joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8/9 Blizzard of 13' Images

TalcottWx

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

everyone thanks for the pics, it was such an amazing storm, just amazing , and everyone from LL to chris M to messenger got blasted! How sweet. Even ray got 28 or so, Jay i'm glad you got to go up and live thru this one, your pics were awesome, same to midlowx awesome you were in the city and the shot w/ cantore, the HD vid of the death band was classic, S++ and some styro balls or somethin fallin as well, i love how everyone's damn car was buried. Messenger had some very cool photo's of an ice and sand blasted house as well as power down. just an awesome storm, awesome board, can't wait till do it again.... i think we certainly will somewhere in SNE.

Boston does a great job cleaning up. Everything considered Scott, your street looks clean from that amount of snow

There are streets still unplowed like 3 blocks over, so go figure. Unlike Tolland, we know how to plow. There was a plow every hour here during the storm. One city truck followed by a back hoe.

There are streets still unplowed like 3 blocks over, so go figure. Unlike Tolland, we know how to plow. There was a plow every hour here during the storm. One city truck followed by a back hoe.

The city has it down to a science. Real impressive. Wills's pictures from orh look like they did a real good job.

We know how to plow..When you live in an area of steep hils and winding roads it's not as easy as plowing straight rds at sea level

Worcester can do it, why can't Tolland?? All those txes you pay...wasted. Look what we had..back hoes and 12 wheelers.

I've been wondering why NStar was doing such a horrific job in SE Ma getting the power on. They're averaging only 2k customers back in per hour...will be. 3-4 days for everyone.

Then I read they merged with the power company from Connecticut a few months ago. We've been conneticutized. Could be weeks for power.

If mass highway ever merges snow removal operations with Connecticut we are all screwed

I've been wondering why NStar was doing such a horrific job in SE Ma getting the power on. They're averaging only 2k customers back in per hour...will be. 3-4 days for everyone.

Then I read they merged with the power company from Connecticut a few months ago. We've been conneticutized. Could be weeks for power.

If mass highway ever merges snow removal operations with Connecticut we are all screwed

Look above. Trees everywhere. Cut through 22" of snow with trees and wired down along with temps near zero. 

Main street Marshfield. Courtesy of Patriot Ledger. All those trees down.

Marsffield.jpg

Your parents are screwed too. They've made almost no progress in marshfield. Still over 90%.

I think Coakley was right nstar does a pretty awful job updating customers and being prepared. They're just bringing in the extra crews as of 6am today. Lol, they knew this was going to be terrible 4 days ago.

Look above. Trees everywhere. Cut through 22" of snow with trees and wired down along with temps near zero.

They've got plenty of free cutting contractors. More by far of those than paired line crews. My buddies are doing a lot of the details. One of the problems is just not enough crews. As of 6am today a bunch from CT,NH and Quebec are on the clock. The question people always have for nstar is why they didn't bring the crews in yesterday or preposition the other day. The reason of course is $. It's cheaper to pay the fine from the attorney general when she goes off again than to bring crews in during each big storm.

It's nstars management. When they were boston Edison they probably had way too many workers but they were effective. Nstar is about the bottom line and it costs money to have union guys ready to roll. Lots of my buddies retired out of nstar in the last ten years. Most say the change in culture was brutal...squeezing them for more efficiency with fewer guys.

We're really lucky the CF came through when it did and that it dynamically cooled to 31. If we were stuck at 32-33 for a few more hours with the heavy snow we would probably have been fooked in the city also.

Well the snow became lighter as the night went on even without the CF. I noted by about 4pm or so..it was already blowing off roofs so that's good. Down there it was a wetter snow for sure. 

Archived