joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wintry mix event 2/21 - 2/22

Brick Tamland

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My eyes may be deceiving me, but it looks like some mostly-melted snowflakes are mixing in now.  Can anyone else in the Triad confirm this?

thanks! I was just getting ready to turn In And checked the board from cell. Took peek outside And looks like we're just ready to change over. Very fat rain drops are slowing down as they fall. 4 miles North of Kville in Pine Knolls.

I am worried if you are south of the Brushy Mountains of Wilkes County you may get the screw.

Hopefully not, I know Asheville deserves a white ground. But don't see it happening this time unfortunately. I do see however the dew-point is actually falling there...it is now down to 36 and I would expect it to continue to drop with more precip coming and it being only 1:30. But feel this would likely be more ice there over snow/sleet accumulations. Hope I am wrong on that but good-luck. 

All snow...and I know the differences between snow intensity. This appears to be moderate steady snow with moderate to big fat flakes. 

:snowwindow:

Dew-point down to 31. I could see Wilkes/Surry hitting 29-32 degrees by 6am. 

More heavy bands are headed this way. It appears that the lightning/thunder dies out before getting here but it is getting awfully close compared to recently. 

now 37 over 28 ... sleet with quarter dollar sized flakes mixing in (thanks Frosty!!) ...

flower pots turning white

nice radar returns over metro Triad

I've got a few flakes still mixing in here, too.  The sleet is coming down really nicely, though with temperatures in the upper 30s, there isn't any sticking going on except on some elevated surfaces and the ice pellets are piling up on some roof crevices.

In any case, if we can keep this precip rate up, perhaps we can slip down near freezing and changeover to snow.  I can dream, yes? :)

EDIT: I'm not sure if you can say sleet "sticks," but whatever.  :violin:

More snow is trying to mix in now, though sleet is still the dominant precipitation type.  I'll give this a little longer to see if we can get a full changeover to snow before calling it a night.  I don't really have a lot of interest in watching a sleet storm (and missing sleep), but I may watch some snow for a bit.

We've got a solid dusting (of pellets) on the mulch now.

I don't buy the question mark area when Asheville is reporting rain. Radar is falsely showing no precip but hence the constant buildup of moderate to heavy snow development 1-2 counties south-west of Wilkes.

my take is ... #1 AVL airport is ~15-20 miles south of the city proper ... #2 the higher mountains north, west, and east of the city of Asheville (not airport) cause the city itself to be in a radar shadow ... if that makes sense ...

More snow is trying to mix in now, though sleet is still the dominant precipitation type.  I'll give this a little longer to see if we can get a full changeover to snow before calling it a night.  I don't really have a lot of interest in watching a sleet storm (and missing sleep), but I may watch some snow for a bit.

ill stay up to watch a sleet storm over frz rain storm anyday lol ...

34 over 30 now ... and light snow ... absolutely beautiful

Archived