CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
And the Banter Marches On . . .

HimoorWx

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really excited for this March.  The weather looks at least interesting, there should be some warm days, some cold days, some snow.  The skiing and riding in the mountains right now is the best I've seen it in two years.  The last of the snow on my lawn from the blizzard is just barely hanging on so I may see some grass soon, but I'm not worried about it - so far its been a nice winter for me!

Edit to add:  Also, now that I've posted in a banter thread (outside of the ski thread) I feel like I'm well on my way to becoming a true weather weenie after two winter seasons of lurking.

I'm really excited for this March.  The weather looks at least interesting, there should be some warm days, some cold days, some snow.  The skiing and riding in the mountains right now is the best I've seen it in two years.  The last of the snow on my lawn from the blizzard is just barely hanging on so I may see some grass soon, but I'm not worried about it - so far its been a nice winter for me!

Edit to add:  Also, now that I've posted in a banter thread (outside of the ski thread) I feel like I'm well on my way to becoming a true weather weenie after two winter seasons of lurking.

We still have some good patches of snow hanging on in the yard, but a lot of the lawn has reappeared over the last two days.  Maybe we can get a nice storm next week and a little more time for snowshoeing.  If not, it's almost time to get the bicycle out of the garage.  And, daylight savings time begins a week from Sunday, so more time for after work fun.

I'm hoping this is the first March since 2007 where I can get a solid 2+ weeks of snow cover. Still have a solid 10-12" in the yard. I did notice yesterday though that near downtown areas on sun-torched south facing slopes, some grass is re-appearing.

We're going to have a slow drip over the next several days...hopefully we can replenish it some with that storm next week.

I'm hoping this is the first March since 2007 where I can get a solid 2+ weeks of snow cover. Still have a solid 10-12" in the yard. I did notice yesterday though that near downtown areas on sun-torched south facing slopes, some grass is re-appearing.

We're going to have a slow drip over the next several days...hopefully we can replenish it some with that storm next week.

Characteristically ... we are already verifying an early spring...  how?  Bowling season -  there are two important player events across the entire 240 hours of this 12z Euro and they are both quasi if not totally severed from the westerlies.   Looks more like April 1

The AO is tanked though... I am wondering if it is not evenly dispersed about the hemisphere, because the westerlies should be more suppress over NA if it were.  

Be that as it may, the AO is rising by mid month, with several members even edging positive.  The NAO is rising toward neutral, and the PNA is concertedly negative from both foreign and domestic sources...  

Whatever you got you should be okay through mid month I think.  There is a bit of a Norlun look to the retrograding over the weekend, which won't promote much melting (perhaps adding), then if the GFS works out that's a 9:1 blue of many inches.   

So yeah, there's a few ifs there, but if the longer range tele spread works out, we really push crocuses and bumble bees out of their hiding nearing the equinox.  

A lot of the area is bare except for patches...even outside the city.

Train ride in has a pretty good line around 128....Wellseley still has like 90% cover (at least along where the train rides which is residential and not highway torch spots) and by the time you go 5 miles east of there its down below 50% cover.

Train ride in has a pretty good line around 128....Wellseley still has like 90% cover (at least along where the train rides which is residential and not highway torch spots) and by the time you go 5 miles east of there its down below 50% cover.

Yeah even 128/93 has decent snow. The areas in the Winchester Highlands that had snow a couple of days ago our struggling a bit.

So 20 years ago I was a junior at Colgate in Hamilton, NY, and was about two weeks away from the most memorable weather event of my life. I assume there will be an "I remember when" thread on that....

Wasn't that big of a deal down in eastern Mass, actually... I was living in Acton, Ma at that time ... I measure 15.5 inches, respectable, but not even in the top 10 for that location in Mass.   The most impressive part was the 3 and a half hours of white out wind and snow in the late afternoon and early evening.  By 9 that night, there was big sleet pellets falling with occasional lightning and thunder, temp just below freezing. The next morning was sun and cirrus with some tree swaying wind, that never verified the wind warning.  If one did not have a television and knew of the impacts elsewhere that storm was forgettable actually.   Funny -

Wasn't that big of a deal down in eastern Mass, actually... I was living in Acton, Ma at that time ... I measure 15.5 inches, respectable, but not even in the top 10 for that location in Mass. The most impressive part was the 3 and a half hours of white out wind and snow in the late afternoon and early evening. By 9 that night, there was big sleet pellets falling with occasional lightning and thunder, temp just below freezing. The next morning was sun and cirrus with some tree swaying wind, that never verified the wind warning. If one did not have a television and knew of the impacts elsewhere that storm was forgettable actually. Funny -

Yeah, I was definitely in the right place at the right time. Syracuse (closest "big city" to us) recorded 43", and the whole region was paralyzed. Of course, with no Internet then and minimal cable on campus we relied mainly on local TV forecasts. Really only had 1-2 days' notice. It's funny to think about what that would've been like through today's technological lense.

Was happy to see 13" measured on the stake yesterday.  Not awe-inspiring for the first day of met spirng, but not too shabby either.  I hope I can get more than 13" on that before the season ends.  Will need to deal with several days of melting and will be tough to recoup that with any net gain short of the very unlikely end of the week event.

29.3/24

Some lonely flurries out there for me this morning on my lonely 17 mile run  29.3

Nice distance, Kevin!  What race do you have coming up?

Meanwhile, a few signs of spring.  One is the emergence of songbirds (or at least the singing of songbirds).  Two:  the emergence of both skunks and oppossum from hibernation.  Tough for them trying to find food through all the snow.  Them, ftl.

Gorgeous morning, skies have cleared out with temps in the mid 30s. Snow is gone outside lonely patches and piles.  Great weekend to get outside and enjoy some early spring activities, personally I am driving the truck up to Mt Tolland to have it washed and detailed:)

Nice distance, Kevin!  What race do you have coming up?

Meanwhile, a few signs of spring.  One is the emergence of songbirds (or at least the singing of songbirds).  Two:  the emergence of both skunks and oppossum from hibernation.  Tough for them trying to find food through all the snow.  Them, ftl.

I'm running the Providence Marathon May 12...Week 8 of training complete..

Gorgeous morning, skies have cleared out with temps in the mid 30s. Snow is gone outside lonely patches and piles.  Great weekend to get outside and enjoy some early spring activities, personally I am driving the truck up to Mt Tolland to have it washed and detailed:)

I washed mine yesterday..today after soccer..I'm gonna wax it, black magic on the tires and clean the rims

I washed mine yesterday..today after soccer..I'm gonna wax it, black magic on the tires and clean the rims

Nice..........take a pic!  You do need to  get a few dings on that truck though, maybe let a loader crush the tailgate, something.

Archived