EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM is dangerously close to whiffing Hamilton completely. We're right on the line between a 6" storm and barely 2". Praying this doesn't go north any more.

Too close for comfort.

nam_namer_060_precip_ptot.gif

It's one run and one run of the NAM no less. But I think I'm going to hold off making any calls 'til tomorrow morning when I've seen the rest of the 0z suite.

One rule that'll help me sleep tonight: Wyandotte always gets hit. Josh's snow magnet will prevent this from getting as far north as the 0z NAM is depicting, <0.10" QPF for far SE MI? No chance in hell.

Kinda funny but i was thinking the exact same thing. :lol:

Ofcourse for here this run is very legit as the heaviest snows just miss to my nw. ANYTHING that JUST misses here with the heaviest snows this winter is legit. :P

One rule that'll help me sleep tonight: Wyandotte always gets hit. Josh's snow magnet will prevent this from getting as far north as the 0z NAM is depicting, <0.10" QPF for far SE MI? No chance in hell.

Wouldn't sweat it until the Dr changes, if it does. It's been rock solid for several runs for you.

Easy for me to say I guess...but we need not lose sleep over the fookin NAM. Trash model.  :)

I wonder if there's a way to aggregate and then average all the climo data in a particular geographical region to get a "wintry quotient" or something. Problem with comparing big cities is that while they're generally the population center of a region they're not always the climatological center. I don't think of Boston as an exemplar of SNE's climate anymore than I think of Chicago as an exemplar of the Great Lake's climate.  

The metric I like in addition to temperature, snowfall, and snow cover days, is snow depth days...basically the snow depth x days of snowcover..someone put this together out west..

If you put together a two value component index with a percentile rank of temperature and percentile rank of snow depth days I think that would give a meaningful index to compare...

Well for most in MI and SSC backyard the GFS is not much different. A tad more QPF in se part of state but that is it. The bigger difference is back towards SE WI/N.IL/IA etc..

Actually noticed some slight difference in GFS QPF via NCEP page and InstantWeatherMaps. InstantWeathermaps sugesting 10-12" here (actually what the Euro had). Should have a WSW up here tomorrow morning if nothing drastically chages with the Euro. Hoping it's a little more south for you and SSC.

Archived