• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
WidreMann told us it was gonna snow thread

LithiaWx

why is no one chiming in about this event for the 22 and 23.  after watching the clip it makes perfect sense to me for next week.

Because it's day 9 and just started showing up on the Euro (the setup)...everyone has been focused on this weekends event they aren't thinking pattern, also the GFS looks pretty bad for this period if I recall unless it has trended toward the Euro. You should post about it in the pattern disco thread to get everyone going.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because it's day 9 and just started showing up on the Euro (the setup)...everyone has been focused on this weekends event they aren't thinking pattern, also the GFS looks pretty bad for this period if I recall unless it has trended toward the Euro. You should post about it in the pattern disco thread to get everyone going.

Me and Burger were talking about it yesterday.  I think it was in the pinned Feb thread.  00z euro still shows it though I can't see the 168 hr panels on rw's site.  But yeah

TW

NOUS42 KWNO 141500
ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
1458Z THU FEB 14 2013

THE 12Z NCEP MODEL PRODUCTION IS RUNNING ON-TIME...

12Z RAOB RECAP..

70361/YAK - 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..
72645/GRB - 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..
91348/PNI - 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..
78866/SXM - 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..
76526/ZAC - TTAA NOT AVAILABLE..
78073/NAS - SHORT TO 645MB; 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..
72388/VEF - 10159; NOT AVAILABLE.. SHORT TO 746MB..
72274/TWC - NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE NAM; IN FOR THE GFS..
78988/CUR - PURGE TEMPS/HUMIDITY 841 TO 716MB SUPER ADIABATIC
             LAPSE RATE..

KCHS keeps mentioning the threat of some potential light snow showers, and possibly a Lake Moultrie Enhanced Snow Shower event for Charleston, Dorchester, and Berkeley Counties.   Very interesting tidbit 

SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT...THIS WILL BE THE MOST INTERESTING PARTOF THE SHORT TERM FORECAST...AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT THERE IS A REMOTECHANCE OF SOME WINTER PRECIP WITH THE PASSAGE OF AN ARCTIC COLDFRONT LATE SATURDAY INTO SATURDAY NIGHT.
AN AMPLIFIED LONG WAVE TROUGH WILL POSITION ITSELF OVER THE EASTERNSTATES LATE SATURDAY...WITH A STRONG SHORT WAVE EMBEDDED WITH THETROUGH TO IMPACT THE REGION...BEFORE BOTH FEATURES BEGIN TO LIFT OUTBY SUNDAY MORNING. MUCH OF SATURDAY IS RELATIVELY QUIET AS WE WAITFOR SIGNIFICANT HEIGHT FALLS AND STRONG PVA ALOFT TOP MOVE IN LATESATURDAY. THICKNESS IN THE 1000-850 MB LAYER SUPPORTS MAX TEMPSMAINLY IN THE MIDDLE 50S WITH MORNING SUNSHINE TO GIVE WAY TO ANINCREASE IN AFTERNOON CLOUDS. AS THE ARCTIC FRONT MOVES THROUGHAFTER 3-4 PM WE MIGHT OBTAIN A FEW RAIN SHOWERS...MAINLY OVER THECHARLESTON TRI-COUNTY AREA. THEN THE MAIN CONCERN IS IN REGARDSTO WHETHER OR NOT THE SHOWERS END OR DO THEY CHANGE OVER TO SOMESNOW OR FLURRIES. WE/RE STILL NOT CERTAIN HOW MUCH MOISTUREAVAILABILITY WILL BE REALIZED ONCE THE COLD AIR ARRIVES...BUT AS THECOLD CORE TROUGH MOVES IN DURING THE NIGHT IT WILL ALLOW FOR TEMPSTO PLUNGE AS STRONGER NW AND NORTH WINDS DEVELOP. OUR CONFIDENCE ATPRESENT IS THAT THE SHOWERS WILL COME TO AN END DURING THEEVENING...PRIOR TO THE COLDER AIR ARRIVING. HOWEVER...WITH THESTRONG DYNAMICS ALOFT AND ALSO STEEP LAPSE RATES TO DEVELOP ACROSSLAKE MOULTRIE WE ARE STILL NOT CONVINCED THAT SOME LIGHTSNOW...FLURRIES OR EVEN SNOW SHOWERS COULDN/T OCCUR OVERCHARLESTON...BERKELEY AND MAYBE DORCHESTER COUNTIES. THERE HAS BEENBETTER MODEL CONSISTENCY OF LATE IN THIS REGARD...SO THE SITUATIONWILL BEAR CLOSE SCRUTINY. EVEN IF NO WINTER WEATHER OCCURS...MINTEMPS SATURDAY NIGHT WILL BE AS COLD AS THE UPPER 20S AND LOWER 30S.

NOUS42 KWNO 141500

ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE

NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD

1458Z THU FEB 14 2013

THE 12Z NCEP MODEL PRODUCTION IS RUNNING ON-TIME...

12Z RAOB RECAP..

70361/YAK - 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..

72645/GRB - 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..

91348/PNI - 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..

78866/SXM - 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..

76526/ZAC - TTAA NOT AVAILABLE..

78073/NAS - SHORT TO 645MB; 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..

72388/VEF - 10159; NOT AVAILABLE.. SHORT TO 746MB..

72274/TWC - NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE NAM; IN FOR THE GFS..

78988/CUR - PURGE TEMPS/HUMIDITY 841 TO 716MB SUPER ADIABATIC

LAPSE RATE..

Meaning toss the 12z suite?

Sure is a lot of back and forth going on with this. I just read Alan Huffman's blog for today and he said it didn't look like anything but a little rain.

Well, that would be what you would take to Vegas. It's back and forth because we're not limited to anything on these forums. We do a lot of "what if", he doesn't. The storm hasn't been progged to bring snow in central NC for several runs now, so there's that.

Trough axis sliding west vs. 6z run, but I don't think this trend is going to be significant enough to save most of us, except for perhaps coastal areas.

This could be a big trend on this one. RDU probably gets 2 inches...just to our southeast they could be 2 inches as well @60. This will be a heartbreaker if it trends really good for eastern sections and leaves us high and dry. 

Archived