Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 24th threat. Signal has been there for a while now

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin's always a day early on these setups.....lol. I remember the 3/1/09 setup having the same argument...

We could get weenie snow from the dying initial shortwave in a good 12-18 hours before the main precip shield. But the main event as modeled needs to come from the second piece of energy...we could still have ptype issues in this, but the block is giving us some margin.

Looks like rain down here for right now verbatim, but plenty of time for this to change, and the 12z GFS wasn’t far from an absolute bomb for down here, probably had rain changing over to about 6” of wet, heavy snow. EURO was warmer and all rain for here, correct? Still plenty of time for this to trend, 72 hours before the blizzard it was only 6-10” here after rain all day, and look where it ended up. Would rather be 50 miles north for this, but still think it has a decent chance at bringing accumulating snow here.

-skisheep

Looks like rain down here for right now verbatim, but plenty of time for this to change, and the 12z GFS wasn’t far from an absolute bomb for down here, probably had rain changing over to about 6” of wet, heavy snow. EURO was warmer and all rain for here, correct? Still plenty of time for this to trend, 72 hours before the blizzard it was only 6-10” here after rain all day, and look where it ended up. Would rather be 50 miles north for this, but still think it has a decent chance at bringing accumulating snow here.

-skisheep

Euro prob changed it to snow at the end there...the whole thing was a bit suppressed though, not a ton of qpf....the ensembles were a bit more amped.

In model land this is looking good but in model land 120 hours is an eternity. Get inside 72 and we will know.

Yes I agree...though this threat has more wiggle room than many others given the block and the ensemble support is quite robust for 5 days out...still doing a bit of a squeeze play, but there's a legit shot here.

I can't believe how different it looks, lol. After a lot of models have bene pretty consistent for a few runs now. Still a ways out so not shocking, but it looks pretty weird at H5...awfully slow getting out of the SW US, not sure it will play out like that.

I can't believe how different it looks, lol. After a lot of models have bene pretty consistent for a few runs now. Still a ways out so not shocking, but it looks pretty weird at H5...awfully slow getting out of the SW US, not sure it will play out like that.

That's almost like something the euro would do with it struggling out of the SW.

That's almost like something the euro would do with it struggling out of the SW.

Yeah it just takes forever to get out of the southwest...and its not like its cutoff. I guess we'll see how the other globals handle it. Could just be a kooky run of the OP GFS. Look at how close it still is to a good event though even with the massive difference. That's def what I mean by having a bit of a margin on this one. Not a huge margin, but it doesn't have to be perfect.

Archived