joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wintry mix event 2/21 - 2/22

Brick Tamland

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know how the EURO looked for this event?  Did it trend colder and wetter like the GFS or go the other way like the NAM?

Wouldn't put too much emphasis on the Euro at this timeframe brother. RAP and SREF from here on out. Unfortunately don't have any info on the Euro tho.

From Raleigh NWS:

.AVIATION /18Z THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...AS OF 1245 PM THURSDAY...EXPECT EXTENDED STRETCHES OF ADVERSE AVIATION WEATHER THISPERIOD.VFR CONDITIONS CURRENTLY ACROSS THE REGION SHOULD REIGN THROUGHABOUT 9-10 PM. AFTER 10 PM...EXPECT CONDITIONS TO DETERIORATE WITHCEILINGS LOWERING INTO THE IFR/LOW END MVFR RANGE BY 4-6 AM WITHAREAS OF WINTRY PRECIP DEVELOPING IN VICINITY OF KRDU/KINT/KGSOBETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 4 AM. EXPECT PRECIP TO START OUT AS SNOW/SLEETMIX TRANSITIONING TO MAINLY FREEZING RAIN MIXED AT TIMES WITH SLEETBY DAYBREAK. EXPECT FREEZING RAIN TO GRADUALLY BECOME RAIN...ESPECIALLY AFTER 10 AM. EXPECTING A LIGHT ICE ACCRUAL (LESS THAN ATENTH OF AN INCH) ON MOST EXPOSED SURFACES WITH A POSSIBLE LIGHTSNOW/SLEET ACCUMULATION IN THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT...MOST LIKELY NEARKGSO/KINT. LOW CEILINGS AND RESTRICTED VISIBILITY WILL PERSISTTHROUGH FRIDAY DUE TO PATCHES OF LIGHT RAIN/DRIZZLE.

Ever since the ice storm in Dec 02 I have watched these ice events closely. That one wasn't supposed to do much and then I woke up with no power and a tree branch on the hood of my car because of ice. The amount of precip and timing could make a big difference.

If you went to bed thinking that wasn't going to do much, then you must not be very good at following weather.

We've gotten much warmer today than anticipated so maybe we'll have trouble cooling overnight.

I love wintry precip if it is snow/sleet but freezing rain is no fun.  I also had auto damage in that 02 storm, and house damage and lost food, pets (fish) and a week without power.

We've gotten much warmer today than anticipated so maybe we'll have trouble cooling overnight.

I love wintry precip if it is snow/sleet but freezing rain is no fun.  I also had auto damage in that 02 storm, and house damage and lost food, pets (fish) and a week without power.

Yes it has gotten rather warm today! :axe:  I'm currently 57/17 hope the clouds hold off until midnight?

When do you think RAH will do their update?  >>> They hinted at a WWA.   They've got to be putting everything together right now, eh?

I am sure they are baffled, the 12z and 18z runs of 12km NAM has no precip for central NC.   Where the 12z GFS has 0.4" of all frozen.  

Well, the 18z NAM looks to be colder than the 12z run. However, the precip field is worlds apart from the 12z GFS.  It's pretty laughable at the differences considering this is less than 24 hours out that we are talking about.  In fact, if you compare the 6hr NAM to the 12hr GFS the models are keying on different areas with the heaviest precip.  The Nam put more precip into Illinois and Western Tennesse, while the GFS has max precip over Louisiana and Alabama.  By looking at the radar, I think the NAM looks to verify better although it does seem a little slow.

Archived