Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Rockin' March

Ian

That last sentence is awesome.

I'm not sure what the deal is lately. The Euro is clearly superior on the whole but the GFS is much better than it used to be and it still 'wins' quite often. I think some of it is a push to try to get more funding to better the GFS but it goes into the absurd realm... Mets with a big audience are poisoning the discussion by clearly not knowing what they are talking about. You see plenty of them still say the 18z runs are crap and that nothing matters if the Euro doesn't show it.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good points Ian. I used to think the euro was the darling can't be wrong model because that's all I heard and I wasn't knowledgeable enough to compare anything.

I've seen enough the last 3 years or so. Both the euro and gfs have their strengths and weaknesses. And the gfs is an excellent model. I think they are equals in many respects. It also bugs me every time I hear goofus. Someone who consistently calls the gfs that doesn't know how to read models and use them as the tool they are designed for.

Good points Ian. I used to think the euro was the darling can't be wrong model because that's all I heard and I wasn't knowledgeable enough to compare anything.

I've seen enough the last 3 years or so. Both the euro and gfs have their strengths and weaknesses. And the gfs is an excellent model. I think they are equals in many respects. It also bugs me every time I hear goofus. Someone who consistently calls the gfs that doesn't know how to read models and use them as the tool they are designed for.

Well, they aren't equals really and verification bears that out (though the gap isn't nearly as extreme as people make it seem).  You are certainly right about people needing to learn how to interpret/use/apply models (instead of expecting deterministic output to verify as-is).

Well, they aren't equals really and verification bears that out (though the gap isn't nearly as extreme as people make it seem). You are certainly right about people needing to learn how to interpret/use/apply models (instead of expecting deterministic output to verify as-is).

Yea, score wise the euro wins. But as you said, it's closer than many think. Maybe part of the bias is because snow is a movie star of weather events and the euro gets the big ones right sooner and more accurately more often than the gfs. But the gfs usually beats the euro with more subtle events. Especially ns dominant patterns.

Just watched an hilarious video on youtube made by a Met who posts on FB... he showed every op model run over the last 24 hours (Ukie, EC, GFS, Canadian) and for each model that didn't show a HECS impacting central VA he wrote a "WRONG" with big red ink over the slide.  it was 7 minutes of some of the most delusional model-huggin material I think I have ever seen.

BTW... the 12z EURO was Right...   

Just watched an hilarious video on youtube made by a Met who posts on FB... he showed every op model run over the last 24 hours (Ukie, EC, GFS, Canadian) and for each model that didn't show a HECS impacting central VA he wrote a "WRONG" with big red ink over the slide.  it was 7 minutes of some of the most delusional model-huggin material I think I have ever seen.

BTW... the 12z EURO was Right...   

DT

Hey does anyone know where you can get Historical Model data form... I want to look at what the MSLP looked like for the model runs of the GFS approaching some of our historical events... like in 2009-2010... 2003, etc 

Would be totally proper for a storm we actually started to believe in to hit NC after this winter. 

The 500 low looks pretty solid but I wonder if we'll end up worrying about sfc temps in the end anyway especially if there is no phase.

Nothing different about this scenario that hasn't been repeated ad naseum this winter.  Euro picks up a D7 storm for a few runs then at 5 days the GFS says no way.  People look to other models to support the Euro and dissect what the GFS is doing wrong.  Then at D4 the Euro caves to the GFS and we're left to chase the next D10 event or pattern change.  Except this time the next fantasy land chase is likely to be tornadic.

Nothing different about this scenario that hasn't been repeated ad naseum this winter.  Euro picks up a D7 storm for a few runs then at 5 days the GFS says no way.  People look to other models to support the Euro and dissect what the GFS is doing wrong.  Then at D4 the Euro caves to the GFS and we're left to chase the next D10 event or pattern change.  Except this time the next fantasy land chase is likely to be tornadic.

Except that it's a fairly different setup. Even if the "feelings" are similar and the bust potential - it's not like we are in an identical setup to the rest of winter here. 

Except that it's a fairly different setup. Even if the "feelings" are similar and the bust potential - it's not like we are in an identical setup to the rest of winter here. 

true tho most setups around here are tricky and different. sometimes i get the sense that we oversell "uncertainty" in that almost every storm is like that at range. we just didn't used to talk about storms 8 days out nearly as much... perahps because skill has gotten better. it's really the rare storm that is easy to figure out by now.

Archived