e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every weather outlet seems to be going with 4-6" for the GTA, not sure which forecasting tools they've been looking at 24 hrs out

It's a narrow corridor and we're still 24 hours out. I think that's a decent if conservative call. I'm only going slightly higher at 6-8". No need to start taking the EURO or NAM numbers and using a 15:1 ratio. Just a setup for disappointment.

It's a narrow corridor and we're still 24 hours out. I think that's a decent if conservative call. I'm only going slightly higher at 6-8". No need to start taking the EURO or NAM numbers and using a 15:1 ratio. Just a setup for disappointment.

6-8" seems about right to me too, with potentially 9" for areas closer to the lake.

GFS is saying 6", Euro and NAM are spitting out a foot, GEM is around 5.5"

I'm not seeing why the 6-8" I was hearing yesterday from outlets is now 4-6". What grounds they're using to base the decrease off I don't know.

Low reaches Monroe County south of Detroit. Means a period of dry slotting 696 south. needs to shift at least another 50 --75 miles south.  

The NAM is garbage and is the least consistent. Euro has been steadfast for days (though qpf is increasing) and GFS is trending towards the Euro. Not to mention this is the NAMs best run yet for MI, as its trying to trend Euros way as well.

Keep in mind, initially the Saginaw Valley will see advisory snows tomorrow alone out ahead of the system. Snow may reach as far south as you, but I dont expect any snow in Detroit tomorrow. The main show will be Thursday night into Friday morning.

Had a nice run though no?

Overachieving 1-3" events aren't anything to write home about.

NAM is an improvement, but it still has a long way to go. At the same time, the ECMWF is a wet/southern outlier at this time. WE'll probably end up somewhere in the middle.

Then of course there's the fear of starting off as a mix/rain as well, as profiles start off marginal early on.

I'm thinking 1-4" here at this time. Joy...

Looking at the NAM sounding shows a more pronounced warm layer than I thought. Between 940mb-820mb the mean temp is 3.6C  much warmer than previous runs. Evaporational  cooling does cool the column but still the column stays slightly above freezing pretty much  the entire time. Its something to watch especially with the 12z GFS but I guess this could be a situation were we get an isothermal layer at 0C from 850-950mb. We will see..

Nice 0.75-1.00'' QPF here on the 12z GFS

RGEM also looks like it'd be pretty sweet. Looks like 1/2" of QPF down by 12z FRI with more to come.

You need to download the BUFKIT program to use it. Buffalo NWS has a link for it. Don't worry though. It's just for laughs anyways as it tends to be inflated with its snowfall output.

Archived