joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard of 2013 Forecast Discussion Part II

forkyfork

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GGEM is west of the 0z run.\Looks like a foot of snow is a good possibility. Nam,RGEM,GGEM,MM5 agree.

I think its clear the are from E-NJ into NYC will see total precip between 1 and 1.5 inches it'll come down to how much is lost to rain/mixing.   Snow pushing south as i type..

continue here. the ncep bashing got out of control in the other thread and will not be tolerated

Thank you, I agree. It is fine to acknowledge that every model has weaknesses and limitations (which they do), but to ignorantly bash something that they have 0 insight to how it actually works is stupid.

continue here. the ncep bashing got out of control in the other thread and will not be tolerated

Thank you.

IMO, one should not be taking one's frustration concerning the storm's outcome relative to one's expectations out on the GFS (or NCEP). That the GFS showed an unpopular solution for those hoping for a blockbuster snowstorm does not make it a bad model. Whether or not its solution verifies does not mean that what it showed was not a possibility. If one views things probabilistically, the GFS's scenario is certainly one possible outcome and it should be among the factors in shaping one's thinking, unless one has strong evidence for completely discounting it (rare).

Phasing is a complex process. Small details concerning the timing and extent of the phasing can have a large impact.

Having said that, let's hope that the storm proves a little more generous to the area once the CCB develops.

I love those turrets of convection exploding northeast of the low. Diabatic heat release FTW. 

I wouldn't mind being on a nice, sturdy ship on those waters right now. Or at Buoy 44009, which has been down since December, unfortunately. 

ACK is going to get wild tonight when the center passes nearby. 

Thank you.

IMO, one should not be taking one's frustration concerning the storm's outcome relative to one's expectations out on the GFS (or NCEP). That the GFS showed an unpopular solution for those hoping for a blockbuster snowstorm does not make it a bad model. Whether or not its solution verifies does not mean that what it showed was not a possibility. If one views things probabilistically, the GFS's scenario is certainly one possible outcome and it should be among the factors in shaping one's thinking, unless one has strong evidence for completely discounting it (rare).

Phasing is a complex process. Small details concerning the timing and extent of the phasing can have a large impact.

Having said that, let's hope that the storm proves a little more generous to the area once the CCB develops.

Don, one thing I've always noticed however with the GFS is that it tends to struggle with showing with precip fields/maxes.  Is that an issue with resolution?  Is it simply better to use in looking at things "synoptically"?

storms like Feb. 20th 1921 and March 2nd 1914 started as rain but finished as a blizzard...Both had over 2.5" of precipitation and a foot of snow...

storms do not need to be wall to wall snow to be biggies. In fact as you mentioned several of our 12+ snow events featured either rain to start or changeover to sleet

11:15 AM update from Mt. Holly.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
1115A: NEW GFS CHECKED AND IT CONCURS ON I78 NORTH MOSTLY SNOW IN
OUR AREA. THE WRAP AROUND IS STILL THERE BUT I THINK I`M GOING TO
TRIM AMTS 1-2 INCHES OVER MOST OF THE AREA...PENDING THE 3PM SNOW
DEPTHS AND RADAR PATTERN. LATEST RUC NOT SHOWING MUCH DRY SLOT ANY
MORE BUT CIRRUS SEEDING MAY QUIT FOR A FEW HRS LATE THIS AFTN BEFORE
THE WRAP AROUND TONIGHT. ITS GOING TO BE SLIPPERY TONIGHT OVER
MOST OF E PA AND N 3/4 OF NJ.

1030A: R/S LINE NOT BUDGING MUCH A SLIGHT NORTH
DRIFT TOWARD I78. HEAVIER PCPN MIXES AND CHANGES BRIEFLY TO SNOW
MIDDAY. IF THE PCPN LIGHTENS UP...IT SHOULD GO BACK TO RAIN ALONG
AND S OF I78.

I ADDED MORE SNOW TO THE WEATHER GRIDS TODAY AND A FASTER CHANGE
THIS EVENING BUT NO CHANGE IN ACCUMS SINCE TEMPS IN THE LOWER 30S
MIDDAY AND WHILE ACCUM ON GRASS AND CARS...LESS ON PAVEMENT. AN
SPS IS POSTED FOR THE CC R/S TRANSITION ZONE.

915: LOOKED AT 12Z NAM AND WHILE IT LOOKS MORE REALISTIC AM NOT
QUITE SURE HOW WE GET ALL THIS SNOW TONIGHT. NO BIG CHANGE IN THE
FCST AT 930AM. IT DOES LOOK LIKE THE REGION E OF RTE 206 IN NJ
WILL GET A PRETTY SUBSTANTIAL SNOW TODAY BUT FOR EVERYONE IN THE
ADVY/ WARNING THE MAIN EVENT IS TONIGHT...ESPECIALLY 0Z-6Z. I
THINK THE 12Z NAM IS STILL TOO WARM LOOKING AT ITS 12Z TSECTIONS
AND SEEING THE CC NOT MOVING NORTH YET FROM ABOUT 20 MI N OF I95.

Archived