Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
WidreMann told us it was gonna snow thread

LithiaWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

remember, the GGEM shows QPF totals in 12 hour increments...so for some locations in NC that could be mostly rain. Of course, this all assuming the model is correct.

It seems to match closely with the GFS. GFS gives a little less than .25 qpf to RDU and the GGEM upwards of .29 qpf. Looks like most of the precip would fall as snow (from GFS).

000NOUS42 KNHC 132253REPRPDWEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTSCARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.0550 PM EST WED 13 FEBRUARY 2013SUBJECT: WINTER STORM PLAN OF THE DAY (WSPOD)         VALID 14/1100Z TO 15/1100Z FEBRUARY 2013         WSPOD NUMBER.....12-075 AMENDMENTI.  ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS    1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.    2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY.....NEGATIVE.II. PACIFIC REQUIREMENTS    1. FLIGHT ONE -- NOAA 49 CHANGED DESTINATION       A. P28/ DROP 10 (35.0N 150.0W)/ 15/0000Z       B  NOAA9 11WSC TRACK28M       C. 14/1930Z       D. 12 DROPS AS PUBLISHED ON TRACK THROUGH DROP 10          AND THEN DROPS AT 32.5N AND 30.0N ENROUTE PHNL       E. 41,000 TO 45,000 FT/ 15/0600Z    2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK:  CHANGED       P54/ DROP 8 (45.0N 166.0W)/ 16/00000Z    3. REMARK: THE NOAA G-IV WILL FLY TRACK P-9 TODAY AS       DETAILED IN WSPOD 12-074.$$JWP

NOUS42 KNHC 141652REPRPDWEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTSCARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.1145 AM EST THU 14 FEBRUARY 2013SUBJECT: WINTER STORM PLAN OF THE DAY (WSPOD)         VALID 15/1100Z TO 16/1100Z FEBRUARY 2013         WSPOD NUMBER.....12-076I.  ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS    1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.    2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY.....NEGATIVE.II. PACIFIC REQUIREMENTS    1. FLIGHT ONE -- NOAA 49       A. P54/ DROP 8 (45.0N 166.0W)/ 16/0000Z       B  NOAA9 12WSC TRACK54       C. 15/1930Z       D. 17 DROPS AS PUBLISHED ON TRACK       E. 41,000 TO 45,000 FT/ 16/0600Z    2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK.....NEGATIVE.    3. REMARK: THE NOAA G-IV WILL FLY MODIFIED TRACK P-28        TODAY AS DETAILED IN AMENDED WSPOD 12-075.$$SEF

If the NOAA didn't think this one had a chance to be significant for someone, why would they waste the time/money with recon flights over the last few days?  Just curious...

I will exmaine the models when I get home at 4 PM, but I like what I'm reading on here.

The fact is, it won't take much to turn this into another huge event for the NE...they probably care little about the SE and are simply doing this for the chance that the NE could get slammed. 

12Z suite more interesting, but first these are legit questions.

Have systems tended to trend better this year?  Seems like the NAM has been good at sniffing out systems before the GFS catches on.

Actually a couple systems have over-achieved this winter. Though extended systems have crapped out, short-range systems have done fine and/or surprised to the up side. Also NAM resolution mentioned above. Glass half full people!

What's the implication of the energy on the backside trending stronger?  Someone in the MA forum suggested it could all phase together.

Basically it contributes to a more negative tilt and greater lift. Moisture usually better too, as mentioned above, kind of going hand-in-hand with greater lift more efficient saturating the atmo.

OK, looks like ENC could pick up some snow showers or light snow. Little stronger and slightly more southwest short-wave in the Miss Valley (MEM jet-streak) contributing to slightly more neg tilt broad trough and a hair west of previous position. That counts in this situation. However I don’t see a surprise bomb in the cards.

Kissing jets are not in play for the South and it does not "phase." The MEM jet-streak and main jet stream on the Gulf Coast don't line up right. MEM right front and Gulf left rear, both sinking motion, interact over the South. For kissing jets you'd need the MEM left front and Gulf right rear, both rising motion, lining up. The rising motion does not line up to form kissing jets; therefore, model QPF is justifiably low.

It may be low, but it's still snow. Good luck and enjoy. Cheers!

12Z suite more interesting, but first these are legit questions.

Actually a couple systems have over-achieved this winter. Though extended systems have crapped out, short-range systems have done fine and/or surprised to the up side. Also NAM resolution mentioned above. Glass half full people!

Basically it contributes to a more negative tilt and greater lift. Moisture usually better too, as mentioned above, kind of going hand-in-hand with greater lift more efficient saturating the atmo.

OK, looks like ENC could pick up some snow showers or light snow. Little stronger and slightly more southwest short-wave in the Miss Valley (MEM jet-streak) contributing to slightly more neg tilt broad trough and a hair west of previous position. That counts in this situation. However I don’t see a surprise bomb in the cards.

Kissing jets are not in play for the South and it does not "phase." The MEM jet-streak and main jet stream on the Gulf Coast don't line up right. MEM right front and Gulf left rear, both sinking motion, interact over the South. For kissing jets you'd need the MEM left front and Gulf right rear, both rising motion, lining up. The rising motion does not line up to form kissing jets; therefore, model QPF is justifiably low.

It may be low, but it's still snow. Good luck and enjoy. Cheers!

1/17 certainly did not overperform for many. In fact for quite a few it was a bust (I'm still waiting for my 3-5").

Archived