Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storms like this make the non belt GL/OV v. SNE who gets better winters storms debate seem ridiculous  

Fixed it for ya :lmao:

Seriously though,...interior New England has better winters than most non-belt Great Lakes....coastal New England (Boston) its not even debatable imo. Our winters are better in every aspect (frequency of snowfall, snowcover, cold) except their ability to have massive storms. And they have had next to no winter (other than a day of snow here and there that melts instantly) in 2 years. 9" last winter total, 9" this winter. Very feast or famine. Of course....this is for people like me who like WINTER. if you just like massive STORMS, your odds are better in Boston.

Speaking of...I have a feeling YYZ will outsnow BOS on this storm :) With YYZ ptype is not an issue, in BOS it is. All comes down to qpf. Good luck. We look to probably get a quick thump of snow, nice snowpack refresher, but miss the heavy snow to the north. I just hope it stays all frozen, as models have the MI border as the frozen/liquid line right now.

This is a good euro link for thiose of us who dont get text output

http://www.yr.no/place/United_States/Michigan/Detroit_Metropolitan_Wayne_County_Airport/long.html

I would agree with bigger storms.  Otherwise, you compare Boston to Milwaukee, which is a really good comparison as they're at a similar latitude and both have a body of water to their east, and Milwaukee gets overall more wintry conditions on a regular basis, but receives more nickel and dime storms in comparison I'm pretty sure.

For sure. MKE averages 5" more snow than BOS per year, but 36 more days of snowcover, and average temp is some 7-8F colder. Definitely more wintry overall, less chance of the occasional crippling storm.

36" would last 36 days anyhow.... Going to be an interesting period. I also don't think the overperforming systems are over a thing of the past. Perhaps its time to fire up the machines and get ready to make some mountains.

Do you do parking lots or main roads? Basically the week has been where parking lots need plowing, main roads salting.

Seriously though,...interior New England has better winters than most non-belt Great Lakes....coastal New England (Boston) its not even debatable imo. Our winters are better in every aspect (frequency of snowfall, snowcover, cold) except their ability to have massive storms. And they have had next to no winter (other than a day of snow here and there that melts instantly) in 2 years. 9" last winter total, 9" this winter. Very feast or famine. Of course....this is for people like me who like WINTER. if you just like massive STORMS, your odds are better in Boston.

Speaking of...I have a feeling YYZ will outsnow BOS on this storm :) With YYZ ptype is not an issue, in BOS it is. All comes down to qpf. Good luck. We look to probably get a quick thump of snow, nice snowpack refresher, but miss the heavy snow to the north. I just hope it stays all frozen, as models have the MI border as the frozen/liquid line right now.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_States/Michigan/Detroit_Metropolitan_Wayne_County_Airport/long.html

No offense but I don't see YYZ outdoing BOS on this storm. Not saying YYZ is not in line for a good hit because they are.

I wonder if there's a way to aggregate and then average all the climo data in a particular geographical region to get a "wintry quotient" or something. Problem with comparing big cities is that while they're generally the population center of a region they're not always the climatological center. I don't think of Boston as an exemplar of SNE's climate anymore than I think of Chicago as an exemplar of the Great Lake's climate.  

Exactly.

And "WINTER" has a different meaning to EVERYONE. It's definition is SUBJECTIVE. So Boston does in Fact get better winters than all of us according to SOME.

Yep its all subjective depends on what you like. I personally like winter. I don't like above average temps. I'm very happy to get numerous 2-4" events and have a deep snow pack. That is what I like similar to freak. although at the same time I do know this that DTW gets a major beat-down up against Boston when you compare major events. Don't think there 2 12"+ events since 1982 can hold much ground... :lol: against Boston. Winter overall: edge goes to Detroit.

I appreciate Josh trying to rub some of his good vibes off on us but I gotta concur with Stebo. My seasonal total *might* beat what BOS sees in that one storm. :lol:

Well I mean you are getting a good hitter, but to compare to the prospect of a huge storm for BOS is a bit silly.

BOS will out snow DTW,GRR,and YYZ comibined from this event.

Archived