• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February Pattern and Storm Discussion

POWERSTROKE

Yep, a real surprise to me based on the warmer earlier look. Because the 12Z Doc is warmer earlier, the AL/MS snow is much reduced. GA is about a wash. Basically the big snow is further NE and is a huge hit for NC, E TN, and N SC! The clown has 4-8" for a large area there and two small areas of 8-10" max with ~10" at Charlotte (bullseye)! For NC, this is probably the second or third heaviest snow on a Euro run this season!

The 12Z Euro run is another good lesson in climo for the northern Gulf coast states. On this run, it isn't a Miller A..it is further north and consequently is too warm for sig. snow in these areas other than a decent amount (1-2") mainly in N GA on the backside as an upper low passes. For N GA/N AL/N MS to get a widespread major snow out of this, it really needs to go back to its further south track. Climo for NC is different and more variable since they're further north. They can benefit from many situations as they're often in

the driver's seat being colder. However, a classic Miller A snow would also usually give them a major snow.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12Z Euro run is another good lesson in climo for the northern Gulf coast states. On this run, it isn't a Miller A..it is further north and consequently is too warm for sig. snow in these areas other than a decent amount (1-2") mainly in N GA on the backside as an upper low passes. For N GA/N AL/N MS to get a widespread major snow out of this, it really needs to go back to its further south track. Climo for NC is different and more variable since they're further north. They can benefit from many situations as they're often in

the driver's seat being colder. However, a classic Miller A snow would also usually give them a major snow.

All that being said I'm taking this run with a huge grain of salt. I do like the idea of something coming on the end of this impressive cold making it's way into the south though.

It looks good now. If it keeps showing on the models and doesn't try to push it back again, then we can take it seriously. We've been burned before by great looking storms 10 days out only for them to disappear as we get closer. The positive thing is we have a good pattern on our side with the meterological aspect. I have mentioned March 1980 before. I would love to see that again.

I mentioned yesterday that the 3/6 - 3/7 time frame needed to be looked at more than the 3/3. Imo this time looks more promising. Of course only 10 days away. ;)

All that being said I'm taking this run with a huge grain of salt. I do like the idea of something coming on the end of this impressive cold making it's way into the south though.

I think you both are pointing to the only legitimate time frame in which anyone outside elevation would see the possibility.  The tail end of that cold dozer would be the best time for anything to materialize for us in my opinion.

I am really now just waiting for severe season to start but if we get something wintry in early Mar I won't complain. Not really expecting it but at least there is a shot it looks like.

I'm with you on severe season.......tough to really get too caught up in any of these winter events since they've all been 8-10 days out it seems this year. Any indications of what our severe season may look like from this early on?

This is the southeast in late February, it may or may not do anything in the coming two to three weeks.  Winter weather certainly isn't "common" even here banked up against the apps. 

With that said, any time you have an analog package showing 1960 more than once you should take notice.  I would expect more runs of the models (like the Euro today) to start showing more in the way of potential storms.  As always, time will tell.........it's not like we don't have anything on the table - even if we are late to the party.

What a cold looking pattern. Here a block, there a block, everywhere a block!

12zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH240.gif

Does anybody want to elaborate on the potential effects of this "double block" look that I've hearing about in a few places?  What's the significance of that?  I know the cold will be funnelled in but will that help make the SE stormier/wetter? 

Does anybody want to elaborate on the potential effects of this "double block" look that I've hearing about in a few places?  What's the significance of that?  I know the cold will be funnelled in but will that help make the SE stormier/wetter? 

For one the "double block" will deliver plenty of cold air. Also the pna ridge looks to relax which will make things stormier. Also, we are looking out towards mid march. The stj will be more active as we change seasons. Once the upper low that sits over the lakes this week moves into eastern Canada storms will have more room to develop, instead of getting crushed.

For one the "double block" will deliver plenty of cold air. Also the pna ridge looks to relax which will make things stormier. Also, we are looking out towards mid march. The stj will be more active as we change seasons. Once the upper low that sits over the lakes this week moves into eastern Canada storms will have more room to develop, instead of getting crushed.

Thanks for that.  I didn't think of the "buying time" scenerio with the double block.  But yes, if we keep the cold long enugh, things may be more favorable to get a storm underneath the -NAO that still exists, but is weakening.  I thought the western block however would do the opposite and increase the PNA ridge.  Or is the other block the Alaska ridge? 

Excerpt from the Huntsville AFD

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_afd_hun.php

THE COLD TEMPS NOTED ABOVE...COUPLED WITH A DISTURBANCE FORECAST TO
ARRIVE DURING THE FRI/SAT TIMEFRAME COULD BRING A CHANCE OF SNOW TO
THE TENNESSEE VALLEY. THE GFS SHOWED THIS YESTERDAY...WITH THE ECMWF
JOINING IN LAST NIGHT...AND WITH ITS 12Z RUN TODAY. AM NOT THINKING
MORE THAN A DUSTING (IF THAT) AT THIS TIME...GIVEN IT WILL BE EARLY
MARCH. BUT ACCUMULATING SNOWS HAVE OCCURRED REGIONALLY IN THE LATE
WINTER...MOST NOTABLY THE MID MARCH 1993 SUPER STORM.

I mentioned yesterday that the 3/6 - 3/7 time frame needed to be looked at more than the 3/3. Imo this time looks more promising. Of course only 10 days away. ;)

It has been one of the better 10 day snow total winters.  Mine is just now reaching the bottom of my second story windows.

It looks good now. If it keeps showing on the models and doesn't try to push it back again, then we can take it seriously. We've been burned before by great looking storms 10 days out only for them to disappear as we get closer. The positive thing is we have a good pattern on our side with the meterological aspect. I have mentioned March 1980 before. I would love to see that again.

boy if we had a fourth of the snowstorms that the models called for at 10 days out we would of had a successful winter for snow and I would be ready for spring.  but we all know how those storms turned out.  there then gone.

boy if we had a fourth of the snowstorms that the models called for at 10 days out we would of had a successful winter for snow and I would be ready for spring.  but we all know how those storms turned out.  there then gone.

Actually, I can not remember many good fantasy storms this year; especially with the GFS.  I only remember maybe 2 for the EURO.  I could be wrong on that though. 

guys I see there is snow showers for the mtns of nc thursday, friday and saturday.  sometimes when gsp does this there is a chance of a winter storm on the horizon.  is there any thing showing of a possible storm 3/1-3/2 time frame.  I know at one time there was the potential. is it still there?

This is the southeast in late February, it may or may not do anything in the coming two to three weeks. Winter weather certainly isn't "common" even here banked up against the apps.

With that said, any time you have an analog package showing 1960 more than once you should take notice. I would expect more runs of the models (like the Euro today) to start showing more in the way of potential storms. As always, time will tell.........it's not like we don't have anything on the table - even if we are late to the party.

Wxsouth agrees with him. I spoke to him today and said he thinks we really look good for snow lovers. More will be on site later he said

guys I see there is snow showers for the mtns of nc thursday, friday and saturday.  sometimes when gsp does this there is a chance of a winter storm on the horizon.  is there any thing showing of a possible storm 3/1-3/2 time frame.  I know at one time there was the potential. is it still there?

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...
MOISTURE/CLOUDS WILL INCREASE OVER THE MOUNTAINS BY LATE IN THE DAYAS AN UPPER TROUGH APPROACHES. SOME SCT RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS MAYDEVELOP BY LATE WED ALONG THE TENNESSEE BORDER COUNTIES. PROFILESCONTINUE TO MOISTEN AND COOL OVER THE MOUNTAINS WED NIGHT WITH THEWINDS TURING MORE NW. THIS COMBINATION ALONG WITH SOME UPPER AIRSUPPORT IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE NUMEROUS SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THEMOUNTAINS...ESPECIALLY IN THE FAVORED UPSLOPE AREAS. AT LEAST SCT NWFLOW SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THU AS WINDS AND MOISTUREREMAIN FAVORABLE...THOUGH COVERAGE IS EXPECTED TO DECREASE THROUGHTHE DAY THU. SNOW TOTALS OVER THE MOUNTAINS FOR WED NIGHT AND THUSHOULD BE IN THE 1 TO 3 INCH RANGE.

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...
THE DEEP LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER THE NEU.S. ON FRI WILL MOVE OFFSHORE...BUT WITH ADDITIONAL PIECES OFSHORTWAVE ENERGY MOVING SWD THROUGH THE CENTRAL AND ERN CONUS TOMAINTAIN THE UPPER TROUGH OVER THE AREA. AT LOW LEVELS...ENOUGHUPSTREAM MOISTURE WILL PERSIST IN THE COLD NW FLOW TO KEEP SCATTEREDUPSLOPE SNOW SHOWERS GOING ACROSS THE WRN NC MTNS THROUGH FRIDAY.MEANWHILE...THE STRONGEST UPSTREAM SHORTWAVE WILL DIG OVER THE LOWERMS RIVER VALLEY...WITH THIS FEATURE LIKELY CROSSING THE EXTREMESOUTHERN APPALACHIANS AND ADJACENT FOOTHILLS AND PIEDMONT SOMETIMEON SAT. THE ECMWF REMAINS THE MOST VIGOROUS WITH THIS WAVE...BRIEFLYCLOSING IT OFF ON SAT...BUT THE GFS/CMC ARE ALSO EXHIBITING BETTERTROUGHINESS AND MOISTURE WITH THE WAVE. EVEN THE LESS AMPLIFEDMODELS APPEAR TO HAVE A FAIRLY POTENT VORT LOBE CROSSING THEREGION...AND 850 TO 500 MB LAPSE RATES UP TO 6.5 DEG C/KM MAYSUPPORT ISOLD TO SCT SNOW SHOWERS EAST OF THE MTNS SAT. POPS HAVEBEEN ADJUSTED UP SLIGHTLY FROM THE PREVIOUS FORECAST.A RETURN TO NW FLOW UPSLOPE MOISTURE WILL YIELD ADDITIONAL LIGHT MTNSNOW SHOWER ACCUMS INTO SUNDAY AS THE UPPER TROUGH AXIS BECOMESREINFORCED BY ADDITIONAL SHORTWAVE ENERGY.

Yep, a real surprise to me based on the warmer earlier look. Because the 12Z Doc is warmer earlier, the AL/MS snow is much reduced. GA is about a wash. Basically the big snow is further NE and is a huge hit for NC, E TN, and N SC! The clown has 4-8" for a large area there and two small areas of 8-10" max with ~10" at Charlotte (bullseye)! For NC, this is probably the second or third heaviest snow on a Euro run this season!

You can follow the link to Brad Panovich's Facebook page if others want to actually see the map.

Archived