Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats what the text data has... not sure where someone got the .5" line going through harrisburg from if that is what you are referring to

There is a discrepency between the storm vista precip maps and the accuweather text output.  They are more then just a little off... for instance SV has me well into the .75-1.0" qpf but the txt has me at only .60.  Not HUGE but still enough to make a difference on the edges.  No idea why or which is correct. 

There is a discrepency between the storm vista precip maps and the accuweather text output.  They are more then just a little off... for instance SV has me well into the .75-1.0" qpf but the txt has me at only .60.  Not HUGE but still enough to make a difference on the edges.  No idea why or which is correct. 

Text output is correct. I'm guessing the SV maps are smoothed or lower-res.

thanks... that is interesting I rarely ever use the storm vista maps so I have never noticed if a difference before

Ohhh so close to us here in Centre:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA 239 PM EST MON MAR 4 2013 PAZ024>026-036-063>066-050545- /O.NEW.KCTP.WS.A.0005.130305T2300Z-130306T2300Z/ CAMBRIA-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-FRANKLIN-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JOHNSTOWN...ALTOONA...HUNTINGDON... MOUNT UNION...CHAMBERSBURG...CARLISLE...GETTYSBURG...YORK... LANCASTER 239 PM EST MON MAR 4 2013 ...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. * LOCATIONS...SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA. * HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW. * ACCUMULATIONS...6 INCHES OR MORE POSSIBLE. * TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN AROUND SUNSET TUESDAY EVENING AND CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. * IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL IS POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE. STRONG EAST WINDS COULD ALSO CREATE BLOWING SNOW AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES. * WINDS...EAST AT 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILS CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT...WEATHER.GOV/STATECOLLEGE. && $$ DANGELO/RXR

thanks... that is interesting I rarely ever use the storm vista maps so I have never noticed if a difference before

I use Accupro for my Euro stuff, their total precip map runs the .5" line on a SE line from Slippery Rock to over my head (just north of Altoona) to Gettysburg before straightening and running just barely north of the Mason Dixon and then into Philly. .75" line runs from just south of Pit to JST and then jumps southeast across the border to Hagerstown. 0.25" line runs from NW PA to UNV to MDT to around LNS and then curves back ENE to Allentown. So Euro still has that pronounced hole in eastern PA but it did manage to throw snow back into New England.. so I'm not sure about it "staying south" in that regard. 

Ohhh so close to us here in Centre:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA 239 PM EST MON MAR 4 2013 PAZ024>026-036-063>066-050545- /O.NEW.KCTP.WS.A.0005.130305T2300Z-130306T2300Z/ CAMBRIA-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-FRANKLIN-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JOHNSTOWN...ALTOONA...HUNTINGDON... MOUNT UNION...CHAMBERSBURG...CARLISLE...GETTYSBURG...YORK... LANCASTER 239 PM EST MON MAR 4 2013 ...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. * LOCATIONS...SOUTH CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA. * HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW. * ACCUMULATIONS...6 INCHES OR MORE POSSIBLE. * TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN AROUND SUNSET TUESDAY EVENING AND CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. * IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL IS POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE. STRONG EAST WINDS COULD ALSO CREATE BLOWING SNOW AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES. * WINDS...EAST AT 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILS CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT...WEATHER.GOV/STATECOLLEGE. && $$ DANGELO/RXR

It'll suck for us here in the extreme Cumberland/Dauphin/York triangle who could drive 20 miles south, east or west and see 6" more inches than what we'll end up with, huh.

New SREFs, bitches:

Not too shabby. Brings .5 just about to here. 

Best snow probs have zeroed in on the southern third to half of PA with the probable WSW worthy stuff being about where CTP has them right now. They're also starting to show that turn towards Philly/northern NJ/NYC and New England as well.

Best snow probs have zeroed in on the southern third to half of PA with the probable WSW worthy stuff being about where CTP has them right now. They're also starting to show that turn towards Philly/northern NJ/NYC and New England as well.

Awesome. :axe: Nothing like getting fringed while the 95 corridor gets another big one.

as the hours tick by, i'm getting amped up now....... Just dropped a watch for Cumberland County too, probably for the Western end of the county.

this is the first winter storm watch since october 2011 correct? isnt that what we discussed a few weeks ago about how long it has been?

Awesome. :axe: Nothing like getting fringed while the 95 corridor gets another big one.

I wouldn't say it'd be a big one for that corridor, just that the the probs are pretty high for some accumulating snow (good probs of 1"+) some modest probs of 4+". Oh and since it's spring break i'm assuming your back home for this haha. 

Hour 48:

post-1507-0-48790600-1362428246_thumb.gi

Hour 69:

post-1507-0-05621800-1362428254_thumb.gi

Which game are you taking Sauss to? 

Ruh-roh.

So what's the official criteria for "wrong"?  :snowing:  :pepsi:

I'm a man of my word. I'll treat anyone to beers at a Senators game this summer.

Edit: If this happens. I'm not counting any inches until I walk through them though. Reverse psychology to the max.

I'm a man of my word. I'll treat anyone to beers at a Senators game this summer.

Edit: If this happens. I'm not counting any inches until I walk through them though. Reverse psychology to the max.

Good call, man. Until it happens it's just pretty colors on the computer screen. 

Could argue for a bit more northern extent of precip out of the NAM given that it pops the coastal low in SE VA and runs the deepening low over the Delmarva. Even with the flat trajectory that should be a pretty good look for at least I-80 south. 

Archived