EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it or does it just say they get bigger storms?

I would agree with bigger storms.  Otherwise, you compare Boston to Milwaukee, which is a really good comparison as they're at a similar latitude and both have a body of water to their east, and Milwaukee gets overall more wintry conditions on a regular basis, but receives more nickel and dime storms in comparison I'm pretty sure.

MKX is going really conservative with QPF amounts, interesting to say the least.  They have between 0.3 and 0.4"QPF, less than half of the Euro and about half the GEM and UKMET.  I realize there is still time for things to shift, but it seems the only reason they would do this is to avoid overhyping.

I would agree with bigger storms.  Otherwise, you compare Boston to Milwaukee, which is a really good comparison as they're at a similar latitude and both have a body of water to their east, and Milwaukee gets overall more wintry conditions on a regular basis, but receives more nickel and dime storms in comparison I'm pretty sure.

The averages are pretty similar no? Slightly less days with snowcover in exchange for crippling blizzards that occur more frequently than once in a lifetime is a no brainer imho.

The averages are pretty similar no? Slightly less days with snowcover in exchange for crippling blizzards that occur more frequently than once in a lifetime is a no brainer imho.

Yes, both average in the 40-50" range per winter, and although I don't know the exact days of snowcover comparison, I'm sure Milwaukee is a bit ahead, it's easier for Boston to torch in the winter, and there are times when Milwaukee just lucks out being north of a large temperature contrast zone.

It is, I'd take 36" of snow if it all came at once versus penny fluff for 36 days.

36" would last 36 days anyhow.... Going to be an interesting period. I also don't think the overperforming systems are over a thing of the past. Perhaps its time to fire up the machines and get ready to make some mountains.

NAM BUFKIT spits out 7-8" for YYZ depending upon technique. Also shows a really strong LES signal early on before delta ts and inversion heights crash. I don't think we'll get amounts as high, but this kind sorta has a January 26-27, 2004 feel to it.

I'll be leaving for Ottawa at 2:00pm Thursday by car... Thinking its going to be a heck of a drive the whole way. Seems as though YOW will get similar if not more snowfall.

Archived