• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 25/26th Winter Weather Event Disc./Obs.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problems with the weather posts in this thread.  I'm curious about this event myself.  If others think it's a worthless thread, they don't have to read it, but I appreciate all the weather info being posted, as it's also kinda close to home for me.

The latest NAM seems to be a little warmer than prior runs.  I think WilkesboroDude and Big Frosty have the best chance at seeing something from this other than the mountain posters.

I don't mind Wilkes posting either, he posts weather info that is relevant.

Although he may not spend as much time with the ladies that he should, I appreciate his love for weather and his efforts to inform members on potential.

Obviously this has potential to be a serious event for the northern mtns. I feel like the few posters in the mtns including myself get neglected sometimes but that happens when you are the minority. Best of luck to everyone with this little system tonight and tomorrow

Tstorms!

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC640 AM EST MON FEB 25 2013.SYNOPSIS...A STRONG STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE FROM THE SOUTHERN PLAINSNORTHEASTWARD THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY TODAY THROUGH TUESDAY. THETRAILING COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE REGION LATE TONIGHT THROUGHTUESDAY

[cut]

ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE WILL STRENGTHEN THIS EVE AND ESPECIALLY TONIGHTACROSS THE EASTERN CAROLINAS. RAIN WILL BE EDGING TOWARD THESOUTHERNMOST PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA LATE DAY AND THIS EVEWITH THE BEST CHANCE FOR MEASURABLE RAIN BEFORE DARK NEAR THE SOUTHSANTEE RIVER. MODELS CONTINUE TO SHOW THE WEDGE...AND THUS THE DRYAIR...BEING SLOW TO ERODE...ESPECIALLY BELOW 3 KFT. THUS...LIGHTRAIN MAY FALL AS VIRGA FOR A TIME AND NOT ACTUALLY REACH THE GROUND.WILL BEGIN TO RAMP POPS HIGHER IN THE EVE ACROSS SOUTH CAROLINA ANDLATE EVE AND OVERNIGHT ACROSS NORTH CAROLINA. MEASURABLE RAIN ISEXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS ALL OF THE AREA...FROM S TO N TONIGHT...AND POPS WILL BE CATEGORICAL. RAINFALL AMOUNTS THROUGH TONIGHT AREEXPECTED TO REACH ONE TENTH TO A LITTLE MORE THAN ONE HALF INCH...HIGHEST S...WITH MORE RAIN...POSSIBLY HEAVY AT TIMES ON TUE.MIXED LAYER CAPE VALUES AND MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES DO NOT QUITESUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF EVEN ELEVATED THUNDERSTORMS OVERNIGHT ANDSO WE WILL NOT INCLUDE MENTION OF THUNDERSTORMS UNTIL TUE AFTERNOON.

[cut]

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...AS OF 3 AM MONDAY...TUESDAY SHAPING UP TO BE QUITE ACTIVE WITH TWOSEPARATE WEATHER CONCERNS ALL WITHIN ABOUT THE FIRST 12 HOURS. ATDAYBREAK THERE WILL BE MODERATE TO POSSIBLY HEAVY RAINFALL QUITEWIDESPREAD IN THE WARM ADVECTION ZONE. DEEPLY OCCLUDED PARENT LOWWILL BE OVER WRN KY/TN WHILE SUBTLE TRIPLE POINT LOW MOVES UP THECENTRAL CAROLINAS. BY ABOUT 18 THE DEEPEST MOISTURE AND ISENTROPICRAINS SHOULD LIFT TO THE NORTH OF THE REGION. DRY SLOT IMPINGINGFROM THE WEST ALONG WITH CONTINUED LOW LEVEL JETTING INTO THERMALTROUGH COULD CAUSE CONSIDERABLE EROSION OF CLOUDINESS WHILE MIDLEVEL HEIGHT FALLS AND PVA ARE STILL MOVING IN FROM THE WEST. THISIS PORTRAYED QUITE BELIEVABLY IN 12KM WRF PROG OF 0-3 MUCAPE PLOTSWHICH SHOW VALUES IN THE 500-1000J/KG RANGE ADVECTING INTO SOUTHCAROLINA 18Z-21Z AND EVEN CAPE FEAR/COASTAL NC COUNTIES 21-03Z. LOWLEVEL WIND FIELDS QUITE IMPRESSIVE SO THERE IS CERTAINLY A DAMAGINGWIND THREAT SHOULD CONVECTION DEVELOP. 0-3KM SRH VERY HIGH ALONG THEWARM FRONT AND SO WILL BE RECEDING TO THE NORTH AND EAST. SHOULD THELINE OF CONVECTION DEVELOP AND PROGRESS EAST FAST ENOUGH IT MAYBENEFIT FROM THE LOW LEVEL TURNING SUFFICIENTLY TO ENHANCE THEALREADY NON-ZERO TORNADO THREAT ESPECIALLY SINCE A VAST MAJORITY OFTHE SRH ACTUALLY FOUND IN THE 0-1KM LAYER. LOW LEVEL DRYING WILL LAGTHE MID LEVEL DRYING BY ONLY 1-3 HOURS IN MOST PLACES AS IT SWEEPSWEST TO EAST ACRS THE REGION LATE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. WEDNESDAYWILL BE QUITE SUNNY AND BRING A CONTINUATION OF COLD AND DRYADVECTION. THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR SOME BREEZINESS DURING PEAKHEATING GIVEN SOME FAIRLY ROBUST WINDS IN THE LOWER LEVELS BUT MOSTOF THEM APPEAR TO BE TRAPPED ABOVE THE STRONG FRONTAL INVERSION AT3-3.5KFT. YET MORE CAA WED NIGHT BUT A CONTINUED WEST WIND PREVENTSANY RAD COOLING.

06Z GFS was quite chilly for Tuesday AM too.  GSP is forecasting a high of 50 with filtered sunshine this morning.  I'm currently sitting at 35 with a solid cloud cover.  I don't think I'll see the sun at all today based on current satellite images.  Thus, I'm wondering how much above 40 I'll actually make it today IMBY.  This could make it easier to wet-bulb down to freezing overnight with the precip arriving.  Currently, there is absolutely no mention at all of freezing precip in GSP's disco except for the mountain counties of Avery, Mitchell, etc.

hnrY7MP.png

Also from RAH -- may receive some sleet at the start of the event tonight. What interesting (to me) is the cold start here in north NC. At RDU it's 33 with a dewpt of 21 and overcast skys. Something to watch today.

.SHORT TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...
AS OF 310 AM MONDAY...

ACTIVE WEATHER LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY...

AS A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LOW LIFTS FROM TEXAS TOWARD
ILLINOIS/INDIANA TONIGHT...A WARM FRONT ALONG THE GULF COAST WILL
BEGIN LIFT NORTHWARD ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST US.  MEANWHILE...STRONG
UPPER DIFFLUENCE AHEAD OF A 120KT JET MAX ON THE SOUTHEAST FLANK OF
THE UPPER LOW...ALONG WITH A 50+ KT SOUTHEASTERLY LOW LEVEL JET WILL
SHIFT NORTHEAST ACROSS THE CAROLINAS...WITH RAIN SPREADING ACROSS
THE AREA AFTER 06Z.  THE STRONG WARM ADVECTION COMBINED PRECIP
FALLING INTO THE DRY SURFACE RIDGE...WHERE DEWPOINTS WILL BE IN THE
LOWER 20S THIS AFTERNOON...WILL LEAD TO A STRONG COLD AIR DAMMING
SETUP.  THE SURFACE WETBULB FREEZING LINE IS FORECAST TO LIE IN THE
VICINITY OF THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT TONIGHT...BUT IS ALSO FORECAST TO
QUICKLY RETREAT NORTH OUT OF THE CWA IN THE 09-15Z TIMEFRAME.

CRITICAL THICKNESSES AND WETBULB PROFILES SUGGEST RAIN MAY MIX WITH
SLEET AT THE ONSET
OF PRECIP BEFORE CHANGING TO ALL RAIN. THE
DRYNESS OF THE ANTECEDENT AIRMASS TODAY AND THE FACT THAT THE PARENT
HIGH WILL STILL BE SOMEWHAT FAVORABLY POSITIONED OVER NEW ENGLAND AT
12Z TUESDAY IS A LITTLE CONCERNING...BUT THIS POINT WE DO NOT EXPECT
ANY IMPACTS.

Also from RAH -- may receive some sleet at the start of the event tonight. What interesting (to me) is the cold start here in north NC. At RDU it's 33 with a dewpt of 21 and overcast skys. Something to watch today.

.SHORT TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...

AS OF 310 AM MONDAY...

ACTIVE WEATHER LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY...

AS A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM LOW LIFTS FROM TEXAS TOWARD

ILLINOIS/INDIANA TONIGHT...A WARM FRONT ALONG THE GULF COAST WILL

BEGIN LIFT NORTHWARD ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST US.  MEANWHILE...STRONG

UPPER DIFFLUENCE AHEAD OF A 120KT JET MAX ON THE SOUTHEAST FLANK OF

THE UPPER LOW...ALONG WITH A 50+ KT SOUTHEASTERLY LOW LEVEL JET WILL

SHIFT NORTHEAST ACROSS THE CAROLINAS...WITH RAIN SPREADING ACROSS

THE AREA AFTER 06Z.  THE STRONG WARM ADVECTION COMBINED PRECIP

FALLING INTO THE DRY SURFACE RIDGE...WHERE DEWPOINTS WILL BE IN THE

LOWER 20S THIS AFTERNOON...WILL LEAD TO A STRONG COLD AIR DAMMING

SETUP.  THE SURFACE WETBULB FREEZING LINE IS FORECAST TO LIE IN THE

VICINITY OF THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT TONIGHT...BUT IS ALSO FORECAST TO

QUICKLY RETREAT NORTH OUT OF THE CWA IN THE 09-15Z TIMEFRAME.

CRITICAL THICKNESSES AND WETBULB PROFILES SUGGEST RAIN MAY MIX WITH

SLEET AT THE ONSET OF PRECIP BEFORE CHANGING TO ALL RAIN. THE

DRYNESS OF THE ANTECEDENT AIRMASS TODAY AND THE FACT THAT THE PARENT

HIGH WILL STILL BE SOMEWHAT FAVORABLY POSITIONED OVER NEW ENGLAND AT

12Z TUESDAY IS A LITTLE CONCERNING...BUT THIS POINT WE DO NOT EXPECT

ANY IMPACTS.

Would be funny if we get something big when it wasn't ecpected.

Not gonna see 50 today.

Expect Beech and Sugar to pick up 36 inches + between now and March 10. 2 week NWSF event about to unfold.

O yea! Ive been looking at the med and long range and it never wants to stop with moisture against the TN line with several bouts of moisture swinging through, one Fri and one Sat night. My good ol friend up in Newland may see some serious pow pow as the 850's are very cold, keeping ratios a bit high. Looking fwd to seeing this setup unfold.

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
930 AM UPDATE...HIGH TEMPS HAVE BEEN LOWERED A FEW DEGREES. CAD
WEDGE AND THICK CIRRUS DECK HAVE KEPT TEMPS COOLER THAN PREV FCST SO
FAR TODAY. LATEST AVBL MOS GUIDANCE AS WELL AS RAW MODEL TEMPS KEPT
PRACTICALLY ALL OF THE CWA IN THE 40S THROUGH THE DAY
. FEEL THIS IS
APPROPRIATE. AS FOR PRECIP...LATEST RAP INDICATES A WAVE OF PRECIP
EARLY THIS AFTN THEN A LULL BEFORE WARM FRONTAL PRECIP TONIGHT.
DISCOUNTING THIS AS MODEL CONSENSUS IS FOR STEADILY INCREASING LLVL
ISENTROPIC FORCING FROM AFTN INTO EVENING...THUS OUR STEADILY
INCREASING POPS LOOK GOOD.

06Z GFS was quite chilly for Tuesday AM too.  GSP is forecasting a high of 50 with filtered sunshine this morning.  I'm currently sitting at 35 with a solid cloud cover.  I don't think I'll see the sun at all today based on current satellite images.  Thus, I'm wondering how much above 40 I'll actually make it today IMBY.  This could make it easier to wet-bulb down to freezing overnight with the precip arriving.  Currently, there is absolutely no mention at all of freezing precip in GSP's disco except for the mountain counties of Avery, Mitchell, etc.

hnrY7MP.png

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

930 AM UPDATE...HIGH TEMPS HAVE BEEN LOWERED A FEW DEGREES. CAD

WEDGE AND THICK CIRRUS DECK HAVE KEPT TEMPS COOLER THAN PREV FCST SO

FAR TODAY. LATEST AVBL MOS GUIDANCE AS WELL AS RAW MODEL TEMPS KEPT

PRACTICALLY ALL OF THE CWA IN THE 40S THROUGH THE DAY. FEEL THIS IS

APPROPRIATE. AS FOR PRECIP...LATEST RAP INDICATES A WAVE OF PRECIP

EARLY THIS AFTN THEN A LULL BEFORE WARM FRONTAL PRECIP TONIGHT.

DISCOUNTING THIS AS MODEL CONSENSUS IS FOR STEADILY INCREASING LLVL

ISENTROPIC FORCING FROM AFTN INTO EVENING...THUS OUR STEADILY

INCREASING POPS LOOK GOOD.

Nice find, Don!  My high has been lowered to 46 now.  I'm not at home to check MBY temp, but AmWx is saying it's 38 right now under sunny skies.  Trust me, there's no sun visible.  I think 46 will still be a reach, but I'm not sure.  I'd put the number closer to 42 or 43 for the day.

I am growing more concerned for possible significant freezing rain in the mountains tonight and overnight.  The recent 12Z suite of the NAM and GFS suddenly got together with absolutely astounding agreement.  Based on the sounding data/graphs, and the fact that both GFS and NAM soundings look identical, I think *warning* criteria ice accumulations are possible from Asheville to Boone.  I am not sure why this isn't being discussed more in this thread, perhaps it's due to the uncertainty.  But, I want to point out that with good model agreement on timing, amounts, and now p-type, all with less than 15 hours until the start of the event, we need to watch this very closely.

Tough call for GSP...but better to over-forecast than under in this situation.  Right?

Foothills says real bad in that are.  NWS missed big time he said with this one

I agree!

Looks like a very interesting situation setting up tonight, AVL-TNB.   As I mentioned above, it looks like WARNING criteria ice accumulations in this corridor.  Right now, there isn't much more than a few advisories out, and it's only for Boone northward.  Maybe I am missing something, but when the GFS and NAM come together (which hasn't really happened here this winter), it's time to start wondering what they are latching onto.  This could catch A LOT of people off guard if any ice were to verify where only rain is currently forecast...

Archived