Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the 12z NAM is coming in with more precip, at least in the bulls eye.

yea it looks wetter and a little stronger... quite a hit for DC area at hr54 lol...again it looks to be turning north once it gets to the coast... fantasy solution would be for it to slow down and slowly turn north near the coast... one can dream right? lol

What's the timing of this? originaly i thought Tuesday late into Wednesday, now it looks like it starts Wednesday Morning and snows through the day?

Also, i'm not sure us in the Harrisburg area have reached the their projected high temps in the last couple days.

Per the 12z NAM we are out of it, further south along the Mason Dixon Line is where the main action. BWI and DC it is quite a hit. 

It's actually quite funny how close it is to being a hit for SC PA. A 50 miles jog to the north would have HUGE forecast implications for us. 50 miles in weather terms is like a "step" on a human frame of reference. If this thing "steps" to the north (which at 36 hours, it might), then we may see something out of nothing.

Then there's the corollary - that it could step 50 miles south and we hardly see anything!

Shoot me then lol, I love the stuff. Btw cleared out and sun feels great today.

no sun here yet, its 26 but feels like 22

yep I am with you. But this model run of the NAM is just a slap in the face for us. 45 minutes to an hour down I-83 and it is heavy snow.

by next run, we will be in the mix again, isn't that how it works? push away, pull back in!

Shoot me then lol, I love the stuff. Btw cleared out and sun feels great today.

+1!

I convinced myself last week this isn't our storm, so these close calls aren't bothering me one iota. It's the way to go IMO.

you're on your A game already this morning!

yep I am with you. But this model run of the NAM is just a slap in the face for us. 45 minutes to an hour down I-83 and it is heavy snow.

I'm just saying I don't understand having a hobby that stresses you out that much. If we get it, great. If not, no big deal.

I don't think with this storm anything can be counted out right now. 

As for us up in true central PA, looking around at some of the posts, this isn't going to be our last shot at a snowstorm. 

It's actually quite funny how close it is to being a hit for SC PA. A 50 miles jog to the north would have HUGE forecast implications for us. 50 miles in weather terms is like a "step" on a human frame of reference. If this thing "steps" to the north (which at 36 hours, it might), then we may see something out of nothing.

Then there's the corollary - that it could step 50 miles south and we hardly see anything!

It is unreal. definitely love to have blocking to force storms south but in this case just a little too far south per the NAM. This is definitely when I don't want to be you and have to forecast this stuff. We could have nothing to over a foot of snow on the ground with just a slight jog to the north.

I'm just saying I don't understand having a hobby that stresses you out that much. If we get it, great. If not, no big deal.

I don't think with this storm anything can be counted out right now. 

As for us up in true central PA, looking around at some of the posts, this isn't going to be our last shot at a snowstorm. 

Not sure why you added my comment Jamie, but this is just a hobby for me sure I love snow but it is what it is and we can't control Mother Nature. If this ends up south I could drive to it if I wanted to....work stresses me out, this is just fun for me.

Ok let me clear this up, as a weather hobbyist it is fun when you get weather that is interesting. Do we all just fall to pieces when a storm doesnt go our way? No. We move on with our day. This is the only place we have to voice our displeasure when a storm misses us without looking insane. And admit it, most of us are at work sneaking a look at the models hoping against hope for an unlikely bump north haha.

Ok let me clear this up, as a weather hobbyist it is fun when you get weather that is interesting. Do we all just fall to pieces when a storm doesnt go our way? No. We move on with our day. This is the only place we have to voice our displeasure when a storm misses us without looking insane. And admit it, most of us are at work sneaking a look at the models hoping against hope for an unlikely bump north haha.

Really, i usually kick the dog!

I'm just kidding, sorry PETA...

Wednesday could be interesting for my sister law flying in to HIA. the storm could really impact flights.

You seem to live and die by the model outputs :). anyway, I am a deep south boy who love to see snow. I guess it goes back to when I was about 9 and we had a snow storm close schools that day. I thougt it was the best of both worlds. lots of snow and no school. Since now I work/teach at a college, I also look forward to massive snows and closed schools.

Really, i usually kick the dog!

I'm just kidding, sorry PETA...

Wednesday could be interesting for my sister law flying in to HIA. the storm could really impact flights.

where is she flying from? winds above the surface near heart of the storm are crazy strong... they may not verify blizzard but there should be some really strong gusts with the low visibilities where the best banding hits

Archived