Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hour 24: Maintaining that 25 mile west shift in the northern plains. Blocking is now stronger (barely) and ULL over Nova Scotia is weaker, but has slightly better vort-lobes around it.

Vorticity is rounding the base now of the main piece of energy in the N plains. If I had to make a guess now for how it plays out -- I would say close to what 06z had.

Hour 24: Maintaining that 25 mile west shift in the northern plains. Blocking is now stronger (barely) and ULL over Nova Scotia is weaker, but has slightly better vort-lobes around it.

Vorticity is rounding the base now of the main piece of energy in the N plains. If I had to make a guess now for how it plays out -- I would say close to what 06z had.

yep looks very close to 6z through 48hr

Noticeable differences at hour 51. Slightly more negatively tilted, orientation of the h5 low is more oblong (N-S direction) and gets farther north. Lagging energy that brought the low back NE in previous runs looks to be in a better spot for an even more N pull. 

At the surface, it looks the same, but slightly less juicy. 

There was a substantial difference in the orientation of the ULL as it rounded the ridge. In previous runs of the GFS, it had been getting more and more negatively tilted, and here it was the most neg tilt I've seen yet from this system. And the leftover troughiness/vorticity from back in the N plains & New York yanked this baby north and up the coast. 

Also hearing that the UKMET is starting to reflect this as well. 

Not sure why you added my comment Jamie, but this is just a hobby for me sure I love snow but it is what it is and we can't control Mother Nature. If this ends up south I could drive to it if I wanted to....work stresses me out, this is just fun for me.

Did because I thought you were agreeing with me. 

Ok let me clear this up, as a weather hobbyist it is fun when you get weather that is interesting. Do we all just fall to pieces when a storm doesnt go our way? No. We move on with our day. This is the only place we have to voice our displeasure when a storm misses us without looking insane. And admit it, most of us are at work sneaking a look at the models hoping against hope for an unlikely bump north haha.

All true except one thing - I am unconvinced others in other subforums don't just move on with our day. Man, some of them go ape. 

Isn't the negative tilt that GFS and Euro showed on Friday (much more extreme than what is shown currently), a plausible scenario that the models are moving towards. Maybe not the extreme from Friday but perhaps more then what is currently being shown. Being in the Lancaster snow hole this year, this would be a nice wrap up before Spring starts full tilt. Come on snow move north! :snowing:

Any matt welcome, enjoy both of your input

I think it's plausible, but keep in mind it's still an outlier at this point in time. It was the first model to suggest that some backend troughiness/vorticity would help capture and pull the ULL north and up the coast (I think it was yesterday AM it showed this first). 

One thing that is impressive for this, is that many of the GFS ensemble members have been in great agreement with a northward pull. It's not just GFS OP. So it's either a major failure of the GFS and its ensembles (I find it hard to believe with good agreement from the members), or a miss by the Euro. The one thing for sure is that the Euro does not have ANY interaction near the east coast with the ULL over Nova Scotia and thus it never pulls north. 

I can't remember the last time I saw this much disagreement with the globals with this amount of time left. If the GFS is right, warning level snows south of the PA turnpike and heavy snow up the 95 corridor into Boston. If the Euro is right, we see barely anything south of the TP and Boston stays high and dry. 

I imagine there are millions of dollars in eastern seaboard Dept. of Transportation decisions up in the air right now, and if the GFS is right, there won't be much time to implement plans

I think it's plausible, but keep in mind it's still an outlier at this point in time. It was the first model to suggest that some backend troughiness/vorticity would help capture and pull the ULL north and up the coast (I think it was yesterday AM it showed this first). 

One thing that is impressive for this, is that many of the GFS ensemble members have been in great agreement with a northward pull. It's not just GFS OP. So it's either a major failure of the GFS and its ensembles (I find it hard to believe with good agreement from the members), or a miss by the Euro. The one thing for sure is that the Euro does not have ANY interaction near the east coast with the ULL over Nova Scotia and thus it never pulls north. 

I can't remember the last time I saw this much disagreement with the globals with this amount of time left. If the GFS is right, warning level snows south of the PA turnpike and heavy snow up the 95 corridor into Boston. If the Euro is right, we see barely anything south of the TP and Boston stays high and dry. 

I imagine there are millions of dollars in eastern seaboard Dept. of Transportation decisions up in the air right now, and if the GFS is right, there won't be much time to implement plans

Brother, i wouldn't wanna be you today/tomorrow and trying to give notice..wow

Archived