12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Rockin' March

Ian

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is obvious that "many" have a go along mentality and those who don't go along with the consensus way of thinking is wrong even when right

it's odd to say the least

Then you'll be right and the "many" will be wrong. I just don't understand the annoyance you are feeling over people hoping that this will turn out to be partly snow.

Then you'll be right and the "many" will be wrong. I just don't understand the annoyance you are feeling over people hoping that this will turn out to be partly snow.

He is understandably annoyed that people are all nuts about a run that is not an all snow event for a lot of people. I think everyone is tired of this silliness that we can worry about the details later when the details never every improve or trend in our favor. We have an all or nothing mentality in this forum. Either it is nothing or it is march 62. When the possibility of a small impact weird snow/rain event that may miss us is the most likely scenario right now.

I guess I just don't see the fun in it all anymore. If it snows it snows. This perma HECS chasing is a little weird.

We're 0-15 going into the final game after 0-16 the previous season. Nobody likes a winless season. Back to back is unthinkable. So we root. And it's fun. 

He is understandably annoyed that people are all nuts about a run that is not an all snow event for a lot of people. I think everyone is tired of this silliness that we can worry about the details later when the details never every improve or trend in our favor. We have an all or nothing mentality in this forum. Either it is nothing or it is march 62. When the possibility of a small impact weird snow/rain event that may miss us is the most likely scenario right now.

This is the balance that is always discussed on here though-- the difference between what people hope for and what they expect. Sure, given this season, we all expect a miss- not just a cold rain, but a flat-out miss where we get drizzle at 40 degrees.

Agreed.

Mitch is at least party right. I mean I'm glad people have fun with it all that I can't seem to anymore but the the jubilation over day 5 runs after what we've been through and given our Mar climo is silly. I don't think it was always like this though.. Every storm is one to compare to a KU event from range these days.

We're 0-15 going into the final game after 0-16 the previous season. Nobody likes a winless season. Back to back is unthinkable. So we root. And it's fun.

I guess. Not sure why people can't keep the banter in here then. There is nothing remotely scientific about going all in at day 5.

I guess I understand Leesburg's point more now. He's not an idiot-- he's not expecting big snows in the midst of the dreadful winter. But some can read weenie-ish (e.g. hopeful) posts. laugh them off, and not be annoyed, while others really get annoyed by them and really want to snuff out the hope for the sake of reality. Is one level of tolerance better than the other? I don't know...

I guess I understand Leesburg's point more now. He's not an idiot-- he's not expecting big snows in the midst of the dreadful winter. But some can read weenie-ish (e.g. hopeful) posts. laugh them off, and not be annoyed, while others really get annoyed by them and really want to snuff out the hope for the sake of reality. Is one level of tolerance better than the other? I don't know...

You're kinda bipolar on this issue anyway.

I guess. Not sure why people can't keep the banter in here then. There is nothing remotely scientific about going all in at day 5.

All in talk is in jest. At least I think it is. It definitely is with me. Just having some fun. And don't worry, this place will be crickets soon enough for quite a few months. Spring/Summer/Fall vacation around here is pretty low population. Luckily the quality posters stick around. Weather beyond snow is interesting. Even 106 degree heat has it's moments.

All in talk is in jest. At least I think it is. It definitely is with me. Just having some fun. And don't worry, this place will be crickets soon enough for quite a few months. Spring/Summer/Fall vacation around here is pretty low population. Luckily the quality posters stick around. Weather beyond snow is interesting. Even 106 degree heat has it's moments.

You'd think so but I don't believe it is fully. If the storm happens those all iners will be like 'yeah I called this at day 7'.

I'm in a different place than most posters here. I used to find it enjoyable to discuss the models panel by panel as they ran.. Maybe I still do in a good winter.. But the need to work myself into a frenzy along with everyone else is something that isn't that much fun anymore. I'd rather be real.

Regardless.. This is the banter thread. Considering how much stuff I see deleted when nothing is going on people should try to remember that.

I guess so. Or maybe not bipolar but just reached Bob Chill's "oh well" mentality after how dreadful this winter's been :(

You're very rigid about a lot of things discussed here so I guess I'm surprised you are a fan of the nonstop HECS talk at range.

And, Ian, again, I am confused by how you see some of the discussion. All the models can do at long range is show potential (or not). Any discussion of that you seem to term as useless or shouldn't be had. Not sure what there is to discuss on a weather board then. Would your default be no threads or discussion of anything until it is 72 hours away? Because that seems to be the only practical answer to your general complaints.

And, Ian, again, I am confused by how you see some of the discussion. All the models can do at long range is show potential (or not). Any discussion of that you seem to term as useless or shouldn't be had. Not sure what there is to discuss on a weather board then. Would your default be no threads or discussion of anything until it is 72 hours away? Because that seems to be the only practical answer to your general complaints.

There probably is no practical answer. I think storms in 5-10 days range get too much play overall.. I mean people blog about day 8 threats that never happen these days. It's the rare case a day 5+ threat works out as it looks at the time.

It's clear by the response to people who are cautious that the HECS talk is preferred to measured realism.

I think the HECS focus is overblown. I am posting in the long range thread (sometimes, and probably not to any great effect), and when I do, my focus is on "is there a storm". I am not really aware of anyone saying "yup, its gonna be a HECS". That would be insane. I do think for it be a serious accumulating snow event at this late stage, it would have to be a big one for our area. Mitch is right that chasing a small fringes event probably isn't gonna work out.

There probably is no practical answer.

No there really isn't. The only way to get rid of storm talk in the 5-10 day range is to have a storm to talk about inside of 5 days. This is just an internet forum that is lucky enough to have real mets on board. The majority is a weenie message board that got so big it needed to be divided with weenie neighborhood boundaries.

Now I agree about media and blogs being irresponsible irt hyping outside of 5 days. Sources of supposed quality information should self govern a lot better than a place like this. If I understand your posts correctly, the frustration you're voicing is more wholesale than it is just in relation to this board. However, a message board should be given a lot more latitude irt criticism in comparison to real media sources. If mainstream public is using these subforums as place to acquire accurate and acute knowledge about weather in their back yard then god help them. 

Long story short, I think you should take your frustrations out on accuwx and wxrisk and troll the living hell out of them.

I guess I just don't see the fun in it all anymore. If it snows it snows. This perma HECS chasing is a little weird.

Yeah, I agree.  However, I do think that it would have occurred less this winter if last winter had not been so awful, or if we had actually hit close to our averages for snowfall this winter.  It's been so long since people have seen a good snowfall, that there is a level of desperation in here by some.  Myself, I'm over this winter.  Frankly, I would be fine if next week's threat doesn't pan out.  The roads stay salt and chemical free, and my car can stay clean.   :)

Archived