• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm

wisconsinwx

1.23" for YYZ. So I was hitting the bottle early on Sunday when I booked a 10"+ storm for you this winter, eh SSC?

0.56" at DTW is very nice....as long as there are better than 10-1 ratios, this would actually beat Dec 26 for our biggest storm of the winter. That was 6.3" but on 0.44" water. Like I said wont get too excited til other models on board.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a guess based off of maps, we have two 6 hour periods of 0.1-0.25" QPF, and one period of 0.25-0.5"QPF, so probably about 0.6-0.7"QPF, and nearly all should be snow based on 850s.

Nice, I see RAC has .84 qpf, all snow. I would think MKX would have some sort of headline up by the time I wake up tomorrow.

1.23" for YYZ. So I was hitting the bottle early on Sunday when I booked a 10"+ storm for you this winter, eh SSC?

0.56" at DTW is very nice....as long as there are better than 10-1 ratios, this would actually beat Dec 26 for our biggest storm of the winter. That was 6.3" but on 0.44" water. Like I said wont get too excited til other models on board.

Man, that's awesome.  Hope trends continue and they get obliterated there. 

Just throwing this out there, because it could be relevant, but the Euro last night had 925mb temps at ORD for 18z Tuesday (today) at 0.1C. I don't believe ORD got above 30F or 31F today, correct me if I'm wrong, so that could be a good sign that even the Euro could be overdoing temps just a wee bit and not taking snowcover into account.

ORD had a high of 34.

QPF aka "Quantitative Precipitation Forecast" is a forecast of liquid/water equivalent of whatever will fall.

Usually for every 1" of rain/liquid you get 10" of snow aka a 10:1 ratio..

Ah thank you very much. I knew what QPF was but I didn't really understand the conversion. Same thing as the 1 mm water = 1 cm snow rule of thumb.

Wow that would be huge for YYZ.. nearly 13" !?

I apologize for asking, but what exactly is the correlation between QPF and accumulations?

Every snowfall is different. Average climo for snow ratios in the southern Great Lakes is 12-14:1, meaning 1 inch of water will yield 12-14" of snow. But every snowfall is different. You can easily have ratios as low as 5:1 or as high as 30:1, and on rare occasion lower or higher (lake belts often see 40:1). The old rule of thumb was 1" of water = 10" of snow, but thats not all too common here (though it does happen).

All numbers on a screen. When it's ruler in the snow, you'll get my formal apology.

Certainly nice to see the EURO go nuts a bit after the NAM made me sweat it out.

Fudge it. It's already 10 to 3. Might as well get a sneak peak at the 6z NAM.

Archived