• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wintry mix event 2/21 - 2/22

Brick Tamland

Will go ahead and post my thoughts. 0z it too late to throw out my map.

Purple: Warning criteria ice...some sleet/snow accumulations possible but within advisory range. Up to two inches of snow/sleet. .2 to .4 ice or greater. Damaging ice possible along the immediate NC/VA border.

Red: Warning criteria ice...some sleet accumulations possible but within advisory range.....up to one inch of sleet/snow  .25 ice.

Orange: Advisory criteria ice....some minor sleet/snow accumulations but not within advisory range. Dusting to half inch snow/sleet. glaze to .1 ice.

Pink: Mixing...mixing to disturb totals to not qualify for anything more than a freezing rain advisory. Light glaze possible. 

Green: Rain possibly some sleet initially to start. 

535550_413349365424730_1805666006_n.jpg

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clear skies did the trick down east. Clouds will roll in soon but northern coastal plain in 30s already. Plus the HP is doing a nosing configuration and you can see surface wind direction coming out of VA and northeastern NC. The air temps and DP's in this area will creep there way over the triad and up against the apps In Damming fashion tonight. This won't get us to freezing but should open the door to wet bulb the first few hours precip starts. Minor event but its better than sitting here looking off 10 days out for something to chase. Maybe the wife and kids can sleep Ina couple hours tomorrow.

Clear skies did the trick down east. Clouds will roll in soon but northern coastal plain in 30s already. Plus the HP is doing a nosing configuration and you can see surface wind direction coming out of VA and northeastern NC. The air temps and DP's in this area will creep there way over the triad and up against the apps In Damming fashion tonight. This won't get us to freezing but should open the door to wet bulb the first few hours precip starts. Minor event but its better than sitting here looking off 10 days out for something to chase. Maybe the wife and kids can sleep Ina couple hours tomorrow.

I'll be surprised if we get anything other than a cold rain. Cloud cover we had move in today are gonna make low temps bust on the higher side.

I'll be surprised if we get anything other than a cold rain. Cloud cover we had move in today are gonna make low temps bust on the higher side.

No doubt every degree we could have knocked off would help. Looks like we are gonna have to root for some top down cooling before moisture dries up in the dendrite growth area tonight. Getting snow nd or sleet to reach the surface is the key, then it's a question of rates being heavy enough for it to accumulate. If we did get any freezing rain after 5 a.m. It would be self limiting and very brief since freezing rain lets off latent heat. The good news is no one is gonna be disappointed in this minor event if it bust. I haven't been expecting much, just following along for kicks. Late next week into the following is another story, best chance pattern wise we've had to cash in , in over 2 years even giving the fact is almost March.

Smooth sailing on I-40 from Hickory to Durham currently.  I drove in tonight for a meeting tomorrow morning.  I didn't want to chance the potentially bad conditions on the roads.  I'm going to be upset if we get a decent little event back home and I had to miss it because of work.  Oh well.

I asked my wife to take pictures if we get anything decent at the house, and she just stared at me before saying, "I'm not running in and out the door after dark looking up at the sky and the ground when it's cold outside!"  Needless to say, you can figure out my usual behavior during these types of events!  :lmao:

This was Blacksburg at 4pm:For precipitation amounts...stuck with the more conservative European model (ecmwf) and earlier GFS model estimates. 12z GFS indicated a surge of heavier precipitation entering the North Carolina mountains and the mountain Empire by around midnight...however feel that is overdone.Here is the current radar...guess we will find out 4 hours from now. 

574509_413384222087911_1148747787_n.jpg

Northern Mtn people looking good:

AS OF 645 PM...THE 18Z MODELS HAVE ALL COME IN WETTER ON THE QPF OVERNIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. PROFILES ALSO APPEAR A BIT MORE LOCKED INTO THE SLEET THEN FREEZING RAIN RANGE ACROSS THE NRN TIER FOR LATE TONIGHT INTO FRI. THE SREF MEAN PRECIP AND WINTRY PRECIP ACCUM VALUES HAVE TRENDED UP AS WELL THROUGH THE DAY. WILL TAKE A QUICK LOOK AT THE 21Z SREF PLUMES AND LATEST INCOMING NEAR TERM GUIDANCE SHORTLY...BUT A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW/SLEET/FREEZING RAIN COULD WELL BE NEEDED FOR THE OVERNIGHT HOURS INTO FRIDAY MORNING ACROSS THE NRN NC MTNS.

49. This is a non starter. Dont know who wsfcs "consulted" with on their forecast, but my kid aint making this one up over spring break. No way we wetbulb down to 32. And no way anything sticks with light precip and marginal temps. My kids were sunbathing on the driveway this afternoon!

GSO is down to 45/17.  Kernersville must be in an oven. ;)

Still, the wet bulb is still only 35.2F, so we have a ways to go.

WINTER STORM WARNINGS FIRED NORTHERN MOUNTAINS OF NWS GREENVILLE VIEWING AREA

* Locations... Avery... Mitchell... and Yancey counties... as well as
mountain portions of Caldwell... Burke... and McDowell counties in
the northern mountains of North Carolina.

* Accumulations... snow and sleet accumulations of 1 to 2
inches... topped by one tenth to one quarter inch of ice from
freezing rain.

Archived