airmass to our northeast.  Dynamics obviously overcome a lot, but I wonder if the wind and coastal issues might trump snow in the end as highest impacts from this storm if it were to hit as depicted by the gfs.

I will wait until the best model in the world comes on board before buying  a ticket, but the train is certainly getting close.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's one thing to ride the Euro, most of us do including the pros. But discounting everything else is just stupid. Especially with the Euro trending a certain way. It's like no one wants to do some critical thinking.

Stunning.  We're screwed when Harv and Barry retire, we really are.

Butterfly kisses and lollipops on Wednesday.  Nothing to see here, maybe a slushy snowshower in the foothills, a passing sprinkle on the coast with some slight puffs of wind.  Tune back in Thursday morning when we'll let you know how much will fall Wednesday night.

post-3232-0-54442100-1362437838_thumb.gi

Stunning.  We're screwed when Harv and Barry retire, we really are.

Butterfly kisses and lollipops on Wednesday.  Nothing to see here, maybe a slushy snowshower in the foothills, a passing sprinkle on the coast with some slight puffs of wind.  Tune back in Thursday morning when we'll let you know how much will fall Wednesday night.

Re 18z ens.  Just WOW!!

Upton seems confused with this, their AFD seemed very brief and un Upton like, not to mention they delayed it an hour, presumably for a more thorough look. They also threw out this map which makes little to no sense, even the EURO is 3-6" in NYC according to the NYC forum.

I really don't like to criticize the NWS, they do a great job with what they are given, but this map seems absurdly low...

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

-skisheep

The big, burning question will be this -

Will Ekster lose his bet to TheSnowman Cory?

Cory didn't actually realize I moved to Maine. So there was no bet that I know of, lol. Just a dustitng today here...may be pretty easy to beat.

This is one of those storm situations where every network will show radically different forecasts; some prior to model updates, some post model updates.  Its going to be a nightmare for the public to make any sense of all this.. To wit, that awful upton map just posted by Skisheep.. Sheesh.. :axe:

If I was going on air tonight for NYC metro, I'd go 3-6" as a baseline, and emphasize the potential for much more. Really no model is 1-3" in NYC anymore since the EURO caved, I think even the GGEM is that much, and given that the RGEM is much better(extrapolating), I think the GGEM can be tossed for the most point. Probably would go 6-8" for BOS, with the potential for much more again.

The 1-3" by Upton seems just absurd, especially for areas not in the immediate metro and LI(Connecticut, Westchester, and New Jersey)

I would be very suprised to see Upton and Taunton not put out watches overnight, assuming no drastic shift SE.

-skisheep

The gfs has rocked sne for 5 consecutive runs. the amazing thing has been the consistency from run to run. AND....the other models have made big moves in its direction. AND....we are now within 48 hours of the onset of the event. What in tarnation do forecasting folks want to see. Not alerting the public to the strong potential at this point is borderline ..(fill in the blank)..at this point. This is coming and it will be a very big event.

If anybody remembers or has archived a more impressive winter storm GEFS map at t minus 60 hrs I would love to see it

It's one thing to ride the Euro, most of us do including the pros. But discounting everything else is just stupid. Especially with the Euro trending a certain way. It's like no one wants to do some critical thinking.

Channel 9 here in NH was interesting.  He actually showed the Euro and talked about the track the Euro projects.  He said it was the most trusted model. He did say other models were showing a much closer path and potentially big snowfall for NH.  He urged everyone to stay tuned.  All in all a much more urgent message than the laid back Boston 6pm forecasts.

Archived