joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little more optimistic than you about this one. We may not jackpot (that is of course always reserved for interior SE MA or CT), but I think we'll end up doing OK. Maybe I'm just trying to cheer myself up after last night's unmitigated disaster.

We seldom jackpot anyways, We just need some cover

Correct.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/profile/froude/

Eastern Slopes want 1-2. Western slopes cash in between 0.5-1.0 .If it gets too low, like down to near 0.25, the Champlain Valley takes home the prize.

With the Froude Number coming into more and more use for these upslope events, and the ability to monitor it via that cool Mountain Mesonet Profile web page for the Bolton-Mansfield section of the Northern Greens, I’ll have to start paying attention to what numbers are optimal in my area.  Being basically in line with the spine, something in the range of 1 wouldn’t surprise me, but we’re also in the Winooski Valley, which is a big gap in the spine, so that would have to be factored in as well.

On a related note, over the past hour or so I’ve seen snow starting to crash out along part of the spine in the Northern Greens:

20FEB13A.gif

2.7" new. Nice. Going home this weekend to rain. Of course.

lol sweet.  it crapped out here and must've gotten much better for you after your downsloping post. 

1.8" here like jvt had.

No mountain measurements from me as its my day off and decided to sleep in.  I'll probably head up early tomorrow to check out and see what happened with the upslope.

We seldom jackpot anyways, We just need some cover

About once every two years at my place, at least for notable storms. Being top of the pile for a 2.5" event doesn't qualify. lol

Working backwards--

4/1/11, 2/22-23/09, 4/4-5/07, 2/10-11/05, 3/30-31/01, 3/15-16/99.

Hey! All but one of those is later than today's date - there may be hope.

Decent snow not that far away last night. 4.5" in Phillips, 20 miles NW of Farmington, and 7.2 in Phillips 3 WSW, probably 200-300' higher than in town, on the Weld Road.

With the Froude Number coming into more and more use for these upslope events, and the ability to monitor it via that cool Mountain Mesonet Profile web page for the Bolton-Mansfield section of the Northern Greens

Yes, very nice - but is there someplace online with forecast Froude numbers? At this writing it's showing Froude = only 0.045 but I don't think the NW flow has really gotten going yet. Trying to understand discrepancy between yesterday's KBTV AFD (with Froude forecast to be between 1-2) and implicitly smaller numbers now being forecast.

Without getting too fancy about it, I'm hoping for an upslope dump at MRG as my son and I have passes there ...

About once every two years at my place, at least for notable storms. Being top of the pile for a 2.5" event doesn't qualify. lol

Working backwards--

4/1/11, 2/22-23/09, 4/4-5/07, 2/10-11/05, 3/30-31/01, 3/15-16/99.

Hey! All but one of those is later than today's date - there may be hope.

Decent snow not that far away last night. 4.5" in Phillips, 20 miles NW of Farmington, and 7.2 in Phillips 3 WSW, probably 200-300' higher than in town, on the Weld Road.

I thinks i saw a flake or 2 on the backside of the departing low

Advisory out for upslope snow tonight and tomorrow...

Storm Total Snow Forecast
  The National Weather Service is conducting a test on simplifying some of the wording within our winter storm hazard messages, and would like your feedback. On this web page you can compare our current wording to a proposed alternative, learn more about the test and provide comments. Thank You!

To report any snowfall accumulations click here, or call (802)862-2475 and press the star (*) key.
StormTotalSnowFcst.png
Note: The map above represents the expected average accumulation. Some locations will receive less snow, while others will receive more.

WWUS41 KBTV 201655WSWBTVURGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT1155 AM EST WED FEB 20 2013VTZ003-006-008-016>018-210300-/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0004.130220T1655Z-130221T2100Z/ORLEANS-LAMOILLE-WASHINGTON-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...JOHNSON...STOWE...MONTPELIER...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON1155 AM EST WED FEB 20 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST THURSDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM ESTTHURSDAY.* LOCATIONS...THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS TO INCLUDE  THE WESTERN PORTIONS OF ORLEANS...LAMOILLE AND WASHINGTON COUNTIES.* HAZARD TYPES...MODERATE TO OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW WITH LOCALLY HIGHER  ACCUMULATIONS.* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY TODAY  INTO THURSDAY MORNING.* TIMING...MODERATE TO OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW WILL DEVELOP ACROSS  THE ADVISORY AREA TODAY AND CONTINUE TONIGHT BEFORE GRADUALLY  TAPERING OFF THURSDAY AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS AND REDUCED  VISIBILITIES.* WINDS...WEST TO NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S. LOWS 10 TO 15.* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES IN MODERATE TO  OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILLCAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS ANDLIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...ORGO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THISWEATHER SITUATION.

Advisory out for upslope snow tonight and tomorrow...

Storm Total Snow Forecast

The National Weather Service is conducting a test on simplifying some of the wording within our winter storm hazard messages, and would like your feedback. On this web page you can compare our current wording to a proposed alternative, learn more about the test and provide comments. Thank You!

To report any snowfall accumulations click here, or call (802)862-2475 and press the star (*) key.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Note: The map above represents the expected average accumulation. Some locations will receive less snow, while others will receive more.

WWUS41 KBTV 201655WSWBTVURGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT1155 AM EST WED FEB 20 2013VTZ003-006-008-016>018-210300-/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0004.130220T1655Z-130221T2100Z/ORLEANS-LAMOILLE-WASHINGTON-EASTERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CHITTENDEN-EASTERN ADDISON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...JOHNSON...STOWE...MONTPELIER...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON1155 AM EST WED FEB 20 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST THURSDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM ESTTHURSDAY.* LOCATIONS...THE WESTERN SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS TO INCLUDE  THE WESTERN PORTIONS OF ORLEANS...LAMOILLE AND WASHINGTON COUNTIES.* HAZARD TYPES...MODERATE TO OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW WITH LOCALLY HIGHER  ACCUMULATIONS.* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY TODAY  INTO THURSDAY MORNING.* TIMING...MODERATE TO OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW WILL DEVELOP ACROSS  THE ADVISORY AREA TODAY AND CONTINUE TONIGHT BEFORE GRADUALLY  TAPERING OFF THURSDAY AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS AND REDUCED  VISIBILITIES.* WINDS...WEST TO NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S. LOWS 10 TO 15.* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES IN MODERATE TO  OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILLCAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS ANDLIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...ORGO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THISWEATHER SITUATION.

Jay Peak looks to do well.

Yes, very nice - but is there someplace online with forecast Froude numbers? At this writing it's showing Froude = only 0.045 but I don't think the NW flow has really gotten going yet. Trying to understand discrepancy between yesterday's KBTV AFD (with Froude forecast to be between 1-2) and implicitly smaller numbers now being forecast.

Without getting too fancy about it, I'm hoping for an upslope dump at MRG as my son and I have passes there ...

They are 1-2 during the day today, falling off to 0.5-1.0 after midnight tonight and <0.5 tomorrow.

One thing to be careful of on the Mesonet page regarding the Froude Number is they will be incorrect when Mansfield's wind data is erroneous due to freeze-up.

I asked too in the other forum for us in CNE.  No one answered.  Dendrite said it looked "sweet' so I will take that as good.   A track near ACK to CHH is usually the best for us.  As long as the Euro holds that track we are good.  Hope the low does not trend weaker.

Anywhere from 1.50-2.00" for most

If that's what it takes, I will pesonally contact the VT State Colleges Chancellor and request your immediate expulsion. :P

Seriously though, are you forecasting for VTRANS for any of this?

I'm not, actually. But I'll be on top of it for personal plans. Still looks like NNE is on the edge, but better than 2/9.

I think I can somehow live with that.  Perfect timing to help the wintersports for next week NH vacation week.  Looks like C/NNE might be coming into a nice pattern.  Thanks Dryslot for the info!

Thanks, Yeah, I liked next weeks better then this one, But this one so far has trended favorably but we are still a ways out to start doing naked snow angels

I asked too in the other forum for us in CNE.  No one answered.  Dendrite said it looked "sweet' so I will take that as good.   A track near ACK to CHH is usually the best for us.  As long as the Euro holds that track we are good.  Hope the low does not trend weaker.

those guys are not too friendly to queries from outsiders (literally and figuratively).  annoying.

Archived